Anybody ID this CW or earlier bayonet?

Garandomatic

My grandpa found this under the porch of the cabin he lived in that was a part of the family farm at the time. Dad told me the cabins in the hollow were all built around 1800-1820. Grandpa would have found it around 1927 or so. We had family in the Civil War, as well as the Revolution, and it as at least a decent likelihood that this was from a family member. All of the Civil War bayonets I have seen had a blood groove of sorts on the sides of the blade, not sure of the proper term for that... Anyways, this blade is perfectly flat on all three sides, and I am also puzzled by the socket area. It is solid, with no slot cut like many other bayonets I have tried to research from the Civil War and Revolution. I know it's in rough shape, but can anyone tell what it once was? I can take more pics if needed.

post-9670-1324876621.jpg

While we're waiting for an expert to check in, I checked around and it looks like the War of 1812-era socket bayonet had no fuller (which is often called the blood groove even though it has nothing to do with blood), but the ones I found all have a slot to lock them on. I wonder if part of the socket rusted away and broke off? How long is the socket (and the blade)?

Socket is just shy of 3" long, the blade is 18" from where the "triangulation" begins to the tip. It is 3/4" wide at the rear, and the socket's inner diameter is between 3/4" and 7/8". Good bit of action happened in this state and the Great Lakes above us, so 1812 is definitely a possibility.

It is certainly a possibility also that the slotted section of the socket broke off, but the rear is pretty much a straight cut. It might break that way if cutting the slot weakened it a good bit.

Man, it sure does look like that... Who used them in the Civil War? Were they issued in large numbers to any particular units? I might be able to ID who brought it back...! Cool!

Looks like a Prussian Potsdam bayonet. Here is a link for some information.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/prus1809.htm

They were used in the Civil War.

Bill

Still-A-Marine
Man, it sure does look like that... Who used them in the Civil War? Were they issued in large numbers to any particular units? I might be able to ID who brought it back...! Cool!

I am under the impression they were used by both sides at the beginning of the war.

Bill

If you do a Google search and look at Potsdam musket bayonets that sure seems to be what it is. One source says the musket was "imported by both sides at the beginning of the Civil War" and another guys says "In August of 1861, about 165,000 of these were imported by the North," and he had a reproduction commissioned: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/...ew-Potsdam-1809

potsdam.jpg

I think one of the relatives was an early member of one of the Ohio volunteer groups. Thanks for the ID, guys. I searched for several different weapons, but would have never found this. Thanks!

I think one of the relatives was an early member of one of the Ohio volunteer groups. Thanks for the ID, guys. I searched for several different weapons, but would have never found this. Thanks!

That's interesting. I have seen many Potsdams that are marked Ohio on the wrist in the wood. I am not certain which Ohio units had them, however they were a gun that was used by some Ohio regiments.

- Ron