What do I have here?

rams2050

I bought one identical to it about a year ago and have seen several since. I am just suspicious about them being theater knives because I have seen several just like this just with different blades. Matty

Matty,

Can you post a picture of the knife you bought?

Thanks

They do look the same, although there are several points of difference between mine and the one on ebay.

Another explanation could be that these are common hand-made knives from a kit and/or magazine article, possibly in the 1940s or 1950s (which accounts for the aging), and some may have been made recently. We tend to forget that home-made knives were very popular before the 1960s, and particularly when a lot of high schools had shop class. Which leads us back to the original post, in that without some connection to a veteran or theater of operations, it is a stretch to assume that any "theater knife" was actually made and carried in WWII.

My attitude is that unless you can show a connection to a soldier, sailor, marine, or airman, don't pay very much for a "theater knife" if you are adding one to your collection (unless you really know what you are doing).

• 2 years later...

I have quite a few theater knives. Sailors especially made these aboard ship. I have seen numerous pictures with sailors wearing them. I have a few with veterans names on the knife and sheath. One I have from the veterans daughter she had sent me puctures of her father with the knife on a destroyed Japanese tank.

I was a sailor for ten years everyone used to carry knives till about 1984 when they stopped letting you wear them with you dungarees.

Sailors will do anything some guys stole the bug juice machine from the galley to make wine during their cruise.