Some of my models

elvis3006

Great models and figures.

Do you superdetail them?

Back in the 1980s a friend of mine and I went crazy for the François Verlinden items.

He did bring out some really cool stuff.

I do agree with Ian that he made a tank look more like a cargo truck than a fighting vehicle.

Although some original photos do show overloaded tanks (I think that was more when they moved from one location to another behind the front lines).

Erwin

Hi Erwin thank you for the compliments and tips. Yes i super detail them with after market items, photo etch and resin. All those items i feel bring the models more to life.

When I was actively building armor models back in the late 80s/90s the after-market thing really took off, largely due to the activities of the aforementioned M. Verlinden. I can clearly remember buying the Tamiya M4A3 ( a new kit back then!) and then buying a resin tank crew, etched brass parts for the light guards, engine grille and periscope covers etc., molded polystyrene tracks with duckbills and a turned brass gun barrel, plus printed card ration boxes etc. By the time I added up the total cost of the basic kit and accessories it was a staggering amount for the time! The after-market parts cost much more than the basic kit!! I gave up the hobby more than ten years ago but, though I know kit technology has moved on, the related costs have remained constant, in principle !

You are correct about the cost of this hobby, i have not built anything new for over a year now. The majority of my kits that i display here were built between 5 to 10 yrs ago. I mention this now because back then i did not have access to a computer for reference in regards to getting the vehicles correct. For example i will show a model of an M4A2 or A3 used by the USMC on Iwo Jima ( i believe they used the M4A2 correct me if i am wrong ) I only had a poor black and white photo for reference and i had to guess at the color of the camo pattern and placement of gear. Now with better reference i can see that i got it wrong lol. Should i build another Iwo example i will get it right.

And yes the Half track crewman is picking his nose :lol:

Awesome!!! Putting that boogerhook to good use!!! I love it when people model figures true to life doing real life things...

Awesome!!! Putting that boogerhook to good use!!! I love it when people model figures true to life doing real life things...

Thank you :D originally it was to look like he was smoking.

I'd have to agree with sabrejet. Cargo being carried by tanks, apc's or even soft skin vehicles are some how secured to the vehicle. Boxes, ammo cans, tarps, etc aren't just placed someplace on the side or top without being tied down. Seeing models with ammo cans just sitting on top of a tank is wrong to the max. If they aren't secured and the vehicles move, that item becomes another piece of battlefield trash. The modeler needs to remember that the vehicle crew lives depend on those items being there when they need it.

My opinion just doesn't come from looking at thousands of photographs, but from 21 years in the US army. I had always been around vehicles, be it a M113, jeep, HMMWV, Tanks, Bradley's etc. We never left anything lose outside of the vehicle. Well the only time we did was when we stopped to occupy a position.

Going to attach a photograph of a M4A3E8 taken around 1950 somewhere in N.Korea during the 17th Infantry Regiment's push to the Yalu River. In the picture you'll notice that all the equipment is secured somehow and in a location that will not interfere with the normal operations during combat.

post-3699-0-96724500-1361249149.jpg

Sometimes the guys at the maintenance depots would weld on extra tie-down loops onto the hull/turret specifically for stowing personal kit securely.

BTW...I love the technique you've developed for depicting chipped paintwork. Do you achieve that by applying a masking compound over a metallic under-coat?

Two contrasting examples of stowed kit. A static example at the Airborne Museum in Ste Mere Eglise, Normandy, and a beautifully restored mortar-carrier at last summer's War & Peace Show at Beltring, UK.

post-8022-0-23312300-1361264363.jpg

Thank you for the info on the stowage, i am fully aware that these items just do not attach them selves through some mystical perversion of physics. I explained earlier that i opted out of making the little straps because i was just too darn lazy. :) I also have experience in these regards, i have 27 years in the Infantry. I have been an M113 driver, LAV 3 driver/gunner and know full well about proper storage of equipment. I will let you know that although these are models, the turrets have full traverse and the gear does not interfere with elevation or traverse B) Fear not my fellow enthusiasts, should a swarm of North Korean mice come rollin through my home, my armor can bring swift and accurate devastating fire upon them lol. As far a the paint chips, yes i use a masking element and paint over it, i will use a combination of a liquid mask and salt. Once dry i simply remove exposing the primer coat.

I would like to add my praises to the others you already have received. Your models are fantastic! Very detailed, very realistic. Thanks for showing them. Bob

Great work and photography. I have a friend who adds fog and shoots photos in black and white. You would swear you were looking at history.