Ration Box

doyler

Recently found this Ration crate.Not the best shape but they just dont surface around here.

Was able to find a couple of the C-ration cans as well

post-342-0-80273800-1409457221.jpg

The cans

The silver one is a standard WW2 era B unit

The two copper/gold color are for a meal but they havent been opened and are empty.Not sure what era.One has a USDA stamp on it.They both show wear.Not sure if they were period or made for display.

post-342-0-06086400-1409457680.jpg

Great find Ron! I never see them around here. Do you have any plans to sell or trade some of the C Ration cans?

Have to dig and see if I have a duplicate or two ;)

Nice pick-up, Ron. The Loose-Wiles Biscuit Co. became Sunshine Biscuit Co. in 1946.

Thanks for the comment and the information.

I am contacting the guy I purchased these from.I was told he had these as his mother worked in on of the plants that made these.Would like to confirm if she did in fact bring these home with her.

Let us know what you find out, Ron. It would be interesting to hear if these were, in fact, "liberated" souvenirs from the biscuit factory!

I know the guy that owned all of these and he told me his mother worked at the plant and they were bring home from her. I passed on the K ration crate because I have one and didn't realized that the ration cans were being sold with the crate? as I say again they came from his mother and the guy is a military collector that had it.

I'm not for sure but if they were setting up the production lines to run one line ether dinner ,breakfast or the supper units they ran the cans empty first to make sure the cans were being sealed properly before they ran the product I know because I worked for a company that built food packanging equipment and would set up the machines and run no product at first to make sure every thing was was working proper and then run the product not to waste it or make a mess.

I sure these empty cans could be taken home as said a souvenirs.

Super rare find Ron!

Craig

Have been asked about the side seam and key tab details.

I agree with Craig these are possible production line samples.I have also worked in the packaging industry and we did the same when running batch lots or changing over product or replacing the packaging film.We would run test cycles to insure the film was sealing and on pillow packs that the seam wasnt failing to let the gas out.

post-342-0-41978900-1409809535.jpg

post-342-0-69323300-1409809592.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just found this posting. Those are great looking cans. The M units are really hard to find and I'm pretty confident they are original - I have never seen anybody make reproduction cans with the zip strips - and I have personally tried. The fact they are empty is even better and full tins are quite literally botulism bombs waiting to go off. I wouldn't be worried about the B Units, but if the M units were full I would have recommended emptying ASAP to save the cans. I had a can of VN fruit cocktail that exploded and made an incredible mess.

By the way, I don't believe the cans are correct for the crate. It looks like the end panel of the crate says 2 dozen 30 oz cans and your M Units are 12 oz cans. The 12 oz cans are correct issue for individual soldiers, but the 30 oz cans would have been issued as a component of the 5 in 1 ration or to mess kitchens as part of a B Ration.

Too bad Sterling Brands couldn't make us canned Meat and Vegetable Stew now :)

Definitely a great find!

Peter