1939 Wisconsin Naval Militia

hhbooker2

Bought a great year book titled: "HISTORICAL & PICTORIAL REVIEW: National Guard & Naval Militia State of Wisconsin - 1939." At trhe back of the year book were eight pages dedicated to the Naval Militia of Wisconsin. They show group photos of the 1st & 2nd Divisions. The commanding officer of the First Division was Lieutenant Commander Ernest Fred Kiefer. They show pictures of crew members being instructed on gunnery practice, handling a rifle, splicing knots, bayonet drill, and going on liberty. thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1209063340.jpg

This is an amazing book and very helpful to anyone interested in the 32nd Division during WWII. Many of the men in this book went on to fight in New Guinea and the Philippines and many of them were killed in action....the Janesville Tank Company is an excellent example.

eric

This is an amazing book and very helpful to anyone interested in the 32nd Division during WWII. Many of the men in this book went on to fight in New Guinea and the Philippines and many of them were killed in action....the Janesville Tank Company is an excellent example.

eric

ERIC: Perhaps the 53rd Cavalry Regiment converted to tanks later? Here is the page showing headquarters staff of the 53rd Cavalry Regt., and Brigadier General Ralph M. Immel. Do you have any names of those killed? Could look them up in the 1939 book, let me know: [email protected] (Sarge Booker) crying.gif

post-837-1209145870.jpg

ERIC: Perhaps the 53rd Cavalry Regiment converted to tanks later? Here is the page showing headquarters staff of the 53rd Cavalry Regt., and Brigadier General Ralph M. Immel. Do you have any names of those killed? Could look them up in the 1939 book, let me know: [email protected] (Sarge Booker) crying.gif

The 105th Cavalry of the 53rd Brigade actually became artillery in 1940. The Division was federalized in October 1940 and went to Louisiana until the U.S. declared war.

Some noteable people in the book.....Elmer Burr, Company I 127th Infantry was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Buna on December 24, 1942.

Ken Gruennert, Company L, 127th Infantry was awared the Medal of Honor for his actions at Buna on the same date.

The 32nd Tank Company (page 40) was sent to the Philippines in 1941 and fought on Bataan. Many members were on the Bataan Death March. Lt. Walter Write pictured on page 40 was killed in 1942 while planting mines to help slow the advancing Japanese.

Herbert Smith (page 97) is the Herbert Smith who eventually led the battalion of the 126th Infantry over the Owen Stanley Mountains in New Guinea as written about in the book Ghost Mountain Boys.

When I get a little more time I'll try to point out some other noteables for you!

eric

Neat & interesting unknown information for me until today. All that more interesting because it's part of my home state history and I thought I knew it all! :rolleyes: Thanks Sarge!

Neat & interesting unknown information for me until today. All that more interesting because it's part of my home state history and I thought I knew it all! :rolleyes: Thanks Sarge!

BUGME: Email me at [email protected] and I can start sending you scans from older militaria booklets, brochures, catalogues, etc., from one Wisconsinite to another Wisconsinite. I was born in Wauwatosa when it was not part of Milwaukee - my older brother and our younger sister were both born in Manitowoc. My grandmother was from a Menominee Tribe in Shawano and was a French-speaking Indian, but never a princess, it was probably her father who was full-blood. One time an Indian was walking back from town and someone stopped and asked him if he were a full;-blood Indian and he replied no, he was a pint short as he was returning from the blood bank! I was in Wisconsin last in 1961 when I registered with the Selective Service System in Manitowoc and scolded why I did not registere earlier, replied I was serving in the Army of the United States at Camp Casey, Korea with the 31st Infantry Regt., 7th Infantry Div., her face went red and asked why I did not say so, but she held the floor before that. I enlisted at age 16 in early 1959. I take it you have a copy of that Year Book too? pinch.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1209160019.jpg

The NG Cav Divs (21st-24th) and Bdes that were active from 1929 nearly all went out of existence during 1940, NLT November. Sole survivor was the separate (non-divisional) 56th Bde in Texas, which was kept, on horseback, to be employed patrolling the Mexican border.

In the same period the Regts were reorganized into two, vice three Squadrons.

Many elements were simply disbanded, with their personnel dispersed or discharged (as standards were tightened, to replace deadwood and fogeys with new, younger and fitter enlistees, spurred on by the inauguration of the draft). Just six NG Cav Regts (other than TX) were organized as combination horse-mechanized. The others were broken up to varying degrees and converted -- to FA or CA (AAA). Some of the Cav Divs' FA, Eng and service units stayed on in recognizable form, but not assigned to Cav or mounted higher HQs.

Fred Borgmann

There are books like this from several states that I have seen. They are not year books but rather were ordered by the Federal govt. to take an inventory of the National Guard as the war clouds were forming. I have one from Illinois too and have seen others but can't remember from which states they were.