Timeline of Army Field Jackets

GoldenCross

GoldenCross

So I got curious about field jacket models yesterday. I began to wonder if I was aware of all the different models that had been used throughout the 20th century in the Army. I looked around the reference sections and found scattered info, but not all in one place.

This may be tough to hammer out with the numerous variations out there, but if we stick to general model updates/replacements by year, perhaps we could lay out a brief timeline of Army field jackets!

Here is the list that I was able to come up with off of the top of my head with the (limited) knowledge that I have in this area. Please feel free to add on the either end or in between, the models that I have missed! I'm sure there are plenty... :pinch:

M-38 (Parson's)

M-41

M-42 (Paratrooper)

M-43

M-43 MQ1

M-50

M-51

M-65

I also regret to say I don't have any pictures of actual jackets that are my own to post here. If you're up to it, post your examples of a model(s) that you have!

And ............one more .

Vintage Productions owns a camouflaged M-43 !!!!!!!!!

And its real complete with tags in an unknown pattern .

owen

GoldenCross

Thanks for the help everybody!

Ian, your pictures are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

As far as pre-WWII goes, I understand they technically wore dress uniforms/tunics into combat. What was the progression of model names for those?

Thanks for the help everybody!

Ian, your pictures are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

As far as pre-WWII goes, I understand they technically wore dress uniforms/tunics into combat. What was the progression of model names for those?

You're welcome...and you are correct in that assumption. The four-pocket EM's jacket was also used in the field. A change was made to the basic design in the late 30s to incorporate a bi-swing pleat to facilitate movement....but I can't recall the actual QM pattern number for that particular model!

GoldenCross
You're welcome...and you are correct in that assumption. The four-pocket EM's jacket was also used in the field. A change was made to the basic design in the late 30s to incorporate a bi-swing pleat to facilitate movement....but I can't recall the actual QM pattern number for that particular model!

Rightfully so! Can't imagine them being all that comfortable! Hahaha

Theres also one inbetween the m51 and m65.Coat, sateen WRT...?Something like that, mine isnt at hand at the moment.Its more or less the same as the m51 but not quite like an m65!

Garandomatic

Isn't it called an M58???

Theres also one inbetween the m51 and m65.Coat, sateen WRT...?Something like that, mine isnt at hand at the moment.Its more or less the same as the m51 but not quite like an m65!

Don't forget the Artic Fieldjacket

Ah yes, the Arctic (designation changed to "Intermediate Cold" sometime in 1942-43): very popular, and consequently, very hard to find today...

post-3226-1335381436.jpeg

There are a number of things that bear mentioning here as you go through this list. For starters, Calling a jump jacket an M-41 or M-42 depending on the jacket is entirely the figment of collectors' imaginations as the real nomenclature of these jackets is "Coat, Parachute Jumper" and there is no differentiation between the two models of jump jackets from a Quartermaster perspective. Additionally, if you are going to include jackets for paratroops, then you should also consider adding the jackets worn by mountain troops, the outer garments worn by the Army Nurse Corps, etc. You can then add pieces like the Macinaw, and the general line of overcoats and parkas worn during and after WWII.

If you are looking for other jackets- A-2 flight jackets were sold to officers in the early days of the airborne forces and were consequently worn in the field. Adding images of Patton in the B-3 flight jacket, and MacAulliffe in his B-10 at Bastogne as well as General Miley in his field jacket liner will increase the number of jackets. Also, it doesn't look like anyone here mentioned the M1944 Field Jacket, aka the IKE!

This timeline could really spiral out of control here.

Allan

GoldenCross
In the early 1990s, we traded our M-65s for the Gore-Tex ECWCS. Those came in several patterns but mine was woodland.

Thanks Matt! Good to know! :thumbsup: