1918 Au Lion. Real? Worth?

The First Rule

The First Rule

A local seller is offering this trench knife but I only have a vague idea of what I'm looking at from reading internet articles and comparing pictures. No scabbard but the AU Lion scabbard was pretty low quality to begin with. My grandpa had one he brought back from WWII and it just had a leather scabbard, but that knife got lost or given away when he died, and I've been after one ever since.

AULionTrenchKnife1918Mark1_zps87946e44.jpg

AULionStamo_zpsf3c5cc63.jpeg

1918_zps12c92e3f.jpeg

AULionBlade_zps743b59b6.jpeg

In my researched but not expert opinion is that it is real but I figured I should solicit some other opinions. The rubbed off 1918 doesn't strike me as too odd from what I've seen about the AU materials, but the one thing that does seem odd is the centering of the Lion mark on the blade, like the blade was grinded down or something.

So assuming its real, anyone have an idea of what this is worth in this condition? I've seen some nearly perfect LF&C variants sell for around $700-800. I don't know if the AU Lion is rarer. I also don't frequent gun shows too often so I don't really know how available these kind of knives are so I'm not sure if I should pass on this opportunity, but they don't seem to turn up on the internet with much regularity.

Croix de Guerre

The Au Lion was the only version of this knife that was made in France. It is also the only version that may have actually seen combat in WWI. It looks okay to me however without the scabbard I wouldn't offer more than $500. Wait a bit and you can find one with a scabbard.

The Au Lion was the only version of this knife that was made in France. It is also the only version that may have actually seen combat in WWI. It looks okay to me however without the scabbard I wouldn't offer more than $500. Wait a bit and you can find one with a scabbard.

Wow, is upwards of $500 what this knife sans scabbard would go for in France? Here in the U.S. I would not pay more than $250 for it. In fact, honestly, I'd save the $250 and accumulate more money and buy a nicer example. They certainly are not as scarce as hen's teeth here in the U.S.

Tim

The First Rule

Wow, is upwards of $500 what this knife sans scabbard would go for in France? Here in the U.S. I would not pay more than $250 for it. In fact, honestly, I'd save the $250 and accumulate more money and buy a nicer example. They certainly are not as scarce as hen's teeth here in the U.S.

Tim

I appreciate your advice. What exactly would you suggest as the best method of finding a better example. Frequent gun shows? Call around to dealers?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good to me as well, but as others have said, wait for one that comes with a scabbard, they are very hard to find on their own.