Navy DSM broach

Hobza

It looks like the case is wrong for a Navy WWII/earlier issue DSM, too. Should'nt have the seperate section for the lapel pin. Is the case titled?

G

The case doesn't look like a navy DSM case but that aside WW2 Navy DSM's did use a gold colored brooch. Yours looks good.

By the way the correct spelling is brooch :-)

Here's my two cents. I believe that as stated earlier, this is a post war (and most likely crimp brooched Navy DSM that has been re-ribboned to look like a wrap brooch piece. While I can't fault the brooch, I do NOT like the ribbon one bit. Not only does it not match the size of the brooch, it has a far more modern look to it than what a vintage ribbon drape would have. I would want to see some moir to the ribbon. This doesn't even have good color!

The ribbon bar is NOT the type that was ever issued with a medal. It is private purchase and has had a pinback holder thrown into it.

The case is for the Army Distinguished Service Medal.

I think somebody is going to take a pounding on this one price-wise.

Allan

The titled case doesn't look right to me. The letters appear blured, the font is different, and the title is not centered on the case. I would almost suspect that someone added the title to an unnamed case.

Here is an Army DSM case from a recent Ebay auction in a side by side comparison...

post-12036-1319036624.jpg

The whole thing is suspicious to me! I would not bid more then what I felt the parts were worth and consider it a fake spot filler, i.e... not much. This dealer seems to have a mix of stuff I would consider real and fake. I am starting to see this more and more one ebay. :thumbdown:

I agree with AllAn,

The brooch and ribbon are wrong, and the stitching is also suspect. The brooch is too largenfor the ribbon, and the ribbon is too new for medal.

All in all.....stay away.

dhcoleterracina

Case is not Navy and weird, I don't think I've ever seen the title up high, always centered. The wrap brooch is over sized for the ribbon, and poorly attached. You won't be happy with this.

Has anyone actually seen a USN short titled DSM case? The very few cased WW2 USN DSM's I've encountered have been in the light blue "coffin" case.

I'll play devils advocate on this one.... the planchet and brooch are correct for a WWII Navy DSM.... the case, ribbon, lapel bar and ribbon bar are not.

DakotaDave

I'll play devils advocate on this one.... the planchet and brooch are correct for a WWII Navy DSM.... the case, ribbon, lapel bar and ribbon bar are not.

DakotaDave

I have to agree. I have been looking at it for a couple days and trying to put my digits on what I liked because there is so much not to like...and it's the planchet. When I compare this to a later issue piece the deeper richer tone as well as the color/tone of the enamel tells me. Additionally, if you look at the connection on the swivel it is thicker and more regular in shape than you will find on later issues. The roundness of the suspension ring ball is well defined and actually round with the hole in the middle of the ball (or it appears). The overall details on the strike are better and more defined.

The other components speak for themselves......

I have to agree. I have been looking at it for a couple days and trying to put my digits on what I liked because there is so much not to like...and it's the planchet. When I compare this to a later issue piece the deeper richer tone as well as the color/tone of the enamel tells me. Additionally, if you look at the connection on the swivel it is thicker and more regular in shape than you will find on later issues. The roundness of the suspension ring ball is well defined and actually round with the hole in the middle of the ball (or it appears). The overall details on the strike are better and more defined.

The other components speak for themselves......

What said "yes" to me was the lighter blue enamel.... very typical of war time DSM's, also the quality of the overall strike and finishing compared to later post war DSM's was much better.

It should go for $500 to $650, if it had been on the original ribbon it would definitely go for $600+.

DakotaDave

DakotaDave

Totally agree. Except for the ribbon, the planchet and brooch are identical to a WW2 example I have.

post-322-1319070105.jpg

correct me if im wrong, but isnt a good way to tell if the ribbon is good or not is the black light test? :think:

Possibly. But also compare the appearance of the two. The modern replacement ribbon is very "flat" in color. The example I posted has the nice wavy "moire" look to it.

Possibly. But also compare the appearance of the two. The modern replacement ribbon is very "flat" in color. The example I posted has the nice wavy "moire" look to it.

this is very true, yours has more deffinition. I only asked because thats how i check my ribbons.

this is very true, yours has more deffinition. I only asked because thats how i check my ribbons.

It's a useful way. However, I find that my computer screen is a bit too bright to get a good sense if the item glows or not when I hold my black light up to it.

OK,so let me summarize for my (and possibly others) education..

Case - not correct for any vintage DSM, possibly local remanufacture

Lapel pin - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Service Ribbon - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Large Medal Ribbon - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Brooch - correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Planchet - correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

So, theoretically, what we have is a reribboned WWII Navy DSM, with an incorrect lapel pin and service ribbon, and a remanufactured case, put together to appear to be a

complete cased set.

The brooch and planchet is really worth $500 - $600 by themselves?

Thoughts?

OK,so let me summarize for my (and possibly others) education..

Case - not correct for any vintage DSM, possibly local remanufacture

Lapel pin - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Service Ribbon - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Large Medal Ribbon - not correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Brooch - correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

Planchet - correct for WWII vintage Navy DSM

So, theoretically, what we have is a reribboned WWII Navy DSM, with an incorrect lapel pin and service ribbon, and a remanufactured case, put together to appear to be a

complete cased set.

The brooch and planchet is really worth $500 - $600 by themselves?

Thoughts?

I think if someone did a good reribboning job on the medal and brooch that could easily make it a $500-600 medal. The last one I saw on ebay with original ribbon (I think it has been in the last year) sold for $600-650. I would categorize a WWII Navy DSM medal as "scarce" meaning you probably only see them at the rate of 1 maybe 2 a year, so yes $600 would be an expected figure.

DakotaDave

I think if someone did a good reribboning job on it the medal and brooch could easily be a $500-600 medal. The last one I saw on ebay with original ribbon (I think it has been in the last year) sold for $600-650. I would categorize a WWII Navy DSM medal as "scarce" meaning you probably only see them at the rate of 1 maybe 2 a year, so yes $600 would be an expected figure.

DakotaDave

so just the broch and planchet are worth 600? the fact that its been damaged and or assembled dont decrease the value at all?

so just the broch and planchet are worth 600? the fact that its been damaged and or assembled dont decrease the value at all?

I don't consider reribboning a medal as repairing damage, ribbons wear out or get soiled and replacing them does not decrease a medals value to a major extent, I guess it is up to the individual as to whether they will accept reribboning in order to obtain a medal they may see for sale only occasionally.

DakotaDave