The Good, The Bad And the Ugly (Medals).

Wharfmaster

Or perhaps, "Out of Recognition of Your Supreme Sacrifice"?

Personally I prefer the simple wording on the back of the Canadian Sacrifice Medal its very simple but incredibly powerful.

post-107343-0-85889300-1377397877.jpg

I once worked for a Marine Gunnery Sergeant who refused to wear his. He told us it was "nothing more than a VC marksmanship badge". Of course he was a little angry because the Viet Cong had shot out one of his kidneys and the remaining one had started to fail.

I think the Purple Heart is a powerful symbol that needs no explaining and it very recognizable to everyone who sees it, even civilians.

The medal was designed the way it was in 1932 to honor the original Revolutionary War award. If there is confusion about the medals purpose, I say it might be due for a change. I don't think there is any confusion so I say leave the design alone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Kurt

Garth Thompson

I think the Purple Heart is a powerful symbol that needs no explaining and it very recognizable to everyone who sees it, even civilians.

The medal was designed the way it was in 1932 to honor the original Revolutionary award. If there is confusion about the medals purpose, I say it might be due for a change. I don't think there is any confusion so I say leave the design alone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Kurt

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Two of the most unattractive medals in my opinion, both with magenta ribbons are the 1945 Medal of Freedom and the Meritorious Service Medal. The MSM with the big star looks more like a Comblock award to me.

W

The first Purple Hearts (Rev. War) were awarded for merit only, not for wounds. The 1932 Purple Hearts were issued by the Army for both.

When the PH became a wounds only award for the Army, the reverse should have changed.

The term Military (Army) should not have been used on a Naval award.

W

That is the first time I have heard 'military' used that way. To me it has always been an inclusive term for all the armed forces.

As I wrote this I remembered 'USMA.'

Mike

Good - PH, DSC, BSM

Bad - Volunteer Service Medal; there is no military reason for this award.

- Air Force DSM; it's not necessarily ugly, it just looks out of place.

Ugly - HSM, AFRM

As for NDSM, I say above center of mass, not ugly.

Mike

I once worked for a Marine Gunnery Sergeant who refused to wear his. He told us it was "nothing more than a VC marksmanship badge". Of course he was a little angry because the Viet Cong had shot out one of his kidneys and the remaining one had started to fail.

I have a few buddies who refuse to wear theirs. It's also still jokingly called the 'enemy marksmanship award'

I have a few buddies who refuse to wear theirs. It's also still jokingly called the 'enemy marksmanship award'

I thought you had to wear all of your awards, whether you liked them or not? I didn't think you could pick and choice which ones you wanted to wear.

I thought you had to wear all of your awards, whether you liked them or not? I didn't think you could pick and choice which ones you wanted to wear.

If you're not standing an inspection where the inspecting official has your record, and it's not your official photo, nobody has any way of knowing you're not wearing something you rate. That being said, wearing something you don't rate will get your @$$ kicked

I believe there is a reg somewhere allowing an individual to wear only his top 3 personal awards, as well, and exclude all others. I've also heard there's a reg that permits the wearing of unit awards, only. Uniform regs change so much, and I wear ribbons so little, that I don't keep track of these little, seldom if ever used regs.

There is an order stating that marksmanship badges are optional unless otherwise ordered. I use that one all the time, and keep a printed copy in my pocket to prove it since no one seems to believe it. It's a PITA to align rifle and pistol badges with their bars being different heights

If you're not standing an inspection where the inspecting official has your record, and it's not your official photo, nobody has any way of knowing you're not wearing something you rate. That being said, wearing something you don't rate will get your @$$ kicked

I believe there is a reg somewhere allowing an individual to wear only his top 3 personal awards, as well, and exclude all others. I've also heard there's a reg that permits the wearing of unit awards, only. Uniform regs change so much, and I wear ribbons so little, that I don't keep track of these little, seldom if ever used regs.

There is an order stating that marksmanship badges are optional unless otherwise ordered. I use that one all the time, and keep a printed copy in my pocket to prove it since no one seems to believe it. It's a PITA to align rifle and pistol badges with their bars being different heights

That makes sense.Foe fun I googled the question and couldn't find an answer.I did find that the Marines do NOT allow certain ribbons, say you were prior service Army and then joined the Marines.You can not wear the Army Svc ribbon or PME ribbon.Also not allowed to wear marksman badges or CIB or CMB badges.It looks like you could get approval to wear the Combat Action Ribbon if you did receive a CIB or CMB.Just found it interesting.

I was active AF then joined the NY Army NG, 2/108th INF.We had an inspection by the BN CO.He wanted to know what the hell kind of ribbons I was wearing.Never had a LT CONL in my face before.It was interesting.

I've often wondered why they need to have two different Good Conduct medals. Why give reservists a different one from people on active duty? Doesn't make sense to me. The reservists already have the Armed Forces Reserve Medal (quite honestly one of the ugliest medals, IMHO) so why do they need a different looking Good Conduct medal? I would have no issue giving a reservist the same GC that everyone else gets, under the same criteria as everyone else as well. And then ditch the AFRM. The only point of that medal is to serve as an excuse for senior people to have limited personal awards. "Hi, I'm an O-6 with an Achievement Medal as my highest personal decoration. But I have this AFRM, so that makes it all okay..."

I can only answer with my opinion: Active service (24/7/365) is entirely different from reserve service. For an enlisted man, there is a huge difference between LIVING honorable service (which often means dealing with enormous quality of life issues on a day to day basis and still taking the high road, following orders, etc) and a reservist, who deals with it one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. However, if there was "one good conduct medal" and it was awarded under the same criteria, a Marine reservist would have to accumulate over 1000 days of active service to qualify for it. Most of them would never earn it even after a decade in the reserves.

The AFRM - yes, I agree. Ditch it.

I believe there is a reg somewhere allowing an individual to wear only his top 3 personal awards, as well, and exclude all others.

Navy CPO's, WO's, and officers are allowed to wear their top 3 plus badges with their service khaki's. Ostensibly, the purpose to keep them from ruining a 50 dollar rack while working aboard ship or something.

Captain+Lopez.jpg

That makes sense.Foe fun I googled the question and couldn't find an answer.I did find that the Marines do NOT allow certain ribbons, say you were prior service Army and then joined the Marines.You can not wear the Army Svc ribbon or PME ribbon.Also not allowed to wear marksman badges or CIB or CMB badges.It looks like you could get approval to wear the Combat Action Ribbon if you did receive a CIB or CMB.Just found it interesting.

I was active AF then joined the NY Army NG, 2/108th INF.We had an inspection by the BN CO.He wanted to know what the hell kind of ribbons I was wearing.Never had a LT CONL in my face before.It was interesting.

My guide in MCRD was a prior service Army E7. When we graduated, the DI's went through his ribbons and told him what he could and couldnt wear. Army NPDR, ASR, overseas service and unit awards all went bye bye. Even still, he was the only guy in our platoon, drill instructors included, that had two rows of ribbons and two hash marks. Interesting to see that on a Lcpl back in that day.

Another pal joined the Army after his service in the Marines and said he went through an administrative process to have his Marine Combat Action Ribbon converted to a CIB. Afterward, he said he wished he would have not done it. I dont recall why. Probably for personal/nostalgia reasons.

What is the criteria for the Navy/MC combat Action Ribbon? Can any MOS receive it or only infantry/rifleman? The CIB you have to have the 11 MOS.Has anybody ever heard of the one below? Now its the CAB. Just came across it.

Combat Recognition Ribbon

The Combat Recognition Ribbon was a tentative military award of the United States Army which was first proposed in the mid 1980s as an Army equivalent to the United States Navy’s Combat Action Ribbon.

The primary justification for the creation of the Combat Recognition Ribbon was that the Department of the Army recognizes combat service with the Combat Infantryman Badge; however, this decoration is closed to all but infantry personnel or special case requests from members of other Army branches, provided a special order is issued for the Combat Infantryman Badge. The Combat Recognition Ribbon was initially proposed as an award for Army personnel who had served in combat situations, but for a variety of reasons had failed to meet the criteria for the Combat Infantryman Badge.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2005 required that the Secretary of the Army establish the Combat Recognition Ribbon (CRR). As of February 2005, the Department of the Army began the very initial stages of developing the Combat Recognition Ribbon. The proposed ribbon was eventually renamed and reclassed as the Combat Action Badge. The Combat Action Badge creation was approved by the U.S. Army on May 2, 2005 and can be retroactively awarded to soldiers who engaged in combat after September 18, 2001.

With the creation of the Combat Action Badge, the proposal for the Combat Recognition Ribbon was dropped by the United States Army and the ribbon is now considered obsolete. The award itself was never actually officially created and a physical ribbon design was never proposed by the Institute of Heraldry.

Every Marine is a Rifleman first... Thus all Marines can rate the CAR as long as they meet the strict criteria for the award.

What is the criteria for the Navy/MC combat Action Ribbon? Can any MOS receive it or only infantry/rifleman? The CIB you have to have the 11 MOS.Has anybody ever heard of the one below? Now its the CAB. Just came across it.

The Combat Recognition Ribbon was a tentative military award of the United States Army which was first proposed in the mid 1980s as an Army equivalent to the United States Navy’s Combat Action Ribbon.

The primary justification for the creation of the Combat Recognition Ribbon was that the Department of the Army recognizes combat service with the Combat Infantryman Badge; however, this decoration is closed to all but infantry personnel or special case requests from members of other Army branches, provided a special order is issued for the Combat Infantryman Badge. The Combat Recognition Ribbon was initially proposed as an award for Army personnel who had served in combat situations, but for a variety of reasons had failed to meet the criteria for the Combat Infantryman Badge.

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2005 required that the Secretary of the Army establish the Combat Recognition Ribbon (CRR). As of February 2005, the Department of the Army began the very initial stages of developing the Combat Recognition Ribbon. The proposed ribbon was eventually renamed and reclassed as the Combat Action Badge. The Combat Action Badge creation was approved by the U.S. Army on May 2, 2005 and can be retroactively awarded to soldiers who engaged in combat after September 18, 2001.

With the creation of the Combat Action Badge, the proposal for the Combat Recognition Ribbon was dropped by the United States Army and the ribbon is now considered obsolete. The award itself was never actually officially created and a physical ribbon design was never proposed by the Institute of Heraldry.

The primary criteria for the N/MC Combat Action Ribbon is "satisfactory performance under enemy fire in a ground or surface engagement". Approval has to go through SecNav. MOS is not a factor in determining eligibility. The Marine Corps maintains an online database of approved Combat Action Ribbons for individuals. It requires first name, last name, and last four to search.

The CAB is a relatively recent award by the Army that is not MOS specific to parallel the CIB which is. Both are currently in use. I am not familiar with their current award requirements. However, I do think it would be a good idea if the N/MC ditched the CAR and went to combat qualification badge instead.

Technically isn't every soldier also and infantryman? But not every soldier qualifies for a CIB.Not to start an argument but if a Clerk in the Marines had to fire his weapon durn a battle he would be eligible for the CAR? But if the same clerk was in the Army and had to do the same, and i'm sure both situations has happened, he would not be eligible for the CIB. I tried to find the criteria for the CAB but couldn't find it.Does anybody know what they are?

Technically isn't every soldier also and infantryman? But not every soldier qualifies for a CIB.Not to start an argument but if a Clerk in the Marines had to fire his weapon durn a battle he would be eligible for the CAR? But if the same clerk was in the Army and had to do the same, and i'm sure both situations has happened, he would not be eligible for the CIB. I tried to find the criteria for the CAB but couldn't find it.Does anybody know what they are?

Answer 1: I dont think the Army invests in that ethos as heavily as the Marines do.

Answer 2: Yes, Combat Action Ribbons are approved based on SecNav direction, not MOS.

Answer 3: Correct. And the rest of the Army has been pissed at the infantry (both 11 and 18 MOS) ever since the CIB came into creation during WWII. All kinds of unofficial parallel awards followed but were never made official:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficial_badges_of_the_United_States_military

That's why the CAB was created. However, Big Army got their revenge on the grunts by restricting subsequent awards in a really unusual way: anyone who rates a CIB for action between 1965 and 1995 can only wear the standard CIB (1st award), even if they saw action in multiple conflicts, like say Vietnam and then Grenada. Or Panama and then Desert Storm. They then pulled the same trick later: combat infantry veterans of both Iraq and Afghanistan are not eligible for a CIB with star to denote a second award. One for WWII, one for Korea, one for anything from 1965-1994, and one for OIF/OEF. That's it. In an ironic twist, that means that not only are CIB(2nd awards) pretty rare these days (would have to have been in combat in Somalia in 1994 at the latest prior to OIF), but that there are probably only a handful of living CIB (3rd Award) recipients (born around 1928 with service over a 37 year span and now at least 85 years old). If I was a career Army infantry soldier with combat service in 3 totally unrelated wars like Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia, I would be pissed about that.

One the other hand, I served with a Marine that had 4 awards of the Combat Action Ribbon (the ribbon with 3 gold stars), CWO5 Sid Heal (RVN, Desert Storm, Somalia, Iraq). The Navy and Marines separate their awards of the CAR by operation and almost 2 dozen are listed in the current awards manual in addition to smaller engagements that might not be in the manual.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/SecNavInst%201650.1H.pdf

See page 2-33.

Answer 4: Eligibility for the CAB can be found here too:

(1) May be awarded to any Soldier.

(2) Soldier must be performing assigned duties in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is

authorized.

(3) Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing

satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement.

(4) Soldier must be assigned or attached to a unit that would qualify the Soldier for the CIB/CMB. For example, an

11B assigned to Corps staff is eligible for award of the CAB. However, an 11B assigned to an infantry battalion is not eligible for award of the CAB.

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r600_8_22.pdf

In a final twist of irony, a soldier MAY receive the CIB and the CAB for two different terms of combat duty in the same operation (let's says a soldier served as a grunt during the 2003 invasion and then came back to Iraq as attached to an cavalry unit later) BUT the CAB is not retroactive to anything before 2001.

If an Army clerk was a member of an Infantry HQ Company, he could qualify for a CIB.

Regards,

W

I still think you need an Infantry MOS.

III. AWARD ELIGIBILITY

Awarded to personnel in the grade of Colonel or below with an infantry or special forces military occupational specialty who have satisfactorily performed duty while assigned as a member of an infantry/special forces unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to 6 December 1941 when the unit was engaged in active ground combat. The policy was expanded to permit award to Command Sergeants Major of infantry battalions or brigades, effective 1 December 1967. Specific criteria for each conflict was also established. Only one award is authorized for service in Vietnam, Laos, the Dominican Republic, Korea (subsequent to 4 January 1969), El Salvador, Grenada, Panama, the Southwest Asia and Somalia, regardless of whether an individual has served in one or more of these areas. The complete criteria for each area and inclusive dates are listed in Army Regulation 600-8-22.

If an Army clerk was a member of an Infantry HQ Company, he could qualify for a CIB.

Regards,

W

According to the current regulations, the soldier must have an infantry or SF MOS, as well as be a member of an infantry unit, and must be serving in an infantry or SF "primary duty" during a combat operation that falls within the scope of one of the four eligibility periods. However, I do not know when that criteria was added or changed so your point may have been the case at some time previously.

Answer 1: I dont think the Army invests in that ethos as heavily as the Marines do.

Answer 2: Yes, Combat Action Ribbons are approved based on SecNav direction, not MOS.

Answer 3: Correct. And the rest of the Army has been pissed at the infantry (both 11 and 18 MOS) ever since the CIB came into creation during WWII. All kinds of unofficial parallel awards followed but were never made official:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficial_badges_of_the_United_States_military

That's why the CAB was created. However, Big Army got their revenge on the grunts by restricting subsequent awards in a really unusual way: anyone who rates a CIB for action between 1965 and 1995 can only wear the standard CIB (1st award), even if they saw action in multiple conflicts, like say Vietnam and then Grenada. Or Panama and then Desert Storm. They then pulled the same trick later: combat infantry veterans of both Iraq and Afghanistan are not eligible for a CIB with star to denote a second award. One for WWII, one for Korea, one for anything from 1965-1994, and one for OIF/OEF. That's it. In an ironic twist, that means that not only are CIB(2nd awards) pretty rare these days (would have to have been in combat in Somalia in 1994 at the latest prior to OIF), but that there are probably only a handful of living CIB (3rd Award) recipients (born around 1928 with service over a 37 year span and now at least 85 years old). If I was a career Army infantry soldier with combat service in 3 totally unrelated wars like Panama, Desert Storm, and Somalia, I would be pissed about that.

One the other hand, I served with a Marine that had 4 awards of the Combat Action Ribbon (the ribbon with 3 gold stars), CWO5 Sid Heal (RVN, Desert Storm, Somalia, Iraq). The Navy and Marines separate their awards of the CAR by operation and almost 2 dozen are listed in the current awards manual in addition to smaller engagements that might not be in the manual.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/SecNavInst%201650.1H.pdf

See page 2-33.

Answer 4: Eligibility for the CAB can be found here too:

(1) May be awarded to any Soldier.

(2) Soldier must be performing assigned duties in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is

authorized.

(3) Soldier must be personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing

satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement.

(4) Soldier must be assigned or attached to a unit that would qualify the Soldier for the CIB/CMB. For example, an

11B assigned to Corps staff is eligible for award of the CAB. However, an 11B assigned to an infantry battalion is not eligible for award of the CAB.

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r600_8_22.pdf

In a final twist of irony, a soldier MAY receive the CIB and the CAB for two different terms of combat duty in the same operation (let's says a soldier served as a grunt during the 2003 invasion and then came back to Iraq as attached to an cavalry unit later) BUT the CAB is not retroactive to anything before 2001.

Holy smokes the military regs get more confusing.Has anybody seen one of these? I didn't know they had 2nd, 3rd & 4th awards for the CAB, makes sense just didn't know it.

combataction_02.gif

Regards,

W

Maybe, if he held the Infantry MOS and was in an Infantry slot in the Infantry unit.

From Army Regulations-

8–6. Combat Infantryman Badge

a. For award of the CIB a Soldier must meet the following three requirements:

(1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.

(2) Assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.

(3) Actively participate in such ground combat. Campaign or battle credit alone is not sufficient for award of the

CIB.

b. The specific eligibility criteria for the CIB require that

(1) A Soldier must be an Army infantry or special forces officer (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or

an Army enlisted Soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or Special Forces MOS, who subsequent to 6 December

1941 has satisfactorily performed duty while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces

unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat.

Eligibility for Special Forces personnel in Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) 18B, 18E, 18F, and 18Z (less

Special Forces medical sergeant) accrues from 20 December 1989. Retroactive awards of the CIB to Special Forces

personnel are not authorized prior to 20 December 1989.

(2) A recipient must be personally present and under hostile fire while serving in an assigned infantry or Special

Forces primary duty, in a unit actively engaged in ground combat with the enemy. The unit in question can be of any

size smaller than brigade. For example, personnel possessing an infantry MOS in a rifle squad of a cavalry platoon in a

cavalry troop would be eligible for award of the CIB. Battle or campaign participation credit alone is not sufficient; the

unit must have been in active ground combat with the enemy during the period.

(3) Personnel with other than an infantry or Special Forces MOS are not eligible, regardless of the circumstances.

The infantry or Special Forces SSI or MOS does not necessarily have to be the Soldier’s primary specialty, as long as

the Soldier has been properly trained in infantry or Special Forces tactics, possesses the appropriate skill code, and is

serving in that specialty when engaged in active ground combat as described above. Commanders are not authorized to

make any exceptions to this policy.

(4) Awards will not be made to general officers or to members of headquarters companies of units larger in size

than brigade.

(5) On or after 18 September 2001—

(a) A Soldier must be an Army infantry or special forces (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or an

Army enlisted Soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or special forces MOS, who has satisfactorily performed duty

while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller

size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct

fires.

(B)A Soldier must be personally present and under fire while serving in an assigned infantry or Special Forces

primary duty, in a unit engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires.

© Soldiers possessing MOS of 18D (Special Force Medical Sergeant) who satisfactorily perform special forces

duties while assigned or attached to a special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such

unit was engaged in active ground combat may be awarded the CIB. These Soldiers must have been personally present

and engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires. Retroactive awards under

these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001.

(d) Those Soldiers possessing MOS of 18D who qualify for award of the CMB from 18 September 2001 to 3 June

2005 will remain qualified for the badge. Upon request any such Soldier may be awarded the CIB instead of the CMB.

In such instances, the Soldier must submit a request through the chain of command to USAHRC, AHRC–PDO–PA,

200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471 for conversion of the CMB to the CIB.

(e) Service members from the other U.S. Armed Forces and foreign military (infantry and Special Forces equivalents)

assigned or attached as a member of a U.S. Army infantry or Special Forces unit of brigade, regimental, or

smaller size may be considered for award of the CIB. All basic requirements as listed above must be met. Retroactive

awards under these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001.

c. The CIB is authorized for award for the following qualifying wars, conflicts, and operations:

(1) World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945).

(2) The Korean War (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953).

(3) Republic of Vietnam Conflict (2 March 1961 to 28 March 1973), combined with qualifying service in Laos (19

April 1961 to 6 October 1962).

(4) Dominican Republic (28 April 1965 to 1 September 1966).

(5) Korea on the demilitarized zone (DMZ) (4 January 1969 to 31 March 1994).

(6) El Salvador (1 January 1981 to 1 February 1992).

(7) Grenada (23 October to 21 November 1983).

(8) Joint Security Area, Panmunjom, Korea (23 November 1984).

(9) Panama (20 December 1989 to 31 January 1990).

(10) Southwest Asia Conflict (17 January to 11 April 1991).

(11) Somalia (5 June 1992 to 31 March 1994).

(12) Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom, 5 December 2001 to a date to be determined).

(13) Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom, 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined).

d. The special provision authorized for the War on Terrorism is listed in this paragraph. The CIB may be awarded to

recognize those U.S. Army Infantry and Special Forces Soldiers embedded in formed Afghan National Army or Iraqi

infantry/special force units, or Iraqi specialized Infantry type units, of brigade, regimental or smaller size, or assigned

as advisors to a foreign infantry/special forces comparable to the above infantry units, as tactical advisors, trainers or

performing liaison duties, during the time that the supported infantry/special force unit engages in active ground

combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires. Qualified Soldiers must have been personally present

and participated in the combat operations.

e. The special provisions authorized for the Vietnam Conflict, Laos, and Korea on the DMZ are outlined below.

(1) During the Vietnam Conflict, any officer whose basic branch is other than infantry who, under appropriate

orders, has commanded a line infantry (other than a headquarters unit) unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size for at

least 30 consecutive days is deemed to have been detailed in infantry and is eligible for award of the CIB notwithstanding

absence of a written directive detailing that Soldier in the infantry, provided all other requirements for the award

have been met. Orders directing the officer to assume command will be confirmed in writing at the earliest practicable

date.

(a) In addition, any officer, warrant officer, or enlisted Soldier whose branch is other than infantry, who under

appropriate orders was assigned to advise a unit listed in © and (d) below or was assigned as a member of a White

Star Mobile Training Team or a member of MAAG–Laos as indicated in (2)(a) and (3) below will be eligible for

award of the CIB provided all other requirements have been met.

(B)After 1 December 1967 for service in the Republic of Vietnam, noncommissioned officers serving as Command

Sergeants Major of infantry battalions and brigades for periods of at least 30 consecutive days in a combat zone are

eligible for award of the CIB provided all other requirements have been met.

© Subsequent to 1 March 1961, a Soldier must have been—

1. Assigned as advisor to an infantry unit, ranger unit, infantry-type unit of the civil guard of regimental or smaller

size, and/or infantry-type unit of the self-defense corps unit of regimental or smaller size of the Vietnamese government

during any period such unit was engaged in actual ground combat.

2. Assigned as advisor of an irregular force comparable to the above infantry units under similar conditions.

3. Personally present and under fire while serving in an assigned primary duty as a member of a tactical advisory

team while the unit participated in ground combat.

(d) Subsequent to 24 May 1965, to qualify for the CIB, personnel serving in U.S. units must meet the requirements

of b(1), above. Individuals who performed liaison duties with the Royal Thai Army or the Army of the Republic of

Korea combat units in Vietnam are eligible for award of the badge provided they meet all other requirements.

(2) In Laos from 19 April 1961 to 6 October 1962, a Soldier must have been—

(a) Assigned as member of a White Star Mobile Training Team while the team was attached to or working with a

unit of regimental (groupment mobile) or smaller size of Forces Armee du Royaume (FAR), or with irregular type

forces of regimental or smaller size.

(B)A member of MAAG–Laos assigned as an advisor to a region or zone of FAR, or while serving with irregular

type forces of regimental or smaller size.

© Personally under hostile fire while assigned as specified in (a) or (B), above.

(3) In Korea on the DMZ. The special requirements for award of the CIB for service in the Republic of Korea are

rescinded. Army veterans and service members who served in Korea on or after 28 July 1953 and meet the criteria for

award of the CIB outlined in paragraph 8–6c, may submit an application (to include supporting documentation) for

award of the CIB to USAHRC, AHRC–PDO–PA, 200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471. Retroactive awards

under these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 29 July 1953.

f. Second and third awards of the CIB are indicated by superimposing 1 and 2 stars respectively, centered at the top

of the badge between the points of the oak wreath. To date, a separate award of the CIB has been authorized for

qualified Soldiers in the following qualifying periods:

(1) World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945).

(2) The Korean Conflict (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953).

(3) The Republic of Vietnam Conflict. Service in the Republic of Vietnam conflict (2 March 1961 to 28 March

1973) combined with qualifying service in Laos; Dominican Republic; Korea on the DMZ; El Salvador; Grenada; Joint

Security Area, Panmunjom, Korea; Panama; Southwest Asia Conflict; and Somalia, regardless of whether a Soldier has

served one or multiple tours in any or all of these areas. The Republic of Vietnam Conflict Era officially terminated on

10 March 1995.

(4) War on Terrorism (Afghanistan, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM) and (Iraq, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM).

g. Subsequent awards of the CIB is not authorized for the same qualifying period, as outlined above. The CIB may

be awarded by the following individuals:

(1) Current awards. These awards may be awarded by USAHRC, AHRC–PDO–PA and any commander delegated

authority by the Secretary of the Army during wartime.

(2) Retroactive awards of the Combat Infantryman’s Badge and Combat Medical Badge. These awards may be

awarded by USAHRC, HRC–PDO–PA to active duty Soldiers and reserve component Soldiers. Applications for

retroactive award of the Combat Infantryman’s Badge (CIB) and CMB will be forwarded through command channels

to USAHRC, AHRC–PDO–PA, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471. Retirees and veterans should address their application to

the National Personnel Records Center, St. Louis, MO 63132–5100. Retroactive award of the CIB and CMB are

authorized for time periods specified above to fully qualified individuals. Such awards will not be made except where

evidence of injustice is presented.

h. The following is a history of the CIB. The CIB was established by the War Department on 27 October 1943.

Lieutenant General Lesley J. McNair, then the Army Ground Forces commanding general, was instrumental in its

creation. He originally recommended that it be called the "fighter badge." The CIB was designed to enhance morale

and the prestige of the "Queen of Battle." Then Secretary of War Henry Stinson said, "It is high time we recognize in a

personal way the skill and heroism of the American infantry."

(1) Originally, the Regimental Commander was the lowest level at which the CIB could be approved and its award

was retroactive to 7 December 1941. There was a separate provision for badge holders to receive a $10 per month pay

stipend, which was rescinded in 1948. Several factors led to the creation of the CIB, some of the most prominent

factors are as follows:

(a) The need for large numbers of well-trained infantry to bring about a successful conclusion to the war and the

already critical shortage of infantrymen.

(B)Of all Soldiers, it was recognized that the infantryman continuously operated under the worst conditions and

performed a mission that was not assigned to any other Soldier or unit.

© The infantry, a small portion of the total Armed Forces, was suffering the most casualties while receiving the

least public recognition.

(d) General Marwill’s well known affinity for the ground forces Soldier and, in particular, the infantryman. All these

factors led to the establishment of the CIB, an award that would provide special recognition of the unique role of the

Army infantryman, the only Soldier whose daily mission is to close with and destroy the enemy and to seize and hold

terrain. The badge was intended as an inducement for individuals to join the infantry while serving as a morale booster

for infantrymen serving in every theater.

(2) In developing the CIB, the War Department did not dismiss out of hand or ignore the contributions of other

branches. Their vital contributions to the overall war effort were certainly noted, but it was decided that other awards

and decorations were sufficient to recognize their contributions. From the beginning, Army leaders have taken care to

retain the badge for the unique purpose for which it was established and to prevent the adoption of any other badge

which would lower its prestige. At the close of World War II, our largest war in which the armor and artillery played

key roles in the ground campaigns, a review was conducted of the CIB criteria with consideration being given to

creating either additional badges or authorizing the badge to cavalry and armor units. The review noted that any change

in policy would detract from the prestige of the badge.

(3) The definition of requirement to be "engaged in active ground combat" has generated much dialogue over the

years as to the original intent of the CIB. The 1943 War Department Circular required infantrymen to demonstrate

"satisfactory performance of duty in action against the enemy." The operative words "in action" connoted actual

combat. A War Department determination in October 1944 specified that "action against the enemy" for purposes of

award of the CIB was to be interpreted as "ground combat against enemy ground forces."

(4) In 1948, the regulation governing badges stipulated that "battle participation credit is not sufficient; the unit must

have been in contact with the enemy." This clearly indicated that an exchange of hostile fire or equivalent personal

exposure was the intent of the Army leadership.

(5) In 1963 and 1965 HQDA messages to the senior Army commander in the Southeast Asia theater of operations

authorized award of the CIB to otherwise qualified personnel "provided they are personally present and under fire."

U.S. Army Vietnam regulations went so far as to require documentation of the type and intensity of enemy fire

encountered by the Soldier. The intended requirement to be "personally present and under fire" has not changed.