M1 Helmet Liner w/Air Base Defense Decal

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: I recently picked up a WWII front seam M1 helmet but with post-war chin strap w/WWII liner. The helmet has a WWII Westinghouse liner with a 1st LT silver pin-back bar in the front.

On each side of the liner are decals which have "ABD" with a USAF style eagle with a red chain & stars

When I researched "ABD", I found "Air Base Defense" but I've never heard of this element. Does anyone have info on this command/element/etc? FYI..I've served in the USAF from 1972 until 2013 when I retired from the USAF Reserve....so I'm guessing 1950s-60s....?? Thanks,

post-153915-0-81664400-1425277136.jpg

I have never seen this before and really can't help you out. Maybe some of the 'nam era helmet collectors can help you out here.

Yes...I figured that there are some Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) out here that know this...it's all new to me....but I'm always learning new things. Thank you for your comments. I figured USAF Security Police (SP) like we had when I was in...and I was an "Augmentee" Security Policeman since the USAF deemed my position "Non-essential" so I served as SP when there were OREs and ORIs...especially "Crested Cap" for the USAF...."REFORGER" (Return of Forces to Germany) for the US Army folks. (1974-76 in USAFE).

This decal on this WWII helmet liner is probably Vietnam period.

Again...Thanks,

• 1 year later...