Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Sad to hear of the loss of your friend Joe. My sympathy to his family and friends.

Mikie.

Hi Mikie, many thanks, Joe was well known and liked in the British military vehicle group.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 29 2019.

General Apathy

Sorry about your friend Ken.

Incredibly young.

Hi Peter, Thanks, the photograph of Joe I added several posts back I have made it my current desktop photo, helping to remember the times and memories of meeting up with Joe over the years.

Hahhaaa Erick, thanks, sorry to say you missed a golden opportunity with your comment, surely you should have put

Ken, you're drowning me with this wave of beach jokes !

another one for for you ' what did the beach say when the tide come in ' .... ' Long time no sea '

keeping on the theme of the seaside I have used the pseudonym ' Norman D. Landing ' for many years as a business name.

I enjoyed having a fictitious office manager and his name was ' Sandy Beach '

Part of the small print of using photographs purchased from the U.S. National archives was provide the Archives with a copy of how photos or information was used in print. As I had used quite a few photos from the archive it was far easier to send them a complete book than photo-copy a number of pages. my ' Office manager' Sandy Beach forwarded a copy of the book to the archives, a few years later another English friend visited the archives researching information on WWII US Marines, one of the curators showed Jim a copy of Doughboy to G.I. and contained inside the pages was the accompanying letter from Sandy Beach.

Myself and friends whilst having a beer would often try to think of funny names that would be associated with various companies. I wanted two office juniors Mr. Tide and his helper Mr. Surf. I thought it might be fun if someone phoned in asking to speak to Mr. Tide I could say ' sorry Tides out, but Surfs in '

I once had a phone call from the producer of Jeremy Clarksons Top-Gear programme, when I said Kenneth Lewis speaking he was insistent that he wanted to speak to Mr. Landing, it was a real struggle to try and explain to him that that name was a pseudonym and no such person existed.

There is an antiques dealer in Hastings in the UK, he was actually born on Jun 6th 1944, his family name is Day, so his father seeing all the newspaper headlines stating ' D-Day ' had arrived in Europe, he registered his sons name as Dee Day.

life is a laugh, as long as you make it so.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2019.

Brilliant humor! :D:D:D

General Apathy

My condolences on the loss of your friend Ken.

Hello Simon, thanks, great pity just six months too early, it would have been nice if he had made this years 75th anniversary. Amazing how many veterans hang on for that one last trip to Normandy, and literally go within days or weeks later.

a couple of weeks back we lost Sam Boyack 83rd veteran, Sam visited a couple of years back and when I took him back to the area of his company foxholes he pointed at a house in the distance and said we returned fire on that house in the distance as there was a sniper in the window. Without pre-warning Sam I drove him across town to that building and showed him all the strike marks still on the end wall, he was knocked out and had a great story and photo taken 68 years later to head home to Utah with.

.post-344-0-80871400-1548780524.jpg

General Apathy

Brilliant humor! :D:D:D

Thanks Erick, humor is what you make it. Sadly a short while ago when my daughter requested that I stopped taking part in risky ventures and took better care of myself, I unintentionally caused her to cry with my comment ' life IS a Joke ' and that was the way I thought of it.

Very proud to say though that my daughter is very close to me, and many friends see that.

General Apathy

Sorry about your friend Ken.

Incredibly young.

Hi Peter, as mentioned on another thread, heres the link I mentioned I would post here for you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30 2019.

sad news day . . . . . . . . .

three days ago I received a phone call to say that a long-time Jeeping friend Joe Cooper had died at just 55. Known by everyone affectionately as ' Big ' Joe, he was always happy, jovial and friendly with everyone, as witnessed by all the tributes to him on Facebook and elsewhere.

Joe had a carpet store and about twelve years ago one of my nephews dropped in the store one day to buy some carpet for his house, my nephew didn't know Joe or anything about his collection of militaria and military vehicles. My nephew spotted a copy of Doughboy to G.I. on a shelf in Joe's office and said to Joe ' my uncle wrote that book', laughing Joe pointed at the book and said ' My friend wrote that book '.

It will be a sad summer this year here in Normandy not seeing Joe whizzing around in a Jeep or sat in the rear seat of Matthews Kubelwagen.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2019.

.attachicon.gif50962137_1076924335849313_6847525286964101120_n.jpg

Hi Ken, just catching up here and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Jeeping friend. It's alway tough to lose people you are close to and certainly when they depart at such a young age.

Rene

Thanks Erick, humor is what you make it. Sadly a short while ago when my daughter requested that I stopped taking part in risky ventures and took better care of myself, I unintentionally caused her to cry with my comment ' life IS a Joke ' and that was the way I thought of it.

Very proud to say though that my daughter is very close to me, and many friends see that.

Hi Ken, I think I can understand your daughter's reaction. She obviously wants you to stay around for a very long time to come.

As a matter of fact I think we all do. Got to hit that 1 million views this year, after that, do whatever you want ;):lol:

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, just catching up here and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Jeeping friend. It's alway tough to lose people you are close to and certainly when they depart at such a young age.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for your considerations on Joe, he was well liked and thought of any many people I would believe the funeral will be well attended, it it were possible I would love to be there, but I imagine he will be remembered here in June this year.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I think I can understand your daughter's reaction. She obviously wants you to stay around for a very long time to come.

As a matter of fact I think we all do. Got to hit that 1 million views this year, after that, do whatever you want ;):lol:

Rene

Hi Rene, lost for words on this one other than ' Thanks '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31 2019.

General Apathy

yes a verry long time

Hi Robert, thanks for the sentiment, had to laugh at your slip of the finger on a ' verry ' long time, being a Jeeper then I can only say I would love to be here for a Wheelie long time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 01 2019.

General Apathy

Ken,

When you loose a brother its always hard.

Luckly we found each other in the first place and made that magic happen.

owen

Thanks Owen a good thought, and talking of ' brothers ' then Brothers in arms by Dire Straights is a special favourite of mine

Hello Simon, thanks, great pity just six months too early, it would have been nice if he had made this years 75th anniversary. Amazing how many veterans hang on for that one last trip to Normandy, and literally go within days or weeks later.

a couple of weeks back we lost Sam Boyack 83rd veteran, Sam visited a couple of years back and when I took him back to the area of his company foxholes he pointed at a house in the distance and said we returned fire on that house in the distance as there was a sniper in the window. Without pre-warning Sam I drove him across town to that building and showed him all the strike marks still on the end wall, he was knocked out and had a great story and photo taken 68 years later to head home to Utah with.

.attachicon.gifpost-344-0-82963300-1527540771.jpg

Can't imagine what was going through his mind seeing those bullet strikes again. It is wonderful of you, Ken, to take him there. It is a great thing you do to show the veterans that the things they did so long ago are still remembered and appreciated.

Mikie

I can certainly relate to the daughter thing. NOTHING is more important to me. Never the daredevil like Ken, but when she was born, I tried to be a bit more careful about things I did. But when you think about it, things can turn really bad no matter how careful you are. So many close calls just walking through the intersection at the end of my block. So may as well have fun as long as you don't go too nuts about it. And I basically agree that life is a joke. Just not a very good one sometimes, but sometimes a really great one. And I'm never quite sure who's the joker or the jokee.

Mikie

Mind if I bring up a different subject? Are there any interesting battlefields or military sites to see in area near Lyon? I may have access to an auto. I know about the resistance museum and plan on stopping there, but I can't find anything online that is near Lyon.

Without a doubt, one of the very best job functions I've ever had was given to me by my boss Phil when I started work as an R&D technician at Trimble Nav. My instructions were to take at least a couple of hours a month wandering around the wonderful dusty shelves at the legendary Halted Specialty Corporation electronics surplus warehouse. I was to pick up anything I thought would be cool and useful in the lab up to the petty cash limit of $50.00. Oh what fun!

Since leaving Trimble years ago, my trips to HSC have been much fewer. Sadly, on my visit a week ago I found a "Closed" sign on the door. Out of business as a brick-and-mortar site after 54 years. Legend has it that folks like Steve Wozniak dug up parts there when companies like Apple were just start-ups. Oh the great times I've had there! As far as I know, this is the last of it's kind here in the South Bay area.

post-2687-0-33177700-1549057020.jpg post-2687-0-34420600-1549057043.jpg

post-2687-0-58147700-1549057060.jpg

It will be missed.

Mikie

From time to time I would spot some things more directly related to here at HSC.

I grabbed these WW2 Army and Navy vacuum tubes a while back.

post-2687-0-06479200-1549057628.jpg

And last summer I found this old US Navy amp gauge. I'm guessing the 2-42 on the back is the date. I haven't been able to narrow down where this would have been used, but I just love that big old anchor marking!

post-2687-0-74675100-1549057651.jpg

post-2687-0-43439900-1549057671.jpg

Mikie

Can't imagine what was going through his mind seeing those bullet strikes again. It is wonderful of you, Ken, to take him there. It is a great thing you do to show the veterans that the things they did so long ago are still remembered and appreciated.

Mikie

Can't agree more!

Rene

From time to time I would spot some things more directly related to here at HSC.

I grabbed these WW2 Army and Navy vacuum tubes a while back.

attachicon.gifTubes.jpg

And last summer I found this old US Navy amp gauge. I'm guessing the 2-42 on the back is the date. I haven't been able to narrow down where this would have been used, but I just love that big old anchor marking!

attachicon.gifAmp gauge front.jpg

attachicon.gifAmp gauge.jpg

Mikie

Great items, Mikie, especially the tubes. I've always liked them for what they are. Call me old fashioned but I have a thing for tube operated items like amplifiers or radios etc. Microchips just leave me cold, hahaha.

Rene

Hi all, just got this book in about Invasion Airfields. I've always enjoyed the After the Battle magazines and books and still read them (and I know I'm not the only one :)). The book led me to do a youtube search about Engineer Aviation Battalions that were tasked with constructing these airfields. I found two imo worthwhile videos about two Battalions that were active in Europe. I hope you enjoy them.

post-169612-0-68710200-1549213522.jpg

Rene

Thanks Owen a good thought, and talking of ' brothers ' then Brothers in arms by Dire Straights is a special favourite of mine

Hi Ken, even though I'm not a Dire Straits aficionado I do think it is a great song featuring some great guitar playing.

Rene