Camillus USMC Engineer Folder

Still-A-Marine

Still-A-Marine

My Camillus USMC shield bone handled Engineer Knife. I believe this would be post war. It has the 3 line Camillus mark.

Bill

post-4347-1309210666.jpg

You didn't mention whether it has brass or steel liners.

In my OPINION this knife was made prior to the end of WW2, in fact possibly as early as late 1944.

That opinion is based on these factors (still need to know what the liners are made from, if steel almost certainly wartime).

1. The three line marking appears on almost all of the Navy and Coast Guard General Utility Knives (Camillus # 14S13) that I have ever seen. These knives are known to have begun to be delivered prior to January 1945.

2. Your knife has the "old" pattern can opener and screwdriver/caplifter. Late war production had gone almost entirely to the newer patterns.

3. By the end of the war the Marines had basically dropped the bone handle knives and were only ordering the newer steel scaled knives (similar to the current stainless 4 blade knife).

4. Your knife appears to have the short shackle (bail / clevice - all these names were used by Camillus) and again by the end of the war most knives were being made with the longer shackle.

Whatever, it is one of my favorite pocketknives and I envy you finding a nice USMC marked one.

Still-A-Marine

Brass liners.

Gary, Thanks for the information. I will note it as being WWII. I was basing it being post WWII on Silvey's article in OKC Knewsletter Oct 2007.

Bill

post-4347-1309213809.jpg

post-4347-1309213897.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Whatever, it is one of my favorite pocketknives and I envy you finding a nice USMC marked one.

Thanks Gary. It was one I spent years looking for. I had the Imperial USMC round shield and a couple of the USMC round shield marked Made In USA. But the Camillus bone USMC was very elusive.

Bill

• 7 months later...

To add to the confusion here's a USN version and a USMC version I picked up today.

I've had the USN version for a while and thought it was broken because the main blade does not close all the way. Well, the USMC knife has the same problem, so I assume it's a design flaw!

2.jpg

Notice the USMC version does not have a bail and it looks it never did:

1.jpg

3.jpg

Only three blades on the USN version:

5.jpg

Note the size differences in the brass liners:

4.jpg

Both have three-line marks (the USA is hidden):

6.jpg

When I said I would love to have one, that was before I knew how much they were being sold for LOL. If I find one at an antique shop out of the blue for a cheap price, then I will grab it, but don't have the cash to spend too much on things now.

Mark

When I said I would love to have one, that was before I knew how much they were being sold for LOL. If I find one at an antique shop out of the blue for a cheap price, then I will grab it, but don't have the cash to spend too much on things now.

Mark

I just bought about 300 knives so I can related to being broke :)

I'm such a "bottom feeder" when it comes to buying things LOL. Working part time and going to school part time...I can buy things, but not too much. So what is a normal price for most people, is outer limits to me right now LOL. When I see someone post things I like, like this USN Knife, or the USN Rain Parka yesterday, a lot of times I fire off a comment saying something like "I'd love to have one of those". Well, I'm not lying...I just don't have the cash to back that statement up LOL. The good side is when I find something I want that I can afford by accident...it is a fun little victory LOL.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a little old now but I thought this might be within the subject even though my knife isn’t a USMC.

I’ve always thought this knife was post WW2 because of the 3-line tang stamp. Now I hear that the 3-line is known to be around before Jan45.

Are there other features of this knife that may help narrow down the appropriate time frame? It’s made from all steel including the bolsters.

8a5ad7c9.jpg51f57bba.jpg04accee2.jpg39873557.jpg

6b8be589.jpge1f510d3.jpg

To add to the confusion here's a USN version and a USMC version I picked up today.

I've had the USN version for a while and thought it was broken because the main blade does not close all the way. Well, the USMC knife has the same problem, so I assume it's a design flaw!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//m...-1328597869.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//m...-1328598151.jpg

I believe that the "design flaw" likely has stemmed from fact that some people insist on using a grinder to sharpen a blade.

The springs appear to be reasonably flush on the pivot end, and unless there is something jamming the blade from fully closing, it looks to me as both examples (esp. the USMC version), were 'exuberantly' sharpened.

Excessive wear, blade-rocker-pivot area, can also cause this; though, these both appear to be 'grinder made'.

I've seen many folders in similar condition.

I know this thread is a little old now but I thought this might be within the subject even though my knife isn’t a USMC.

I’ve always thought this knife was post WW2 because of the 3-line tang stamp. Now I hear that the 3-line is known to be around before Jan45.

Are there other features of this knife that may help narrow down the appropriate time frame? It’s made from all steel including the bolsters.

I would suppose that the steel liners would also help to date it as possible War production-era parts, being as the marking on shield.

Nice knife!

Regards,

Don.