Looking to purchase this, opinions?

alktrio06

TheGrayGhost

I'm no expert either, but this gun looks really rough. I'm not sure on the price, I'd wait an see if anyone bids on it, Gunbroker has the 15 minute rule so it can't be sniped. If no one bids, the seller may relist at a lower price or you can negotiate with him directly.

Sgt Saunders

Save your money for something better.

I agree, pass. Maybe for another $500.00 you could find a nicer one.

I think I will do that. If I'm going to shell out that kind of money, a little more for one in better condition would be worth it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I would pass on it as well. It's been refinished before at the minimum so all the collector value is gone. I'm not positive it is real either. I would want to see more pics.

Now to be honest though, a really nice 1897 will run you over 4k pretty easy. I've seen some nice one's sell in the 5k range and a couple even more than that. Most of the ones in the 3k range and below are put-togethers.

I'm pretty good with the model 12 Trenchs as that is the one I have always collected. But the 1897's are a whole different breed because they are very, very easy to fake.

There is a guy over on the jouster forum that is an absolute expert on them. I would never buy one without sending him pics of it first.

I would pass on it as well. It's been refinished before at the minimum so all the collector value is gone. I'm not positive it is real either. I would want to see more pics.

Now to be honest though, a really nice 1897 will run you over 4k pretty easy. I've seen some nice one's sell in the 5k range and a couple even more than that. Most of the ones in the 3k range and below are put-togethers.

I'm pretty good with the model 12 Trenchs as that is the one I have always collected. But the 1897's are a whole different breed because they are very, very easy to fake.

There is a guy over on the jouster forum that is an absolute expert on them. I would never buy one without sending him pics of it first.

Wow, thanks for the advice. Do you have that guys screen name?

alot of riot guns get turned into trench guns, some are done pretty crude, the barrels on the riot guns don't have the slots for the bayonet adapter screws so it doesn't fit good, thats what I see the most, I saw one once at a gunshow that looked pretty good until I saw the philips head screws in the buttplate and all the other extra stocks and shrouds the guy had on his table made me decide to walk away. books are worth their weight in gold, take your time and get something that you will not have a bad feeling about and not be able to get rid of because nobody else wants it either..

Looks like the metal, at one time, was rusted pretty badly. It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the finish almost looks like it was spray painted black. Don't walk, but run from this one.

Wow, thanks for the advice. Do you have that guys screen name?

Go to this link and post any questions you have about combat shotguns.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?19-Military-Shotguns

Tom Doniphon and Speedgunner on the forum are two of the best I have ever talkined to on the 1897. If you need any advice on the Model 12, I know those really well. But the 1897 is a different monster and it literally takes many years to spot a really good fake of those. The two guys mentioned forget more than I will ever know on the 1897.