BDU Combat Boot Question

BowlofRice

Hi all,

I have 9 BDU coats...I am planning to purchase the appropriate pants and combat boots so I can have a complete uniform. And wear it sometimes. B) Choosing the right pants is very easy, but when it comes to choosing the combat boots I'm totally stuck. Why? Because I'm unsure whether or not there's a particular brand or style I need! I looked through some pictures of personnel wearing BDUs but it only confused me more.

111031-F-1639C-0338.JPG

050108-BDU_days-full.jpg

As you can see, some of the boots are slightly different from each other...I'm seriously stuck. If anyone could show me a particular style and/or brand of combat boots that would be appropriate for a 1990s BDU (All but two of my BDUs date from the 90s, of the two, one is 2000 and the other is 2007) I would appreciate it.

Oh and another question. I purchased a 1996-dated Civil Air Patrol BDU on Friday...but when I looked at pictures of CAP cadets, it seems they usually wear Bates zip-up boots like this.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/bates-tactical-side-zip-boot-for-men-p-16738.html

I don't want to have to buy a separate pair of boots just for my Civil Air Patrol uniform...would it be accurate to wear the normal combat boots that the armed forces wear?

We are still issued BDUs in Civil Air PAtrol (USAF Auxilary) and they issue us rothco black jungle boots. They are comfortable, and sturdy...those are your best bet in my book!

At the end of the black boot life, just about anything was acceptable as long as it was black and looked military. If you are wanting the standard issue boot, the speed lace boot pictured is what was issued.

14m6l4n.jpg

By the end, the Belleville were starting to make way into the military, the first actual comfortable boot I ever wore. These were known as Belleville 880 I believe

2ekkcaf.jpg

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! Yep, I'm lookin' for standard issue. Those boots look great, my birthday's coming up, guess I know what I want now... ;) Well, those and the matching pants...

Ngrovcam, I looked up the Rothco jungle boots and they look very similar to the speed lace boots Hawkdriver showed me. Could I get away with using those instead? Then I'd only have to get one pair of boots.

Hawkdriver, those boots look comfortable...but I'll go with the speed lace ones because those would have probably been worn in the 90s based on what you said...

The full leather speed laces were worn in the late 80's, prior to that was the standard Charlie Brown sole boots. These were regular lace up and had the old style brown plastic insoles that had "Do not boil" printed on them. The Rothco jungles would not have been worn until the 89 at the earliest to early 90's.

2ajtag8.jpg

We wore tanker boots, jungle boots, jump boots, issue boots, and whatever else you could think of as long as they were black. I was issued 2 pairs of speed lace boots and wore them out. In 1992 or so, they finally outlawed the OD green jungle boots, but the black ones were still acceptable.

I wore the issue boots with the chevron shaped Direct Molded Sole (DMS), jump boots, green jungle boots, black jungle boots and insulated Danners.

As stated above, the green jungle boots were banned in the late 80s or early 90s, so I switched to the black ones. The Danners looked a lot like the Belllevilles pictured above, but were never an issue item and they weren't cheap - about $200.00 in the late 80s to early 90s. They were insulated and nice & warm & comfy. I wore those in the winter and the jungles the rest of the year. Jungle boots were not allowed for drill sergeants and certain ceremonies, schools, etc.

• 9 years later...

eventhough cap has switched away from bdu's we still use black leather boots so any boot that is black and leather is good