US Navy Deck Jackets & Parkas

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

This week I opened up a white duffel bag from a retired Navy officer's estate and found three WWII vintage USN deck jackets (well actually one is a deck parka) so I figured it must be time for a deck jacket thread :)

This is a US Navy deck jacket apparently from a 1939 contract. This blue jacket has a corded outer shell, a light blanket type Melton wool lining, knit cuffs for the collar, sleeves and waist and a Talon zipper. There is also reportedly a waterproof material sandwiched between the outer shell and the lining. In 1942, according to one source, they started making these with USN stamped on the back. In 1943 they came out with a new style, very similar to this but with buckles and a flap to provide a weathertight closure instead of just having the exposed zipper of the style shown here. Also note that the contract number is just that: a number, with no NXsx or other letters before it. This also helps ID it as a pre or early WWII item.

dj1939.jpg

dj1939lining.jpg

dj1939back.jpg

dj1939label.jpg

Bob Hudson

This is a deck jacket made under a 1944 contract. It is sometimes called an "N-1" jacket although that N-1 designation did not appear on the labels until after WWII. It has an alpaca fur lining and knit cuffs. Is is longer than previous deck jackets and has a draw string to help close the bottom. These were made in blue for a short time.

n1jacketC.jpg

n1jacketCinside.jpg

n1jacketCback.jpg

n1jacketlabel.jpg

Ooooo! Great find.

The blue cloth of the jackets is called jungle cloth.

The N-1 Jacket was deginated N-1 when it was developed (the green stuff came out in 1943). They began the whole N-designation with 1 being the first version of the item, 2 being the next, ect. So what you have is a lot of items being labeled as N-1. Can be confusing.

This is how it read:

SPC Board 5MAY43

Clothing Nomenclature - Use system of Letter-number, N=Navy, number would indicate sequence of that article issued, i.e. 1 = first article issued of that particular item, to be followed by later articles which would be designated N-2, N-4, etc. It was suggested that these identifications numbers should be put into the labels of the garments and be used in the contracts.

SPC is the Special Clothing Board. While recommended that N-1 be added to the labels of the Garments, the only ones I've seen with them are commecial models. While other things like boots were stamped N-1 or N-2.

Charlie

thnaks for that info charlie and have to agree oooo blue jacket..wanted one for many moons!

I thought I would add the bib trousers to complement the jackets

post-56-1178331242.jpg

contract tag

post-56-1178331260.jpg

N-1 bib trousers

post-56-1178331311.jpg

contract tag

post-56-1178331345.jpg

this parka is made from the same material as last parka but a visor has been added to hood

post-56-1178331845.jpg

cuff adjustment

post-56-1178331862.jpg

stamped contract data

post-56-1178331879.jpg

Bob Hudson

Here's the Navy's alpaca lined hooded parka. This has what I believe is a 1944 contract number. It is belted and has just three pockets:

alpacaparkafront.jpg

• 2 years later...

Cool: ASDO was the Assistant Squadron Duty Officer and that duty was filled by a 1st or 2nd class enlisted petty officer.

That squadron t was headquartered at the former NAS Miramar in San Diego, which is now MCAS Miramar.

VFP-63 was a photo recon squadron and these tibbits about it come from http://www.vfp62.com/pilots_logbook.html :

"The first POW of the conflict was not Alvarez, but Chuck Klusman from VFP-63. Shot down over Laos and spent about three months in the Laotian Hilton. Got tired of being on vacation and escaped in September of 1964. I was SDO at Miramar when we got word that he was out.

VFP-63 flew more combat sorties then any F8 squadron in the Navy. Then any F4 squadron in the Navy. Then any A3, A4, A5, A6, or A7 squadron in the navy.

With these sorties, come the losses. If you go out to the golf course at Miramar, there are 12 plaques that identify pilots from VFP-63 that did not return. Including 3/4 ths of one particular detachment."

There is also an "overcoat" (again, a hooded parka) version of the O.D. deck jacket, which seem to be even harder to come by than the jackets. I soon as I can get some shots developed, I'll put 'em up. Someone'll probably beat me to it, though, because I know I'm not the only one who has them... ;)

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor
'Flage Guy said:
There is also an "overcoat" (again, a hooded parka) version of the O.D. deck jacket, which seem to be even harder to come by than the jackets. I soon as I can get some shots developed, I'll put 'em up. Someone'll probably beat me to it, though, because I know I'm not the only one who has them... ;)

Since no one else on the boards has posted the longer hooded parka version, here ya go.....

From my collection - 1945 USN Issue

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

Details - button tail flap, wind sleeve, contract number

006.jpg

013.jpg

010.jpg

• 5 months later...

This was a nice surprise this morning, one of the early WWII US Navy blue deck jackets with the hook fasteners. The Navy had a similar jacket with a zipper but it did not offer enough protection so they came up with this design with the wind flap and hooks. Before long though they went OD jackets apparently so sailors on beach landings would not be mistake for Germans wearing blue-grey.

This one survived in really outstanding condition: there a couple of small moths holes in the knits cuffs (on the back of the waist cuff and on each sleeve cuff) but most WWII items I find with knit cuffs seem much, much worse. The shell has some minor soiling that looks like it will brush off when I get home, bug overall it's like new.

These are photos taken with my Palm Pre phone:

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

deck4.jpg

I got home, brushed it off with the brass lint brush and there does not appear to be a spot, stain, soiling or other flaw in the shell and lining: it looks like it has never been worn. If it was for the moth nips on the one sleeve cuff and the waist cuff, I'd have to call this one mint condition: amazing for a 67-year-old deck jacket.

6.jpg

5.jpg

In looking around, including in a previous post in this thread, it has been said that these blue deck jackets with the clips/hook fasteners came out in 1943, however this one has a contract number that dates to October or November of 1942, so perhaps early 43 was when the first ones were actually issued, but the design dates to 1942. We

have a reference thread on Navy contract numbers at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1590

7.jpg

I wonder how many of those I've passed by, thinking they were a '50s or '60s piece...

Looks almost identical to the blue civilian "Tanker" jackets we used to wear during the '60s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 1st post here actually.

I was wondering if you guys could possibly help me date my N-1?

The contract no. is N140-62236s-301820 or D

From what i've read the 140 series seems to be in production from WWII and on, judging by the number i think it could be from 1945, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

The tag further says pile 50% alpaca and 50% wool and back 100% cotton, and it has a Waldes zipper.

Hello, 1st post here actually.

I was wondering if you guys could possibly help me date my N-1?

The contract no. is N140-62236s-301820 or D

From what i've read the 140 series seems to be in production from WWII and on, judging by the number i think it could be from 1945, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

The tag further says pile 50% alpaca and 50% wool and back 100% cotton, and it has a Waldes zipper.

It is darn near impossible to pin down a date on contracts beginning with "N140." They did start after WWII, but then they were used for a long time afterwards. For example I found a reference in a US government document showing on from 1955: N140-62236S-54294B, DATED APRIL 14, 1955.