Military Lighters - All eras all brands

Here is a lighter from a Marine who served in the 1st Helicopter Squadron, 1st Marine Division in the Korean War. As you can see, it was made by “Dragon Manufacturing Company” and is “Clean Cut” brand, likely, Korean or Japanese made.

Great thread!

BKW

P2050471.JPG

P2050473.JPG

P2050474.JPG

P2050475.JPG

World War II Era Cigarette Lighter

Berkeley Windproof Lighter

The black crackle finish lighter became popular during the war as it was thought that it was possible to accidentally attract attention of the enemy by the shine or reflection of the chrome finish lighters. Several lighter manufactures produced the non-shine finish.

This NOS (New, Old Stock) lighter with its original box was made by The Flashlight Company of America, of Jersey City, N.J.  It is called the Berkeley. No maker information is on the outside of the lighter, but when you open it up to refill, it is featured prominently. The box has printed on the side: “O.P.A. RETAIL CEILING PRICE $2.00 EACH”. The O.P.A. was the Office of Price Administration, a government program to attempt to control inflation during the war. From a popular internet site: The OPA had the power to place ceilings on all prices except agricultural commodities, and to ration scarce supplies of other items, including tires, automobiles, shoes, nylon, sugar, gasoline, fuel oil, coffee, meats and processed foods. At the peak, almost 90% of retail food prices were frozen. It could also authorize subsidies for production of some of those commodities.

Thanks for looking,

BKW

P2060476.JPG

P2060480.JPG

P2060477.JPG

Berk paper 001.jpg

Berk 2 001.jpg

Here's one you don't see everyday... a 374th Field Artillery Battalion (100th Infantry Division) desk lighter which was a souvenir during the 1945 occupation of Germany.

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Picked up this butane Jerry Can style lighter from the French eBay site (eBay.fr) for ~$9.00 including free shipping:

image.jpeg.89cc55937c0feb36b851d26dd0542a78.jpeg

One of the more realistic versions of these lighters. Curiously, the mechanism is on the right just above and attached to the key ring (I almost broke the black ‘nozzle’ off, on the left, trying to ‘flick’ it!)

C6A: Check out this ancient Parker "Flaminaire" butane lighter from my junk box. Not military but it has a quasi Jerry-Can for the butane. It reads: "Return To Dealer or Parker Pen CO". I guess it was not refillable by the owner? If you have already seen one of these, please disregard. YK57

100_9991 (2).JPG

100_9992.JPG

100_9994 (2).JPG

100_9997 (2).JPG

100_9998 (2).JPG

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, YK57! I have one of those lighters, also non-military. I’m pretty sure that I read somewhere that it is possible to refill these through the ‘nozzle’, but I can’t seem to find the instructions now. As I recall it just needs a special adapter. The lighter and “Butabloc” butane tank are both built like a tank though!

Thanks again!

Hi folks 🙂.

I don't know anything about lighters, but as a flight gear collector I couldn't resist picking up this cool example with S.A.C. enameled emblema, so I felt like sharing it with you.

My searches led me to other similar examples (either engraved or enameled emblema) from various manufacturers, during the 60's-70's era.

This one was MFG. by Lord Chesterfield (from Japan), although it doesn't show "Japan" engraved at the bottom.

ChesterfieldSAC.jpg.b079f550a0fecfcacf25eb89e4a3a2d5.jpg

Anything you could tell me about it would be nice ; thanks in advance !