WWII Officer's Leggings with zipper

BrianO

Hi there!

Found these "Officer's leggings" while browsing eBay:

$(KGrHqR,!qQFC,1JMQp-BQsqcjZdSg~~60_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b6863d2d

Since I have not seen such modifications if reference material at all, could someone tell me is it a fake or not? The label seems to be ok.

I totally understand that this is a private purchase item, but the idea of sewing in a zipper is SO great, that I should have been done by each high ranking officers eventually.

Wow! That's something I've never seen before in all my years of collecting.....and what a sensible alternative to having to lace those damned leggings up in the usual time-consuming manner! Personally, I think they're probably 100% genuine...and quite rare too! It would be interesting to know what the brand of the zipper is.

Can we see a close up of that tag?

Never underestimate the American Soldier. This is similar to a WW1 thing my Grandfather did. He was a Bugler and so was the first guy to blow revelie. He always told me that he had one of his female friedns knit him what looked like high socks with a spiral design going up them so in the morning he could just pull them on and get up quickly for his duty. Then he could put on the puttees when he had a minute. I always thought that was clever, until I found in a period book of knitting projects that this was something someone had suggested to make for the troops!

Never seen a pair, although I was tempted to have a knitter make some up for me.

Officers leggins? did Enlistedmen know about these? or was it a well kept secret among officers :lol: I guess only an officer could get away with wearing these.

Thanks!

That is amazing. I guess some company thought they couyld sell anything to new officers.

I would think there would be some wear issues as the zippers would tend to rub against the other legging. Which is why possibly it did not take off and we don't see more of them. Amazing the stuff that turns up.