The M1906 Hospital bolo...

Charles1966

Charles1966

Oops! you're right, I stand corrected, M1905... I Fat Fingered the keyboard and didn't catch my mistake Thank you.. I read the article by Mr. Rila, some time ago and yes, it was a very informative write up. Thanks again...

Congratulations on a very nice example ! Just one fine addition to your collection.

Thank you for posting it.

Tony

Spathologist

IMHO it's the most handsome U.S. military issue bolo/machete.

I've always been partial to the M1909, but all of these turn-of-the-century machetes show materials and craftsmanship that disappeared during WWI...

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i always thought these blades looked over balanced untill i got to get one and found out they just look odd,lol.

Charles1966

Thank you for all the comments and varying opinions on the the M190? bolo lol... To answer the question, if they were just issued to the army, in reply #2 bayonetman posted a link, to an article by Carter Rila which is a very good read... And yes, I've always been partial to the m1909 as well. However, I haven't had the chance to buy one, in the condition that would satisfy me, but the search continues...

Pvt. Andrew M. Howard, Field Hospital No. 107, Van Cortlandt Park NYC playing swashbuckler with his M1904 bolo while they wait to go "Over There."

Note: This photo is from my private collection. Enjoy it without any water marks, but please, watch your credit if you copy it. Thank you!

post-70-0-03453100-1398337873.jpg

Charles1966

I really enjoy photos like these, to be young again... I wonder what became of these boys, they aren't unlike a great many of us. Did they survive, I hope so? Did they marry their sweethearts? Did they grow old, surrounded by their children, their grandchildren and great grandchildren? I like to think, they did...

Patchcollector

These are cool looking and the example posted here is very nice.Every time I see these I think of a "spreader" knife! :lol:

Patchcollector

Hahaa,nice.I could make a mean PB & J sandwich with that baby..all kidding aside,that is one beautiful knife!