Chinook in Action in Ala. 2007

market garden

market garden

Guys, I really like your photos of aviation. I'm just a rider in them . These were taken in training. 2007 a quick 15 min. flight.

post-510-1210468881.jpg

post-510-1210468895.jpg

post-510-1210468912.jpg

I've flown in the Chinook myself a couple of times, all of the flights have been over here on this tour. We have a 47 company as part of the battalion and I work and fly with them quite often. Because of this close relationship my first flight in 47 I got to sit in the jump seat right behind and between the pilots. It was a night flight, zero illumination, and no moon. It was dark as dark could be and I didn't have a set of NVG's. It didn't matter though, I was more interested in just watching how they manage their cockpit, what their "routine" is and hearing the different Chinook internal calls from the checklist.

market garden

In Honduras in 1986, I flew in Chinooks in night missions it is diffirent than the day. I really enjoy flying.

Out of all the types I flew the 47 was always my favorite, I even liked 47 better than the 64 which was the last aircraft I qualified in. I have a large number of photos but few have been scanned. I guess I will have to dig some photos out tomorrow and post them.

An earlier post touched on crew management, this has always been a big part of 47 training. When the Army got it up their skirts about 20 years ago to introduce "crew management" they came to the 47 community to see how it was done. Two of our guys were borrowed from Ft. Campbell to go to Rucker and help develop the program.

For several years I had good thing going, I flew Chinooks as a civilian IP at Ft. Rucker and flew UH1s in the Guard.

Water landings in 47s are fun too, not too many people know you can land one in water.

Spathologist
Water landings in 47s are fun too, not too many people know you can land one in water.

And drive the boat right up the ramp!

I was flabbergasted the first time I saw that...Gatun Lake...

market garden

By the way do you guys know if my photos are of the new ch-47 upgrade I was hearing about? It looks diffrent from the ch-47 of the 1980's. It is

from the Kansas National Guard.

By the way do you guys know if my photos are of the new ch-47 upgrade I was hearing about? It looks diffrent from the ch-47 of the 1980's. It is

from the Kansas National Guard.

Well, if you are considering the 80's there were still A, B, and C models still flying during that ten year period. I qualified on the B and C models then transitioned into the D Model at my unit. However, I believe you are asking about the difference between D and F models. If so the easiest way to tell is by looking at the exhaust cones, on the D they point straight back while on the F Model they are canted outward slightly from the airframe.

Jeff Ashenfelter

While stationed in Fairbanks (Ft Wainright) In the 70's we used to jump out of them often. It was the smoothest exit of all the military aircraft that we used. You simply walked off the ramp with no prop blast! I have fond memories of the old shinola hooks. Jeff

market garden
Well, if you are considering the 80's there were still A, B, and C models still flying during that ten year period. I qualified on the B and C models then transitioned into the D Model at my unit. However, I believe you are asking about the difference between D and F models. If so the easiest way to tell is by looking at the exhaust cones, on the D they point straight back while on the F Model they are canted outward slightly from the airframe.

You answered my question.Thanks.Mg