M1 Fixed Bale with Hawley Liner Possible D-Day Helmet Markings

LetsGo82nd

I'm sorry, did I miss something? Why woudl a red band mean D-Day? I mean, the regs for the Navy call specifically for gray. NOT red. I have talked to the guys who painted them. I have held original copies of the orders in my hands and talked to the officers who oversaw that their men did what they were supposed to. I have never, ever ever seen anything mentioning red bands in any type of amphibious invasion. Making the leap from 7th NBB red is just, well, quite astonishing- and seeing as how I am the guy that did all that research to begin with I think I might have a clue as to what I am talking about. I meam, come on guys, wishing is one thing, but making a leap to d-day is just downright silly.

Over the many MANY years the M1 helmet was used there have been zillions of simple markings painted on helmets that mean many different things. Most of them quite mundane like positions at schools, or range officers, or firemen, or you name it. The number of helmets painted up for comat reason, such as D-day, are very few. There have been times I have sorted through stacks of helmets way back when, and there were all kinds of bands, circles, squares, lines, numbers, and oddball initials. When they were sent to be recycyled they were just sprayed over in OD. (I even have photos of them doing this in the ETO).

I agree with mr. Gawne on this topic. Great looking helmet anway!

Cheers,

Mike