Straight and Stalwart

mdeming1

This is my grandfathers during his time in Korea. He was ordered over from occupied Japan to set up the armor school and was there for the entire war. I'll take a photo of his uniform. Kmag on the shoulder and his armor patch from Europe still in the pocket!

This is a large plaque. If it doesn't belong in this forum, please tell me where to post it.

Thanks.

Matt

post-18547-1327468476.jpg

This is my grandfathers during his time in Korea. He was ordered over from occupied Japan to set up the armor school and was there for the entire war. I'll take a photo of his uniform. Kmag on the shoulder and his armor patch from Europe still in the pocket!

This is a large plaque. If it doesn't belong in this forum, please tell me where to post it.

Thanks.

Matt

post-18547-1327468476.jpg

A gorgeous wood carving, it most certainly belongs. This is the distinguished unit insigina of the 41st Infantry Regiment, in WWII it fought as an Armored Infantry unit in the 2nd Armored Division. In 1946 the unit was partially deactivated, with it being only a Battalion sized organization being retained, this unit became the 41st Armored Infantry Battalion, this newly designated unit continued to serve as part of the post war 2nd Armored Division, which was located at its new post at Fort Hood Texas, your grandfather no doubt served at one point in this unit, either before or after the Korean War, as the 2nd Armored Division did not serve in either Japan or in combat in Korea, this Division sent one of its Tank Battalions to the far east, the 6th Tank Battalion, this was the only unit that was sent, of course individual officers and men of the 2nd Armored Division where sent or volunteered to go to the far east, arriving in Japan and then going on to Korea. The 2nd Armored Division to include the 41st Armored Infantry Battalion was transferrd to Germany in July 1951. Do post your photos this will not only help, but we can also see another photo from that period, and we just love photos of men in uniform :lol:

A gorgeous wood carving, it most certainly belongs. This is the distinguished unit insigina of the 41st Infantry Regiment, in WWII it fought as an Armored Infantry unit in the 2nd Armored Division. In 1946 the unit was partially deactivated, with it being only a Battalion sized organization being retained, this unit became the 41st Armored Infantry Battalion, this newly designated unit continued to serve as part of the post war 2nd Armored Division, which was located at its new post at Fort Hood Texas, your grandfather no doubt served at one point in this unit, either before or after the Korean War, as the 2nd Armored Division did not serve in either Japan or in combat in Korea, this Division sent one of its Tank Battalions to the far east, the 6th Tank Battalion, this was the only unit that was sent, of course individual officers and men of the 2nd Armored Division where sent or volunteered to go to the far east, arriving in Japan and then going on to Korea. The 2nd Armored Division to include the 41st Armored Infantry Battalion was transferrd to Germany in July 1951. Do post your photos this will not only help, but we can also see another photo from that period, and we just love photos of men in uniform :lol:

Small correction- They are Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI), not "distinguished unit insignia" although the unit might well be distinguished for its service.

Hi all

Thank you for your kind comments and information. No doubt my facts are mixed up because this particular grandfathers career was very interesting. I know he was in the 5th armored in Europe but when he and my nurse grandmother were married in Germany on VJ day, (served by ex-nazi officers) he was in another. My mother was born in (Camp) Hood in'46 and grandpa was wired that info as he was on a ship to occupied Japan. Mom and grandma drove from TX to Olympia WA with my two aunts! Then the two.caught a ship over. Grandma relayed the story of Japanese marveling at moms blonde hair. Grandpa was sent right away to Korea to set up the armor school and get as many tanks as possible to the UN troops (these are some of the most fantastic photos I have) also see my stereo viewers from this time.

After Korea back to Germany and I have photos of whatever unit that was and more history to follow

Small correction- They are Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI), not "distinguished unit insignia" although the unit might well be distinguished for its service.

Check, thanks for the correction atb.