Finally! The holy grail of WWII USMC dog tags-for me that is.

bellasilva

Bellumbill

bellasilva -

Wow, thanks for posting more info. on your tag! Fascinating stuff. Too bad about missing out on the other tag, that stings! Shows you how strange this hobby can be - One tag in Australia, one in the US a world away, and we'll probably never know why. Interesting, notice in the photo the scar on his head, I assume that came from the beating he received at the hands of his Japanese captors? Wow, what an incredible story!

Ha! Figured there were others using Ancestry on these tags, glad too see someone corroborate what I have found to be the case. Recently I missed out on a nice early Korean War set of USMC tags - guy was in a supply unit, not in combat, but was ashore at Inchon.

Best,

Bill K.

Great research about P.H.Doll ... it confirms it's a very interesting piece of history.

I saw the second tag, a few weeks ago on Ebay ... I'm pretty sure it ended up in USMF's fellow collector hands :huh:

bellasilva

bellasilva -

Wow, thanks for posting more info. on your tag! Fascinating stuff. Too bad about missing out on the other tag, that stings! Shows you how strange this hobby can be - One tag in Australia, one in the US a world away, and we'll probably never know why. Interesting, notice in the photo the scar on his head, I assume that came from the beating he received at the hands of his Japanese captors? Wow, what an incredible story!

Ha! Figured there were others using Ancestry on these tags, glad too see someone corroborate what I have found to be the case. Recently I missed out on a nice early Korean War set of USMC tags - guy was in a supply unit, not in combat, but was ashore at Inchon.

Best,

Bill K.

I always hate missing out on Korean era USMC tags, especially the P1917 and P1940 style tags. I recently picked up a set to a Marine engineer who landed at Inchon and was evacuated after the Chosin debacle. He isn't listed as wounded so I assume it was due to frotstbite or something to that effect.

Great research about P.H.Doll ... it confirms it's a very interesting piece of history.

I saw the second tag, a few weeks ago on Ebay ... I'm pretty sure it ended up in USMF's fellow collector hands :huh:

I guess I can't be too upset if it went to another USMF member. That being said, if it did go to a fellow member who may be reading this, I would be glad to send a copy of PFC Doll's personnel file to them to save some money and shed more light on his incredible service. Just send me a PM and it's all yours!

bellasilva

Here's a (poor quality) shot from the Marine Corps Chevron newspaper dated April 29, 1944 quoting PFC Doll briefly on combat in Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester:

post-104906-0-52892900-1370790295.jpg

I guess I can't be too upset if it went to another USMF member. That being said, if it did go to a fellow member who may be reading this, I would be glad to send a copy of PFC Doll's personnel file to them to save some money and shed more light on his incredible service. Just send me a PM and it's all yours!

I told him he could send you a PM ;)

I own two jackets with combat "psychosis" as quoting the records. One was in the 6th Marine Div the other the 3rd Marine div at Iwo. It's heartbreaking reading the issues they dealt with during and after the battle. I choose not to publicize who they are as I believe both are still alive. But it really brings the home the personal and reality of what war is. Intresting enough both reenlisted into the military in the 1950s and served again. Incredible.

Incredible tag! I hope the other one makes it way back to you!

Leonardo

Thanks gents. There is a lot of extra interesting stuff in the file ill be combing through and posting periodically. I wonder if anyone could help me locate his obituary? He passed away in 1977 in New Jersey.

My father knows Doll and knew how he was shot. I called him when I saw your post and he just told me the story about it. He remembers everything and he is 89. (I wish I could remember half of what he does)

Wow I wish my fathers dogtags would show up!

• 8 years later...

Bellasilva,

It’s been “a long time between drinks” ans they say in the classics mate 😄I still have the tag in question.

Happy ‘22 and I hope all is well.

cheers

Sean

8241E216-74C8-4BBA-8BFE-DDB15655641D.jpeg