It doesn't get much better than this! Vice Admiral Ashworth's Naval Academy uniform

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

If you love the items we collect for their history as much as for the objects themselves, then you will appreciate what this Naval Accademy blouse represents in regards to 20th Centrury military history.

During my daily troll through eBay uniforms I came across this unassuming midshipman's unifrom and saw the name in the description. I had never heard, or at least did not recognize the name F. L. Ashworth but since I collect WWII and pre-war USMC Officer's uniforms I never miss the opportunity to do a quick name search in the event that a uniform is named to a significant Naval or Marine officer.

Much to my surprise Frederick Lincoln Ashworth was an officer who made history when he was pulled from command of VT-11 to join the Manhattan Project in 1944. 34 year old Ashworth was responsible for the selection of the location of Tinian as the departure point for the 29s that carried the bombs to Japan and, more importantly, was the Weaponeer on Bockscar on the Nagasaki mission. It was indeed, Commander Ashworth who had the responsibility of placing the red firing plugs in the Plutonium bomb after the flight took off that morning and it was Ashworth who had to make the decission to abandon Kokura as the intended target, sealing the fate of the residents of Nagasaki on August 9th 1945. For his very direct part in ending the Second World War, Commander Ashworth received the Silver Star Medal and for his work on the Manhattan Project he received the Legion of Merit.

in the 1950s Ashworth had the honor of commanding the namesake of his former Commander-in-Chief and held the reigns of the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt and continued to serve until 1968 holding the rank of Vice Admiral.

While this uniform does not stand out as much as if it were his 3 star Admiral's blouse decked out with all of his ribbons, it is, at least in my opinion, a piece of history that is hard to be surpassed. Owning an item that you know belonged to one of the men who was on the Enola Gay or Bockscar is akin to hitting the lottery in our hobby and I am greatful to have this piece on display in my collection

post-1672-0-92379100-1374545860.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Frederick Ashworth in the very uniform photographed. A detail photo of the left collar emblem

post-1672-0-17068000-1374547579.jpg

post-1672-0-68486700-1374547610.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

A photograph from the web of Ashworth in his Avenger, and a detail of his Crow

post-1672-0-83770200-1374547726.jpg

post-1672-0-57555300-1374547747.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The name is stamped in the shoulder and neck with correct font as is seen in other USNA uniforms of its era.

post-1672-0-12766200-1374547980.jpg

post-1672-0-14964100-1374547989.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Matching pre-war left shoulder facing Jacob Reed Sons Buttons, and finaly a photograph from late in his career (borrowed from the web).

post-1672-0-08303800-1374548083.jpg

post-1672-0-36554400-1374548191.jpg

I have a few USMA/USNA jackets in my collection and I agree that they help tell the story of the vet as well as any other uniform. That's a great looking piece and I enjoyed reading the history that you've written.

That's awesome. I have a pair of his Admiral rank with a signed letter from him stating that it was his. This uniform is great!

Mike