BB&B Named & Numbered Purple Heart

DannyBMW

If he was wounded with the 1st Gas Reg, it will make this medal more desirable than usual. Its a good and scarce unit to find PHs from for WWI.

Kurt

This thread has kind of been like watching an episode of "History Detectives" and I have found it to be interesting. I would assume that if Leo Regan were to have been wounded with the 1st Infantry Division, that he would have also been awarded a Silver Star. He didn't show up in the search that I did for him as a Silver Star recipient, so odds are that he was wounded while a member of the 1st Gas Regiment.

As Kurt says, it is a very interesting and desirable unit as there are collectors who try to find medals to each unit in WWI.

Great thread everyone!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume that if Leo Regan were to have been wounded with the 1st Infantry Division, that he would have also been awarded a Silver Star.

I am curious as to why you think that being wounded in the 1st ID would equate to also be awarded a Silver Star.

Just a guess based on the 16th Infantries order of battle, but it looks like Leo Regan may have been wound during the American advance at Soissons during the Second Battle of the Marne. The 16th Inf. moved into position on the evening of the 17th of July and began their attack/advance on the 18th.

Unclegrumpy,

The reason I think he would be eligible for a Silver Star is because the 1st Infantry Division basically put all of their WIA soldiers on orders (GO #3) to award them the Silver Star device to be worn on the Victory medal and ribbon. In 1932, this device was upgraded to the Silver Star medal. The majority of Silver Star awards for World War I were to 1st Infantry Division soldiers.

Allan

I have a 1st Division group to a soldier that has 3 award cards. A Purple Heart awarded in 1932 and cited in GOs #1 and #5. No Silver Star on Victory Medal ribbon and no Silver Star Medal awarded.

I assume he did not claim the Silver Star Medal or it was reviewed and turned down. It would appear the award of the Silver Star to 1st Division men was not automatic.

W

Learning about that GO is interesting....thanks!

I will say that as an observation, I have seen many 1st ID PHs that were to men that were not awarded SSs. I have also read that when the Silver Star medal came out, there was a case by case review of the original award citations to determine if the actions warranted the medal.

The criteria for WW I Silver Stars is an interesting topic that I bet someone has dug into.

Looks like its the same vet as one the pension card I posted earlier. One of the units on the card was Co H. 16th Infantry,

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...