Is this a US cap?

Nkomo

duarte1223

This is a US veterans association cap for the 40 and 8 (The Society of Forty Men and Eight Horses). The 40 and 8 were named after some French train cars that held either 40 men or 8 horses, and were used to send men to or from the front lines during WW1, if I remember correctly.

Adam

EDIT: Here's the website: http://fortyandeight.org/

From the site:

The Forty & Eight was formed in 1920 by American Legionnaires as an honor society and from its earliest days it has been committed to charitable aims. Membership is by invitation for members of the American Legion who have shown exemplary service. All Forty & Eight members are thus veterans of congressionally recognized wartime periods via their Legion membership.

The Forty & Eight’s titles and symbols reflect its First World War origins. American servicemen in France were transported to the battle front on narrow gauge French railroads (Chemin de Fer) inside boxcars (Voitures) that were half the size of American boxcars. Each French boxcar was stenciled with a “40/8”, denoting its capacity to hold either forty men or eight horses. This ignominious and uncomfortable mode of transportation was familiar to all who traveled from the coast to the trenches; a common small misery among American soldiers who thereafter found “40/8” a lighthearted symbol of the deeper service, sacrifice and unspoken horrors of war that truly bind those who have borne the battle.

duarte1223

Also, to one of the Uniform Moderators, I think this should be moved to the headgear section.

Also, to one of the Uniform Moderators, I think this should be moved to the headgear section.

I"m sorry. The only reason I stuck this here was becasue the Uniforms section said headgear could be posted in this part.

duarte1223
Thanks for the quick reply!

Arch

No problem! One of my first items in my collection that didn't come from my Grandpa was a 40 and 8 hat I found at the local flea market, this one brings back memories!

We have a headgear forum? I know we have a helmet and protective gear forum but was unaware of a headgear forum.

duarte1223
We have a headgear forum? I know we have a helmet and protective gear forum but was unaware of a headgear forum.

Woops! I forgot which forum I was on!

Sorry guys!

craig_pickrall

On this forum it was intended that headgear would go with uniforms. The exception is helmets and ballistic protection devices (IE: flak jackets).

It is also agreed that since this is not military headgear but rather a veteran organization item that it is a better fit in the VET SECT.