B17 Pilot Uniform 412th BS 95th BG

ssggates

Occasionally I stray from my primary interests, especially when something really catches my eye. This was one of those. His painted leather jacket was listed separately and unfortunately I didn't get it. My only regret is that I don't have a wartime photo of him. I'm not giving up on finding one though, and when I do I'll add it to the post. All the uniform items in the photos belonged to him except the tie. I apologize for the display, when you have 5 kids space is at a premium! And those with teenage girls know they take up a LOT of space. Construction has started on our new house and I have high hopes for a permanent display area :rolleyes: I'm going to try to post a large part of my collection before I go TDY in a couple of weeks. Thanks for looking!

DSCN2676.JPGMAH+Bio.jpgDSCN2677.JPGDSCN2678.JPG

I found this well-used and personalized matchbook in a coat pocket. With a little imagination it's not hard to picture him lighting a cigarette with it while he enjoys a drink at the Red Feather Club in Horham.

DSCN2680.JPG

Some great reference books and narratives on the 95th Bomb Group.

DSCN2679.JPGDSCN2683.JPG

carbinephalen

Absolutely stunning display, Gates. Just the type of motivation I need when I'm pushing Texas down in to Mexico at Lackland next week! Haha

That man needs a lucky duck certificate! All of those missions and never losing a plane?!...Must of had an English lady back at the base that was his rabbits foot!

Garandomatic

Very cool. Though they lack the pizzazz of the WWII greens, one of my favorite uniforms is the post-WWII uniform of a 92nd BG man. No Purple Heart on his rack, and stayed in till he was a Lt. Col., so I imagine he had some divine intervention somewhere. He sure did on the first Stuttgart raid!

Thanks guys! This has been fun to research. He definitely had a run of good luck. He was attacked numerous times, and his aircraft was damaged, but he brought every plane back and came through without a scratch.

Nine O Nine

That's a really nice group congratulations. Have you tried contacting the 95th BG museum at horham which is located in the Red Feather Club? They have an extensive photo archive and may be able to help you with a photograph of Captain Hendrickson.

Nine O Nine

No problems at all. The red feather club/ 95th BG museum is probably the best museum to any 8th airforce group in the UK. The guys who run it are really great and incredibly helpful. Please let us know how you get on.

Tom.

Garandomatic

Are there any 92nd BG resources in the UK? I emailed the US historian of the association, and never got a response about my guy.

Nine O Nine

I wish there was!! I have several groupings and items to members of the 92nd Bomb group and really struggle to get information. There's certainly no museum at all, the old base is now a racing strip.

I've heard there might be a good Facebook page for the group but have haven't had a chance to look into it yet. I have the groups history the route as briefed and was really lucky to find lots of information about the owner of an A2 I have. If you want to PM me I can search through and see if there's any information on your guy.

Tom.

Unfortunately there were no photos of this pilot, but the guys at the museum were very friendly and helpful. The 95th Museum is definitely on my list of places to visit!

Great grouping! Are those British made ribbon bars on the jacket (sewed on)? And do you have a picture of the leather jacket? Too bad you missed it.

It was interesting to read a bit about his time in service. Hopefully you'll come across his picture some day. Good luck!

Thank you! They are British made, a really nice set. Another regret I have is not saving a picture of the jacket. Who knows, maybe someone on the forum has it and will post a pic!