USMC Marked Pistol Belt

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

I just purchased this pistol belt off of eBay. I’ve looked through the reference sections of the forum and don’t see any reference to US Marine Corps. Pistol Belts with small “U.S.M.C.” marking on the outside of the belt. What do you guys think? Real or Fake?

Thank you for your comments

Craig

post-12393-1314209962.jpg

Steve Brannan

I don't think that it is an original Marine Corps belt. Don't think it should have the US on front and USMC on back side. USMC pistol belts that I have seen don't have US on front and USMC is a larger font. Just my opinion.

craig_pickrall

For what it is worth the US is stamped upside down too. While it has been proven that these were used I think this one was done at the same time as the USMC stamp. It is probably one of the belts that have come back to the US from Russia.

Catfishcraig

:pinch:

Thanks for the help guys. Didn't pay alot for it because I knew I was taking a chance. I'll post more pics when I get it in the mail, they may come in handy for to prevent sombody else making the same mistake.

Thanks again for the comments.

Looks like the guy stamped it himself.

I have never seen an item marked with both "US" and "USMC" at the same time. It's either one or the other or nothing at all, although there are sometimes rare exceptions but this doesn't look like one.

Sounds like you didn't pay much for an otherwise decent pistol belt.

Cheers!

Leonardo

Hi !

Just for reference here are some pictures of two legitimate USMC pistol belts. Both marked S.F.Co. Inc. The first one, mint and unused is 1943 marked. The other one 1942. No U.S. on the front of the belts and larger U.S.M.C. stamp. I totally agree with what has been said above: a nice belt with bogus stamps. Too bad...

Fausto

post-8381-1314254418.jpg

post-8381-1314254434.jpg

combat-helmets

That font is strange... I too believe it to be not authentic.

Tread with caution when it comes to these belts.

The authentic USMC pistol belts were for the most part used up. Therefore it is rare to find one, hence their increased value.

The fakers just need to put a stamp on and there you have it!

This is when I learned about the "Russian" lend lease belts.

Here's a link to an old post of mine that may be of help to you.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...smc+pistol+belt

• 2 weeks later...

It took me more time then I intended, but now that I have the belt in my possession I’m adding some more pictures for reference. Note that next to an original WWII USMC Pistol Belt this one is more of a kaki brown color. It also has no markings on the back side and looks pretty close to mint. I’m sure that its fake but I’m wondering if it’s an original WWII belt or not. I’ve included a few pictures with my night cam too.

Any comments are appreciated.

Craig

post-12393-1315610444.jpg

Hi Craig !

Thanks for the nice pictures which are good indeed for future reference on suspect U.S.M.C. marked belts. As for the belt itself it looks original to me. All hardware correct, and some old light oxydization on many eyelets... I just can't explain the total lack of manufacturer's markings. Have you got a look inside the closed end of the belt? Just to see if, for some reason, it has been marked like the old M1912 Mills made were. Did you get also a look in the inside od the mag snap? Is it marked or not? This is not a definitive clue as many snaps were marked and some were not, but... Not to mention that surely this could be not the first time that we have a belt which simply missed the strike in the stamping process...

Fausto

I checked again and found no markings on the inside of the snap or any of the other hardware. Looking at it closly its a pretty nice belt just tampered with.

Thanks