US Navy Rank Marked Fixed Bale Front Seam

LostDutchman

LostDutchman

I picked this guy up today our of the woodwork. The owner was in LSM-Group 13 during the Normandy invasion. His name was Forrest Dubois 259288.

IMG_0421_zps066e2afe.jpg

IMG_0423_zps63fdbeb8.jpg

IMG_0422_zps6bcf4b93.jpg

IMG_0425_zps6361c0ed.jpg

IMG_0426_zps67152c47.jpg

Wow, a named Normandy used navy helmet with the officers rank , thats a real treasure, congratulations on this great find, it's a real piece of history

Just out of curiosity, while I do like the look and patina on this lid, where is the ID to the specific Sailor? Any markings on the pot or liner? I can't really see any from the pics. I originally read the post fast and seemed to have skimmed over the Normandy part and thats a big part of value on this helmet if there is proof. :)

LostDutchman

This was a direct family buy so I have no doubts of the original owner. Inside the liner on the leather I can make out a F. Du but the rest is unreadable due to the condition of the leather.

liner_zpsd2f38e02.jpg

This was a direct family buy so I have no doubts of the original owner. Inside the liner on the leather I can make out a F. Du but the rest is unreadable due to the condition of the leather.

liner_zpsd2f38e02.jpg

Can't really see it. But if you ever have plans of selling this I would suggest getting as much info and anything you can as solid proof from the family. A story just ends up being a story and rightfully so with all the fakes around you need the proof for most potential buyers to believe it specially anything Normandy associated.

- j

USMC-RECON0321

Can't really see it. But if you ever have plans of selling this I would suggest getting as much info and anything you can as solid proof from the family. A story just ends up being a story and rightfully so with all the fakes around you need the proof for most potential buyers to believe it specially anything Normandy associated.

- j

Agree 100%! Very good advise and even if you believe you will never sell the helmet, at some point a family member probably will. So it is also important for the next generation in your family who may not have any use for old helmets to know there is important documentation to go with certain helmets in your collection and where to find it. I use inventory tags in each helmet, that go to a protected log book and the log book will direct the reader to a file with any documentation for each helmet if any.

Troy

This helmet in any case was around when France was being invaded (can't tell in what part of the world but it existed). So it's not impossible that it was in fact at Normandy given the number of navy personnel involved. But then again that applies to all early helmets. I sure hope you're able to find out more.

Cheers

Well, very nice helmet indeed B) ... that would be great to find some clues on the shell or liner to link to the owner.

LostDutchman

Ok guys.

I finally got more info. As most vet stories turn out... EVERYONE was at Normandy. This is not the Case with Forrest E. DuBois. After some more research Mr. DuBois was on board LSM-264 for the Iwo Jima Invasion and not Normandy.

forrest_zpsf22f87be.jpg

264 At Iwo Jima

2642_zpsee1912dc.jpg

2641_zps9814a2c9.jpg

But isn't that is September 1945? Officer's are usually on muster reports except as passengers. So it would be nearly impossible to decern from muster reports.

Based on the Naval Officer register, Looks like he was a communications officer, HIs service pay date is 3-3-43 and may have become a LTjg on 5-1-44.

And in answer to the previous question about the "upside down" star on the helmet, that is correct. In USN insignia, the star would (officially) point down.

Charlie