M4A1 Sherman Initial Production

SGM (ret.)

I can't afford to buy and collect the real thing, so here's the best I can do for my collection.

This is a US M4A1 Sherman, early production as it might have appeared in Tunisia, 1942-43. Along with the tank is a US tanker with a 5-gal fuel can and Thompson SMG for personal protection.

Mike

post-626-1192841539.jpg

post-626-1192841559.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Jim, I love the Sherman, too, especially the cast hull A1's. They just have a sorta Art Deco look that says "WWII."

I actually started collecting militaria many years ago because I wanted better uniform and equipment references. Got hooked and now I have two monkeys on my back: modeling military vehicles and collecting militaria. This explains why my collection is maybe a bit broader than some and has some rather esoteric items.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your work is certainly first class. I model 1/72. I like the small scale, but my eyes aren't getting any better so I need to get some things off the shelf.

I like the A1's with the 76mm guns. Another favorite is the Pershing. I keep hoping a good manufacturer like Dragon or Revell will put one out in 1/72.

I really like the new Shermans Dragon is coming out with. I think I have two of each! :lol: This winter will see some completed builds.

Can you please post more of your work?? I love seeing what other people do.

Thanks.

Jim, I'd love to post some more snap shots, but I have very few US subjects in my collection. I will post one more Allied subject, one that I already have some photos archived on my computer. I was playing around with the camera and mostly photographing items in my militaria collection for putting in my catalog later. The model snaps were just goofing off a bit.

The above model is based on the DML Dragon M4A1, but it has the Formations Models resin turret, upper hull and transmission. The suspension units are heavily modified MRC Tamiya M3 Grant parts with the DML road wheels. The tracks are individual link. The figures are DML with the walking guy sporting a Hornet head. Most of the markings are stenciled, the exceptions being the small numeral "2" and the name above the tracks which are generic dry transfers.

The next model is the old MRC Tamiya GAZ 67B. It and the figures are built "out of the box" as a "decompression project" and to keep up my finishing and painting skills. It's one of those subjects that have very little published reference work and the kit is pretty nice as is, so I left it alone. The markings are either stenciled or hand-painted. It also shows that the "Big T" has been pressing out quality kits for decades. I believe the GAZ 67B was released in the early '70s.

The small scales are getting some attention from the manufactuers now, especially 1/48. Even so, I've seen some 1/72 and 1/76 scale projects that are simply remarkable.

Anyways, enjoy and post some of your work for us.

Mike

post-626-1192972837.jpg

post-626-1192972873.jpg

post-626-1192972892.jpg

Mike,

Again, that is some outstanding work. I'm afraid I'm not quite up to your speed. I really need to get back at it. I will see if I can dig up some old photos or take some new ones when the weather clears up a bit.

I will say you have encouraged me to clean up the bench a little and have some fun. These two photos show how lazy I've been. pinch.gif

post-78-1192982111.jpg

Looks like you'll be busy for a while, Jim! :lol:

Here are a few models left from my days as modelmaker.

Last project was a Greek Strategos.

ModelKits1.jpg

ModelKits.jpg

I have an 88 in a box somewhere too.

And the museum in Clervaux (Luxembourg) has a few of my models as well (a donation from my part).

Erwin

SGM, I am most impressed with your modeling ability. I have no talent when it comes to that sort of thing. But there is one thing bothers me about the guy carrying the Thompson. The manner in which he's holding the gun isn't practical. The hand would tire quickly carrying it that way. A more natural position would be to cup the hand under the trigger guard. I own an original M1928A1, and I tried it before I said something. Just my 2 cents worth.

Robin,

Sometimes you have to go with what is provided in the kit. If you are going to scratch build, you also have to decide if the result is worth the effort.

Erwin,

How about some shots of the "Cobra King". One of my favorite photos of the war (of a Sherman at least) is of Cobra King.

post-78-1193060532.jpg

It's not as fine as Mike's Sherman, but here's mine.

I constructed and painted it several years ago (never managed to get the uniforms right at that time blushing.gif ).

CobraKing1.jpg

CobraKing.jpg

Erwin

robinb,

You're right about the carry position of the Thompson, I believe they weigh about 11 lbs, but as Jim said, sometimes it's easier to go with what the kit provides. That particular figure came with an M3 Grease Gun (held in the same position), but I wanted the earlier Thompson because I wanted to model him as a companion to the Tunisian Sherman. His left hand was molded in the downward open position, and I was too lazy to change him.

(I confess all before a jury of my peers and will now do one hundred up-pushes in the People's Pond...)

Jim,

Your workbench is so much cleaner than mine; I wouldn't even think about posting a picture of mine in public. But, that big pile of un-built kits does look familiar. I think every model builder I know has a similiar pile.

Jeeper704,

I'm with Jim, love the models. Maybe we need a sub-forum here to give us an outlet. (Although I have shamefully few US subjects.)

Mike

Jim, that collection of yours reminds me of a similar pile of unbuilts stashed in my closet. I don't think I can fit any more kits in there yet I find myself compulsively buying more! I'll never get them all built in my lifetime. But I sure like admiring the stacks of boxes!

here's to the glue sniffers!

Meatcan,

This is a very real dilemma!! ermm.gif

With retirement coming up, I may be able to build them all, but like you, I have to buy the new ones coming along. Especially the Shermans. In 1/72 scale, the technology (slide molds) have put these small scale models on a footing with the larger scales.

Then there is the issue of how long I can build in this scale?? I have to remind myself of the old guys that still tie fishing flies!! :lol: And then there is storage??? Having a wife, well..... nuff said. pinch.gif

I think what I may do is create project piles. I have become a real Shermaoholic, so may start sorting out duplicates of German armor. I think that will be a good project for this winter. I may also sort out some of the reference stuff for the Kraut armor too.

Oh well...... I think I'll go to the hobby shop today. ;)

:lol:

I know the feeling, Jim.

I have been thinking of getting an M-18 TD to build and put next to the Sherman.

But then the ball goes rolling; I will like to have an M-10, then M-36, etc. :blink::D

Erwin

craig_pickrall
I'm with Jim, love the models. Maybe we need a sub-forum here to give us an outlet. (Although I have shamefully few US subjects.)

Mike

I passed this suggestion on to the other 3 administrators and we are all in agreement. Now we need to wait for ADMIN to have some time to create the section. When we last discussed it we said it would be in the MEMBER Section but we will wait for the final on that.

Craig, sounds good. Thanks. Here's hoping there's enough interest to make it worth the effort.

Mike

Well, it would encourage me to get off my duff and do something.

BTW Sarge, I did clean out the closet and I'm in the process of cleaning up the bench as we speak. :D

Let me ask the first question ........ What is a good color to paint an Abrams in the desert color currently used? I like to use acrylics if I can.

Thanks!

Jim,

For modern US Armor, Tamiya XF-57 Buff is the color that most of my modern armor friends start with, although some few have complained that the color varies quite widely according to lots or batches. As for myself, I personally seen pretty wide variations in the prototypes parked in the motor pool, with some vehicles distinctly "pinkish" in color and others very "yellow." So, I don't think any small variations in the manufacturer's lots is a major problem.

Then, if you throw in the "scale color" considerations, as long as you have the right color in hue, tone will lighten as the scale gets smaller. The theory is that two colors that are exactly the same but seen over different distances will actually appear as two different colors. The more distant example will appear lighter, and the more distant it is, the lighter it will be. So minor variations become even less of an issue if you hold to this method.

So, for small scale armor (1/76 - 1/72), the general concensus is to mix (usually) white with the base color at ratios of up to 20-30%. The caution is not to let the white "gray-out" the color. So, it might be necesary to use, for example, a yellow ochre color when toning down OD green. If you go this route, with the Tamiya Buff, I think you're OK to use flat white, but the exact ratios are really up to the individual. You might also try Tamiya Flat Earth with the Buff around the suspension, etc.

On my Sherman M4A1 above, I mixed the Tamiya OD with Tamiya Desert Yellow at a ratio of about 80:20 OD:Desert Yellow. But, then again, I started with straight OD and sprayed the lighter color on top of that.

Some guys are really wrapped around the axel when it comes to exact color matches, but unless you're painting a prototype, I think you're better off using your judgement in achieving results that look realistic to your eye.

The "prototype color" discussion doesn't even begin to include the effets of "scale lighting" either, which is why, for example, it's necessary to paint "shadows" and "highlights" on figure models. The same effect for the same reasons is achieved by most armor modelers when they use washes and dry brushing. You're not only adding weathering and wear effects, you're compensating for the "scale lighting" effect.

In the end, you have to use a combination of "scale color" and "scale lighting" to acheive the most realistic finishes on armor models. (IMHO)

Hope this helps,

Mike

SGM - it's quite refreshing to hear a talented modeler such as yourself discuss color preferences. I am constantly amazed at how completely anal some builders get about selecting the "right" color. As if there is only one true color! Your comments nailed it very nicely. I generally use FS color guides as a starting point and mix up my batch. I prefer acrylics, mostly since I'm too cheap to pay the big bucks for little containers of Tamiya or MM paints! I find I can readily mix up a batch to closely approximate any armor color whether I'm building German, US, or Russian armor. It looks good to me when I'm done and that's what matters most to me.

I've enjoyed seeing your photos and reading your posts. You do fine work!

Mike,

Thanks for that great reply..... it was excellent. Here is a link to a great modelling forum originating from a guy in Australia, but of course has an international community like here. Great people like here and you can show your "other" projects. Let me know what you think.

http://www.escalemodels.com/forums/index.php?act=home

Meatcan,

What you say is so true. It's sort of like watching a war movie with a uniform or medal collector...... Nothing is ever right. Sort of ruins the movie. :)