M3A4 Handcart Before & After

robinb

Got this a year ago. Found it next to a barn while driving home from a picnic. It was hard to recognize it at first, but under all of the extra scrap iron welded to it, there was a Rock Island Arsenal M3A4 Utility Hand Cart.

MVC_050S.jpg

MVC_051S.jpg

I really had to laugh at the bracket bolted to the rear of the cart. It was made to hold tail lights, like someone would actually tow this little guy on the road. They used 14 3/8" bolts to hold the bracket to the cart. Overkill, I'd say.

MVC_052S.jpgMVC_053S.jpg

Now I'm happy to report that after MUCH grinding, cutting, welding, paint, and cussing, it's finished. I had a pair of original WW2 handcart tires to replace what was on it. One side note, during the removal of "extra" stuff on the cart, the sparks started a smoldering fire in the nearby leaves than I wasn't aware of. 2 hours later, at 11PM, my wife spotted the blaze outside of the bedroom window, and we luckily got the fire extinguished without too much collateral damage. The cart was OK, just some nearby lumber got burned.

MVC_068S.JPG

MVC_069S.JPG

Some of you may notice that this cart has no holes drilled in the body like most carts have. This one is a fairly uncommon late RIA model made as a utility cart only. It does not have the extra strip of metal around the top of the body that reinforces the cart when machinegun or mortar brackets are installed.

camelgreen44

Good eye in identifying a mil. cart in the middle of all that extra mess. great job and a good save ! Denny

Charlie Flick

Robin:

That turned out beautifully. Nice rescue job! Was there a data plate on the hand carts?

Charlie

The data plate was missing, but the serial number was stamped on the body underneath it. Number 10292 makes it a Rock Island 1943 cart.

The Jeep in the background is a 1943 Willys. It's going to be a donor for my 1944 Willys MZ-2 USMC radio Jeep restoration.

The jeep has a long way to go. Probably years. I do have all of the radio equipment for it already, but there is a lot of rust and damage and missing pieces to the jeep itself.

Nice job Robin. Do you had metal shop facilities for such a restoration? I noticed that on France ebay often appear WWII original parts for US jeeps and other bigger vehicles. It would be worthwhile look at.

Johan Willaert

Nice!

I spotted one of those early RIA Utility Carts in Beltring last year. They are rather rare!

JOhan

• 3 months later...
Packard Merlin

Is your axle "inverted"? I believe the flat face of the axle should be facing toward the front of the cart. Or is it the other way around?

Packard Merlin
Axles have been observed to be mounted both ways. There seems no logic to it but most seem to have been facing the front.

Thanks! I've noticed that on a couple, and it had always puzzled me.