Dual Marked M3

Newscotlander

Really can't say as far as price goes. I'd go through "ebay M3 Trench Knives" get an average of blade marked Uticas of similar condition, then figure in 10% or 15%, for the guard mark. I would not even think that it would be worth a whole lot more than that. That Camillus in the lower thread is crazy at $2500. Just a guess, and what I would try to negotiate. SKIP

Newscotlander

Wouldn't a dual marked knife be rarer than some of the more expensive manufacturers like Aerial and Boker? I should think the price would be more in line with those. Just my opinion.

I'm going along with Skip. It's not that I'm the "know it all of knives", but rather as a collector of some very nice knives. I don't see a great value in this knife and I would suggest you take the high road and be careful. :thumbsup:

Newscotlander
I don't see a great value in this knife and I would suggest you take the high road and be careful. :thumbsup:

I'm not really sure what you mean. Maybe you could PM me and explain. I have a small collection of M3 knives and am not really interested in parting with this one. Though I do think that this is something that an advanced collector would have instead of myself.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Maybe you could PM me and explain. I have a small collection of M3 knives and am not really interested in parting with this one. Though I do think that this is something that an advanced collector would have instead of myself.

Chris, I would think your knife is scarce, both guard, and blade, however mint, unissued Imperials, as even my 1 and only now, [i had Bokers, Case, etc,] the mintier, the more value, especially in M6 scabbard

Newscotlander-As I discussed the other day, it's hard to set a price. There are none in the price guides I've seen, by individual manufacturer, ,setting any type of dollar amount precident. Mint versions, I'm sure would, as always, command higher prices. But, since we're only guess-timating, it would probably come down to what seller, and buyer negotiate, that satisfies both parties. I threw out the 10%-15% above normal average price as a start point. It's like any other variation. Which might be worth more, say an Imperial, Utica, or Camillus. These three companies dominated M3 production. Where as Aerial, and Boker, were on the lower end of production, a dual marked could command a higher price over the first three makers (RCC made no guard marked). Difficult to say. But, fun to discuss! SKIP

Newscotlander- If you bought it, perhaps you could be a precedent-setter, and let us know what you paid. At least we could establish a "start point" for Utica dual marked prices. Anyone else have a dual marked of any manufacturer they'd be willing to share the cost of. We could get something going that could benefit us all. I do not own a dual marked. THX SKIP

Newscotlander

SKIPH, I'd be happy to let you know what I paid for this knife but I doubt it will help in establishing a price. I don't think the dealer who I purchased it from realized what it was. In January, 2004 I paid $140. That was a low price even for a regular blade marked Utica M3 back then.

Newscotlander
Eight years ago you got a good deal! In your opinion, what do you figure it's worth now? SKIP

I don't know. I would think that there are items in your collection that you would part with for the right price. The right price is unknown until it is offered to you. It may be higher than market value or it might not be.

I remember a story my father tells of offering a certain amount for a piece of property and getting turned down. A year or two later the property was sold to someone else for less than he had offered. It's all about offering the right price at the right time I guess.

Lets try this! Without actually handling the dual marked Utica, I personally would not go above $350. If I handled it, I might go to $400. Here's my rationale. I own four Uticas. Blade-dated w/M8-paid--$650(2011), that's based on rarity, and how long it took me to get a hold of one (45 years), blade marked, slightly used and sharpened, w/ M8=paid $175 (1998), Guard marked mint w/ mint M8A1 6 groove=paid $150, and a mint guard marked 8 groove w/ mint M8A1=paid $225 both around !999. If you average it out it comes to $300 apiece, Utica made 655,000. The second highest producer of M3 behind Imperial. Also during WW2 Utica made and stamped guards for PAL M3s, and stamped them on the top w/ Utica, and on the bottom w/ PAL. What I'm trying to get at is Utica was very prolific in M3 production, if there's one, there's more. Both dual marked threads have already produced an Imperial, Camillus, Utica, so most companies made them at some point in change over. Rare yes, but not unique. With ebay, and our awareness, I believe more will turn up, leaving room for negotiation. Sorry, very long winded. SKIP

.......I own four Uticas. Blade-dated w/M8-paid--$650(2011), that's based on rarity, and how long it took me to get a hold of one (45 years)..........

WOW Skip...... You're loosening-up in your later years !! :lol:

Jack's Son- I was desperate! Had the money, and it presented itself. First Utica- dated I handled was in 1967. That was the last one I handled until the one I bought presented itself. Figured I might be running out of time both financially and in years of collecting. Don't see another 45 years of patience left. From that first UC in 1967 I touched until the first I bought in 1981 (Imperial guard) was a long stretch. From there it only took me 30 years to get all the major variations blade-dated, blade, and guard. Trying to use some of that rationale on dual marked, and the last few variations, hope it works. No stress now! SKIP

Frank Trzaska

If you really want to know and are willing to experiment, list it on ebay with a super high reserve and see what it goes to. That way you can see actually what someone is willing to pay for it. That is the best way to see the value at this time.

All the best

Frank Trzaska