Different m1, no seam/rim

I found this helmet this morning. It does not have a rim, it is just folded over and the bails are than just attached to the folded over metal

The bails on this helmet are fixed but appear to stick out more than a regular fixed bail, any input is appreciated thank you

I assume this is an early war helmet but I do not know.

PS I am on vacation and can only take crappy photos so I apologize post-105825-0-42359500-1370099198.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an overall shot of the outside of the helmet? Is there corking material? What does the chinstrap hardware look like?......mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Two questions, could some one post a photo of m1917a1 chin straps so I could compare them also could some one provide info on Spanish versions, however I do not think a copy would incorporate a more fragile bail than the origanal

PS shape is defiantly m1 not a French m51

There was a country that cloned the M-1 with the rolled rim. As BOLO stated, it may have been Spain. HOWEVER, The U.S. did try a rolled edge in some production prototypes so....

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

If you want to acquaint yourself with the various M1 clones which were made, look here. The list of countries is alphabetical so scroll down to pick out the likes of Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Austria, W. Germany, Israel and Argentina etc.

http://brendonshelmets.weebly.com/

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Raw edge Spanish shell.

post-8022-0-41398300-1370179190.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Thank you for the link, but I believe we can rule out the Spanish copy due to chin strap

To me the chin strap looks identical to US helmets, when I get home tonight I will try to get a clearer picture, I do not think a copy helmet would use the exact same brass hardware and stitching, can anyone provide info on prototype m1's?

Is there a visible heat lot # stamped inside the shell, near the front?

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

There is not one I can see but is possible that there is a lot of paint covering it

However if if does not have one, wouldn't that support the prototype theory?

Not necessarily.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

I can't say for sure, never having handled any prototypes! However, the lot # was for the steel plate production batch, not the individual helmet.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif