Mark 1 Trench knife knockoffs

siclfde

Have been collecting blades for a few years and have developed an affinity for WWI/II knuckle knives. Probably have about 75 or so. Picked one up in Allentown a few weeks ago that had a Mark 1 trench knife brass knuckle grip fastened to a bayonet blade. As I was looking at it when I got home, I realized I had several that were theater modifications with the brass Mark 1 handles. All different sizes, shapes, etc.

Thought I would share some pics and see if any interest - not for sale, just to look/discuss.

I'll post a group picture first and if there is any interest, will post individual close-up pics and descriptions later.

post-8804-1324071477.jpgpost-8804-1324071468.jpg

Nice to see that others find Allentown as interesting as I do, GREAT collection and I also will be looking forward to seeing more pictures. I picked up one on sunday that had a hack saw blade with a poured aluminum handle, one of the theater knives. Congrats

Tony

Nice to see that others find Allentown as interesting as I do, GREAT collection and I also will be looking forward to seeing more pictures. I picked up one on sunday that had a hack saw blade with a poured aluminum handle, one of the theater knives. Congrats

Tony

I keep hearing people talk about shows in Allentown. I live in North Wales also, so it is not far away. Where in Allentown are they?

Ok - I have had many views and a few who expressed interest in seeing more detail. What I will do is post some close-ups and a little description of each one.

Here is the first one. It is the one I picked up in Allentown. The scabbard did not come with it, but it was a perfect fit. It is the LF&C model and has a 13 inch blade. The blade is marked on the top near the guard "G.H. Osang, Dresden" and then a bunch of hallmarks as shown in pic. Little bit of rust and use, but have never seen another.

More to follow as I get time - enjoy.

Cliff

post-8804-1324135587.jpgpost-8804-1324135577.jpg

post-8804-1324135596.jpg

Here is # 2. This doesn't have the MK1 handle, but they used a very similar mold. Brass. The flange is flattened on one side to wear easier. 7 5/8" blade is a little heavier than the normal MK1 blade. The leather scabbard is really neat as it has a fold over flap with snap closure.

post-8804-1324149751.jpgpost-8804-1324149743.jpgpost-8804-1324149732.jpg

#3. An Rock Island arsenal piece modified into a treench knuckle knife. Markings as pictured. Scabbard is neat as it has a belt loop piece that swivels for ease of wear. Metal scabbard sewn inside leather exterior. 9 1/2" blade and extended lead/steel (??) skull crusher.

post-8804-1324150422.jpgpost-8804-1324150415.jpgpost-8804-1324150407.jpg

#4 - last one for today.

One of my favorites. A kris blade mated with a chopped flange MK1 Au Lion handle. Looks real to me, but there is a casting defect in the 2nd knuckle loop from the back, so maybe not. Anybody know if the Au Lion handles sometimes had casting defects? 6 1/2" blade, all tightly secured. Mouth of scabbard is stamped "(unreadable SMO".

post-8804-1324161008.jpgpost-8804-1324161017.jpgpost-8804-1324161023.jpg

Cliff

Very interesting collection, great pictures. The knuckle knives are a favorite among a lot of collectors, and you have some nice ones there.

Tony

Austin, the shows are at the fair grounds about every three months. The Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society runs them. I think the next one is in February.

That is a really nice Collection you have built up there of the different types and

Variations of Examples of the WWI Knuckle Knife :thumbsup: Very Nice to see the different types and Modifications done at that time!

#4 - last one for today.

One of my favorites. A kris blade mated with a chopped flange MK1 Au Lion handle. Looks real to me, but there is a casting defect in the 2nd knuckle loop from the back, so maybe not. Anybody know if the Au Lion handles sometimes had casting defects? 6 1/2" blade, all tightly secured. Mouth of scabbard is stamped "(unreadable SMO".

post-8804-1324161008.jpgpost-8804-1324161017.jpgpost-8804-1324161023.jpg

I really like the KRIS bladed one.

#5. All the markings have been ground off the side, but I think it is the "Au Lion" model handle. Either that or it is a knockoff using an Au Lion mold. Probably a knockoff, as the top of the brass is a little flatter and the top of the flange is straight. Never-the-less, a nice piece. Has a chopped down 7 1/2" bayonet blade and an extended, very sharp skull crusher nut. What is really neat is the scabbard. All leather and obviously period and obviously built for this knife. It has a leather loop at the end to hold the extended skull crusher. It also has a double bend at the mouth to accomodate the flange and an extra piece of leather behind the whole thing to more tightly secure it. Real piece of leather work. You have probably guessed by now that I like great scabbards almost as much as I like knuckle knives

post-8804-1324218816.jpgpost-8804-1324218804.jpgpost-8804-1324218796.jpg

# 6. This is a Case blade (commonly called the V-44) affixed to an "Au Lion" handle. 9 1/4", properly marked Case bowie blade. Appears to be the original Case V44 sheath. Nice and heavy and solid.

post-8804-1324219414.jpg

post-8804-1324219404.jpg

post-8804-1324219385.jpg

#7 and last one. Saved the best for last. The other two in the group picture are just the regular Mark 1 trench knives with nothing unique about them so I am not going to post them. John, if you are watching, you will probably recognize this piece. My best piece.

This is a smatchet blade (yes Dennis - it is) expertly secured to an LF&C handle. Has had one side of the flange ground off to accomdate easier carrying w/o beating the wearer's hip bone to death. Blade is unmarked, as are all smatchet blades.

The scabbard is so unique I am doing an extra post just for it, as I can't get enough pics in one post. So, see next post also.

post-8804-1324220345.jpg

post-8804-1324220302.jpg

post-8804-1324220316.jpg

Original Smatchet scabbard. It is marked on the front with the owner's name (Donald Moody) and service number and a very expertly done unit crest (43rd bomb wing) carved into the leather. The back has 1945 and what I think is the namne of a ship (aircraft carrier??). I can make out USS but have a hard time with the rest of it.

post-8804-1324220973.jpg

post-8804-1324220954.jpg

post-8804-1324220941.jpg

Well - that's it. Hope you all have enjoyed viewing and happy holidays.

#5. All the markings have been ground off the side, but I think it is the "Au Lion" model handle. Either that or it is a knockoff using an Au Lion mold. Probably a knockoff, as the top of the brass is a little flatter and the top of the flange is straight. Never-the-less, a nice piece. Has a chopped down 7 1/2" bayonet blade and an extended, very sharp skull crusher nut. What is really neat is the scabbard. All leather and obviously period and obviously built for this knife. It has a leather loop at the end to hold the extended skull crusher. It also has a double bend at the mouth to accomodate the flange and an extra piece of leather behind the whole thing to more tightly secure it. Real piece of leather work. You have probably guessed by now that I like great scabbards almost as much as I like knuckle knives

post-8804-1324218816.jpgpost-8804-1324218804.jpgpost-8804-1324218796.jpg

Outstanding.... I think some of the scabbards are just as interesting as the knives too. Some of the craftsman and GI's were really clevor and creative. I've noticed that many types of the knives you displayed were used by the paratroopers in southern france. They were very "hollywood" with machine guns, knives, etc. While the paratroopers up north modified gear it was nothing like the guys did down south. Just an observation.

thanks for sharing,

Curt