Navy Flight helmet...need a little help.

boxerdogi

This a new addition to the collection. I know he flew Phantoms in 1964, and I think Crusaders just prior. A simple Google search came up with very little. I was hoping someone out there might be able to come up with more. His full name would be Lt. Paul Allen DeTamble. Many thanks.....Tom.

post-3075-0-11929100-1350833492.jpg

northcoastaero

The flight helmet is either a Gentex or Sierra manufactured APH-6A or APH-6D. Possibly a modified APH-6 to APH-6A or APH-6D standards.

The MS-22001 oxygen mask has a Bendix B-1 mini-regulator attached to it along with a lower high pressure hose probably made by REDAR.

The oxygen mask is probably from the F-8 Crusader aircraft instead of the F-4 Phantom II. The F-4 used a larger Firewel and Robertshaw Type 1

miniregulators along with a Oxytronics or REDAR high pressure hose with a female locking connector instead of a male quick disconnect connector

as seen on your mask. Helmet and mask seem to be from the 1960s era. The helmet has a boom microphone on the right side. The helmet

could be set up for a training aircraft such as T-28 Trojan, etc. The APH-6 and APH-6A had foam and leather earcups and the APH-6D had plastic

earcups. Hope this helps.

From the University of Maryland Alumni News:

ENSIGN PAUL De TAMBLE

Paul Allen DeTamble, '41-43. was grad-

uated late in July from the Naval Air

Training Center, Corpus Christi, Tex.,

and was commissioned an ensign in the

U. S. Naval Reserve. He is an expert

flyer, navigator, aerologist, gunner, and

radio operator.

------------------

Ensign Paul A. De Tamble, '41 '42,

USNR. was a recent campus visitor. Paul

has been in the Navy two years and is now

a torpedo bomber pilot.

Thanks for all the information guys. It is greatly appreciated. There were a number of different oxygen mask sets in the grouping ...so being a test pilot makes sense.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to get parts for the APH series of flight helmets? I have my father-in-laws flight helmet that needs a restoration. He was a USMC F-4 pilot from 1968-1970. Pretty sure the helmet is a C model. It has dual visor, side knobs, and grey plastic ear cups. I need the following parts:

1. One white plastic domed washer which goes on the outside of the helmet and helps secure the earphone;

2. Two of the tan leather/vinyl pads that attach to the styrofoam shell;

3. One grey vinyl earcup pad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Want to suprise him for Christmas.

I am glad to report that Paul De Tamble is alive and well and living on the Gulf Coast; he is a very dear friend of mine. I showed him the original post and he verified that he believed that it was his former helmet. He would like me to express his appreciation for everyone who took the time and effort to supply the info above. He is an humble gentleman despite all of his accomplishments. In between wars he was indeed a test pilot and has flown a list of aircraft too long for me even to remember; one of our nation's true heroes.

• 11 years later...

Hello.

I bought some naval items from lieutenant commander Paul Allen de Tamble on eBay in 2016 or 2017.

8 mm films/ his wings of gold / 2 Books

Y want to put on YouTube some of thé films this year

IMG_20240303_125422.jpg

IMG_20240303_125434.jpg