Flash and Ovals ID's

36-tex

468arm_abn
On 4/11/2024 at 7:17 PM, McChizzle said:

I would love to see your other pages on Alaska beret flashes for I am confused by some of them. How definitive is your information (i.e. what do you use as an authoritative source for these flashes and ovals)?

I neglected to say about my references that I have relied heavily on the information from very knowable fellow collectors also over the years.

I wanted to add these 38th SF Company flashes, as legit examples are hard to find.  These were saved from the internut and purport to be army issue, according to the seller.  38th SF Co. (AK ARNG) existed from 1964-76.

The first flash is from a 1964 government contract for the Alaska NG in Anchorage, by Best Emblem (Denmark Military) at their Eveready Embroidery factory in New Jersey.  Fully embroidered, with merrowed edge, and no plastic backing.

The bottom flash is from from the second government contract (1969);  same info.

The are actually three types in Hudspeath's book, the third being fully embroidered but no merrowing. 

38SF1964.jpg.22376748665c8e378ae1c3c31b5808f0.jpg

38SF1969.jpg.f1faeb47561824128642d4a773bc9641.jpg

McChizzle
5 hours ago, 468arm_abn said:

Excuse the delay in getting back to you on this as I have been out of town and just got back this morning. Give me a chance to get caught up and I will send all the 

"Alaska Airborne" sheets I have excluding the current 11th Airborne Division information as I have not yet included them in that file. As for my references, in my 50 years of collecting I have accumulated scores of books, news articles, military journals, monographs. as well as having  the Chute & Dagger and Trading Post publications for the past 30-50 years. I also use the IOH website on an almost daily bases for a lot of my references also.

That is great, thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

For your sheet on 1983-1985 flashes, ovals, and DUIs, the gray with block border flash for airborne elements of the 172nd Inf BDE HQ is not one I have found any information as to its existence or use. If you don't mind pointing me in the right direction for some good references for that flash and its association to this unit, I would appreciate it.