Mystery Ghost patch on WWII USMC Officer coat

uplandmod

Hello Friends!

I've talked about this coat here a few times. I recently looked up the ID on the new Ancestry Roster and I discovered that this Marine was part of the 3rd Marine Division and most likely participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was in OCS and was allowed to stay in college and get his degree before he was commissioned in mid 1944.

When I received his coat it had his Korea War era black EGAs on the collars as he was called up for service during the Korean War. Funny enough his coat was custom made in 1944 and I never put two and two together until Friday when I pulled the sleeve inside out and say the outline of a 3rd Marine Division patch! He must have taken off the patch when he was called up for service during the Korean War.

But this is what intrigues me, below the 3rd Patch there is a small diamond outline that I have never seen before. I looked through all my books and nothing. It's about an Inch long and looks about the size of a red diamond in the middle of IMAC Patches.

Anybody know what might have been there??!! I have never seen this before in all my collecting. My only assumption is that it was something to do with OCS for new officers and what taken off at one point earlier before the 3rd Division patch was taken off.

Let me know!

Leonardo

post-20589-1338822750.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I seem to recall a USMC Honorable Discharge Emblem, a white diamond. I do not know its period of use.

Its to large... and went on the other sleeve.

Yes as TS stated, the honorable discharge diamond was larger and went on the other sleeve.

By time this Marine was commissioned the HD Diamond was already out of use as the ruptured duck had already replaced it.

Thanks for updating the picture Teufelhunde!

Leonardo