504TH PIR HELMET

Costa

ok guys, I saw it and waited patiently for it and got it. I am pretty much convinced its a good one and took a chance. yes it was on ebay ---161727315885--- another costly item but, I'm happy.

post-73-0-94662700-1434244369.jpg

Looks like post war repaint with the shiny green color.

Let me know if I am wrong about that.

Also looks like a rear seam AB helmet.

The liner looks like a Westy with original paint.

Insignia looks super fresh. There were coming home helmets... and the shell may be too late for that event. ZFrom your pics it looks like the insignia was added to get more cash for it. Can somebody ID the name and prove he was in the 504th?

The homecoming Victory parade was in New York City 1946.....this helmet is very late WWII produced and is the perfect example of a late war/occupation/parade 504th helmet that i wouldnt hesitate for a second adding it to my shelf!.....mike

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the helmet. The 504th came came home in 1946, and was made up of mostly replacements at that point. It is not uncommon to see these helmets in better than average condition, and this one looks a lot like one I own, spare the exact stencil. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/228218-my-latest-airborne-addition/

USMC-RECON0321

The homecoming Victory parade was in New York City 1946.....this helmet is very late WWII produced and is the perfect example of a late war/occupation/parade 504th helmet that i wouldnt hesitate for a second adding it to my shelf!.....mike

I like it also, not to mention I love the un-messed with Westy liner with the custom work done inside to the nape and chinstrap!!

Congrats.

Troy

I liked it enough to be second. I would put it somewhere close to the end of WWII.

I tried but I couldn't keep up, I came in 4th! :) ....but I already have one so I wasn't too broken hearted and I'm glad a forum member caught this one! The markings look fresh but I have no doubt they're original to the helmet, and like Troy I really like the liner with the customised nape strap done up for comfort, I think the liner itself is the real sleeper in this set.

Just for comparison here's mine....a little bit more worn than Costas, maybe used for occupation duty rather than as a parade lid...

Rick

post-9167-0-96218900-1434296999.jpg

post-9167-0-94653900-1434297034.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the helmet. The 504th came came home in 1946, and was made up of mostly replacements at that point. It is not uncommon to see these helmets in better than average condition, and this one looks a lot like one I own, spare the exact stencil. http://www.usmilitar...borne-addition/

To B24AT6: I do not think anything is wrong with the helmet either.

My only point is the paint on costa's looks like that 50s green color.

The one you have and the one that Rick posted is not that same shiny color.

Again, I could be wrong, I am just pointing that out.

Heck the liner alone makes the set worth a good bit of money.

• 9 months later...