Flash and Ovals ID's

36-tex

52nd Infantry Company E

Please note: This flash & oval recently approved for D Co 52d Inf Regt., (3d ACR)

This unit is the reflagged C Trp, 2d Sqd 38th Cav, 504th BfSB LRS unit

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The attached represent "obsolete" ovals of the 101st Airborne Division (AA)

Is there a Page 1 to this? I assumed by the name having a P2 in it that there may be a P1!

Thanks,

Wiley

Is there a Page 1 to this? I assumed by the name having a P2 in it that there may be a P1!

Thanks,

Wiley

Only difference between P1 & P2 is that P2 shows the inactivation date of the brigade.

• 3 weeks later...

5th SFG(A) will return to wearing the RVN era flash on March 23rd.

Sorry, posted wrong date the first time correct date is 23 March

5th SFG(A) will return to wearing the RVN era flash on March 26th.

Interesting. Maybe they got tired of having the least recognizable flash in SF? The black flash is almost invisible on the green beret.

I wonder if other groups will follow suit. Well, all except 3rd Group, they have the most distinctive and recognizable flash in SF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
greendevilsix

The 21st MP Company of the 503rd MP BN, Fort Bragg, NC also has an approved Flash and Background Trimming. This leaves only the 65th MP Company to request a separate Flash and Background Trimming to complete the Battalion. I've asked the 503rd MP BN,S-3 for a sneak peak of their proposed insignia but nothing yet.

post-1971-0-71771200-1471289154_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke a friend of mine who is the 1SG of the 118th MP CO and we got to talking about the companies getting their own flashes and ovals. I asked him what the 65th was thinking when they requested the flash. He mentioned that the current flash that was approved for the 65th MP Company by the TIOH is a mistake and that it is being addressed to be corrected. The flash that should have been approved will match the oval. Just FYI. Stay tuned for the change.

I spoke a friend of mine who is the 1SG of the 118th MP CO and we got to talking about the companies getting their own flashes and ovals. I asked him what the 65th was thinking when they requested the flash. He mentioned that the current flash that was approved for the 65th MP Company by the TIOH is a mistake and that it is being addressed to be corrected. The flash that should have been approved will match the oval. Just FYI. Stay tuned for the change.

Oh great! Even though the bend direction is opposite and the colors are flipped how long do you think it will take till someone gets the revised design confused with the 3/73 Armor.

I actually liked the flash design as first approved as long as the DUI will fit in the yellow-gold field.

• 1 month later...

IOH has posted the revised Flash

post-28488-0-99515300-1476491651_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

5th AB Pathfinder Detachment

I was sifting through this thread and noticed a flash listed for the 5th Pathfinders.

I'm not sure what this particular flash goes to, however it's not of the 5th Pathfinders.

I have the honor of having served as a member of the 5th Infantry Platoon (Pathfinder)(Airborne) from 1982 to 1986. The 5th Pathfinders was an Army Reserve unit, under the 97th Army Reserve Command. We worked primarily with the 180th Aviation, which flew UH-1s and CH-47s. We were co-located with the 11th Special Forces Group (Airborne) - of which I was also a member from 1980 to 1982.

We wore the 97th ARCOM unit patch with the blue and white Airborne tab, however on our field uniforms we were authorized to wear a distinctive unit scroll.

Our beret flash was orange, with a thing black border and diagonal stripe through the flash. Our Jump Wing oval was a black background with a think orange border.

Here are photos of our patch, flash and oval, as well as a photos of the 5th Pathfinders taken in 1984 (I'm on the second step on the right, wearing glasses with my arms crossed).

Bryan

post-152877-0-18478700-1485667863_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-86892400-1485667897_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-48479800-1485667967_thumb.jpg

Not sure which Flash you are talking about but two things come to mind. First, before the 5th Pathfinder designation was use for the USAR (your) unit it was used by the RA Pathfinder unit that supported the Army Aviation School at Fort Rucker. Next, there is a commercially produced knock off of a prototype Flash made by SFC Mike Parris of your old unit during the stand up phase. At most 3 may have been made by Mike and only one was ever worn on a very limited basis (if at all) by SFC Parris.I

Hope this helps.

Not sure which Flash you are talking about but two things come to mind. First, before the 5th Pathfinder designation was use for the USAR (your) unit it was used by the RA Pathfinder unit that supported the Army Aviation School at Fort Rucker. Next, there is a commercially produced knock off of a prototype Flash made by SFC Mike Parris of your old unit during the stand up phase. At most 3 may have been made by Mike and only one was ever worn on a very limited basis (if at all) by SFC Parris.I

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks!

I loved my time as a Pathfinder, as at that time our NCOs were Vietnam Vets. We were a 20-man platoon, with three 6-man Pathfinder teams (I was Senior Pathfinder on Team 1 "Bushmasters"), a Platoon Sergeant (Sergeant First Class) and a Platoon Leader (First Lieutenant). The 5th Pathfinders was disbanded in 1990 or 91, when the Reserve and National Guard units were realigned.

Bryan

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know what flash this is?

I have never seen this design before. Does this Flash have a merrowed edge? Design makes me think of the movie prop Flash in Stargate.