Anyone learned of the fate of any of WWII Pacific islands

devildog34

Not to seem insensitive to the increasing human tragedy of recent events in Japan, but has anyone learned of the impact the recent tsunami had on these sacred grounds especially the home islands of Okinawa and Iwo? I'm also curious how Karibak (betio) managed given it's incredibly flat terrain and incredibly shallow inlet which at times is able to be traversed by wading from one island to the next.

S/F

Kevin

Not to seem insensitive to the increasing human tragedy of recent events in Japan, but has anyone learned of the impact the recent tsunami had on these sacred grounds especially the home islands of Okinawa and Iwo? I'm also curious how Karibak (betio) managed given it's incredibly flat terrain and incredibly shallow inlet which at times is able to be traversed by wading from one island to the next.

S/F

Kevin

I had searched several days ago for news on Pacific Islands and found nothing other than that Guam and Saipan had no problems.

teufelhunde.ret

Representative in the Solomon Islands Joe Weber said "The water is reported to have reached 50 meters inland and in one village, a house was destroyed and several canoes washed into the sea."

I have a friend with the US Maritime Service at Saipan. I talked with him yesterday. Things are ok there from what he told me.