USN garrison caps of WW2

Sabrejet

During WW2 the USN authorised several different colour garrison caps as component parts of the various seasonal and work uniforms for officers and CPOs. Here are examples of four of them. The dark blue wool variant was worn with the winter "blues". The khaki cotton variant was worn in warmer climes with the khaki uniform. The white cotton example was intended for wear with summer whites. However, this was not at all popular as it was considered to make the wearer look like a "soda jerk"! Finally, the grey cotton example was a component of the new slate grey uniform introduce in the latter part of the war and intended to replace the khaki work uniform.

All the insignia is WW2 original. Officers wore the USN crest on the left side and insignia of rank on the right. Aviators often opted to wear miniature wings, as seen here, in place of the Navy crest. Chiefs wore their fouled anchor hat device. A miniature version was available for wear on garrison caps but the large visor hat device was often worn, as seen here. The smaller one is placed alongside it for comparison. (It looks to be silver because the gilding has been worn away) Note the dropped "N" typically seen on WW2 Chiefs' insignia.

post-8022-1346676439.jpgpost-8022-1346676426.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Great selection Ian and a most informative topic. I particularly like the slate grey cap with the wings. I really like that uniform and its not often seen.

All the best,

Will

Great selection Ian and a most informative topic. I particularly like the slate grey cap with the wings. I really like that uniform and its not often seen.

All the best,

Will

Hello Will...thanks. Don't see you on here much these days. Hope all is well?

Ian

Ian, I DID NOT KNOW!!

And the soda jerk thing is true, can you imagine someone asking an off-duty admiral at Penny's for a malt!! :w00t:

Absolutely JS! I've got a pic of one being worn in one of my WW2 books. Looks like a short-order cook! :lol:

Ian, which are pin-backs and which are clutch-backs? I'm guessing the mini-officer's crests, chief's anchor, and wings are pins while the officer's rank are clutches?

Ian, which are pin-backs and which are clutch-backs? I'm guessing the mini-officer's crests, chief's anchor, and wings are pins while the officer's rank are clutches?

Yes...all except the Commanders' leaves are brooch-pin types.