Help ID 504th Military Police Badge

rockysgoldandsilver

rockysgoldandsilver

Really cool badge with 3rd Army insignia. Reads "Military Police 504 BN. 75". Anyone have any info on this piece?

post-141295-0-65977600-1414608599.jpg

post-141295-0-64203700-1414608603.jpg

I would guess 50's-60's era when stationed at Camp Gordon, GA.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/mp/0504mpbn.htm

Agreed, it's got to be from when this unit was at Cp/Ft Gordon, Oct 1950-Oct 1962, after this Oct date the 504th MP Bn was transferred to Ft Lewis, Washington St. It arrived in the RVN from Lewis on 31 August 1965.

rockysgoldandsilver

Thanks for the replies! Can I ask what it is that make you guys certain it's from that era? And what does the 75 mean?

'75' is the badge number.The 3rd Army insignia matches the time period used.When stationed at Ft. Lewis the would have been 4th Army and the 3rd Army was not in Vietnam.

@Firefighter. Starting in the late 40s/early 50s, Washington State fell under 6th Army FF :D

@rocky, 3rd Army controlled the state of Georgia were Fort Gordon is located this is why it has the insignia, and which by the way looks like a Patch Type Crest applied to it. The 504th MP Bn then being Army level troop unit (Army Troops) would not only be wearing this on this badge, but as a standard shoulder patch on uniforms and on the MP brassard, if this particular form of brassard was worn, maybe depending on the year, even as a decal on the steel pot and or liner, some decals were worn on the sides, some times not, as here

In WWII the Army had only two Armies that did not go overseas the 2nd and the 4th, the 2nd eventually had command of America east of the Mississippi, the 4th west of it, in the late 1940s this changed, most of the wartime armies save four, the 8th in Japan, the 7th in Germany (reactivated briefly for around 10 months at Atlanta, from late 1950 in Germany) were now active, the 9th and 10th Armies were not reactivated. These being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, each was given a geographical area to command, the 3rd Army got the Deep South as far west up to and including the State of Mississippi? not sure there.

@Firefighter. Starting in the late 40s/early 50s, Washington State fell under 6th Army FF :D

@rocky, 3rd Army controlled the state of Georgia were Fort Gordon is located this is why it has the insignia, and which by the way looks like a Patch Type Crest applied to it. The 504th MP Bn then being Army level troop unit (Army Troops) would not only be wearing this on this badge, but as a standard shoulder patch on uniforms and on the MP brassard, if this particular form of brassard was worn, maybe depending on the year, even as a decal on the steel pot and or liner, some decals were worn on the sides, some times not, as here

In WWII the Army had only two Armies that did not go overseas the 2nd and the 4th, the 2nd eventually had command of America east of the Mississippi, the 4th west of it, in the late 1940s this changed, most of the wartime armies save four, the 8th in Japan, the 7th in Germany (reactivated briefly for around 10 months at Atlanta, from late 1950 in Germany) were now active, the 9th and 10th Armies were not reactivated. These being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, each was given a geographical area to command, the 3rd Army got the Deep South as far west up to and including the State of Mississippi? not sure there.

After I put 4th Army I had a feeling I was wrong.I should have realized 6th Army was west coast.I knew it wasn't 3rd Army.I get points for that right? LOL

Nice looking badge.To bad the enamel is chipped.Still a cool badge.