Helmet Bails

possum

Just got a couple of questions here about fixed bails on M1 (and M2) helmets.

Went to get a damaged front seam helmet converted to a fixed bail for reenacting, and was informed that the correct spot welding can only be done on bare metal. This is not a problem as I always clean the inside of helmets to enable this anyway. However, I was also told the area outside of the helmet where the bails would be would also need to be bare metal (if you see what I mean!).

Is this the case? If so, I will have to strip all my helmets in the future and get them welded before I repaint and cork them. All info apprecitated.

Somwhat related, anyone know where I can get some really good repro fixed and d bails from? How hard is it to make your own?

Many thanks,

Posum

...I was also told the area outside of the helmet where the bails would be would also need to be bare metal (if you see what I mean!).

Is this the case?...

To answer your question, yes, you have to have bare metal on the outside of the helmet also. Basic welding 101, all metal surfaces must be clean of paint, rust and other contaminents to make a proper electrical contact to perform a proper spot weld.

To answer your question, yes, you have to have bare metal on the outside of the helmet also. Basic welding 101, all metal surfaces must be clean of paint, rust and other contaminents to make a proper electrical contact to perform a proper spot weld.

Thanks bugme, just the info I needed.

Cheers Ian for the links. Hopefully I'll be able to get some soon! Also cheaper than I have seen elsewhere, which is nice :D

Yes, JMurray is good (handsdown best of the mainstream. Very few complaints about my M2 I got a couple years back), but if you know where to look, there's better.

Think what Glen means is the D Bails should be plain steel, also slightly thinnner than regular fixed bails. Stainless for fixed bails is correct though. It's what's on all my originals, lol.