MILDEW ON UNIFORMS

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

I was pulling some WWII uniforms out the other day and was dissapointed that I found several with white mildew on them. I was able to wipe it off with a dry lint-free rag.

My collection room is kept at 78 degrees with a window A/C Heater combo unit and I have a ceiling fan running constantly. The Rh is kept right at 50%. There are black-out blinds on the two windows in the room.

The conditions of my room are what I have been taught as optimal from the many courses I have taken in museum studies.

Does anyone know what I should do to remediate this problem. Should I let natural light into the room?

My collection room is kept at 78 degrees with a window A/C Heater combo unit and I have a ceiling fan running constantly. The Rh is kept right at 50%.

That combination of temp and humidity sounded a little high to me so I looked up some recommendations.

This is from http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/2T...cGuidelines.php

"Authorities disagree on the ideal temperature and relative humidity for library and archival materials. A frequent recommendation is a stable temperature no higher than 70°F and a stable relative humidity between a minimum of 30% and a maximum of 50%. Research indicates that relative humidities at the lower end of this range are preferable since deterioration then progresses at a slower rate. In general, the lower the temperature the better."

Specific to textiles, the Univ. of Nebraska says,

"Moist air, warmth, and lack of air circulation encourage mold growth that can stain fibers and cause deterioration. Inspect textiles regularly for mildew. Mold can begin to grow at humidity levels of 60 percent and above. A relative humidity of approximately 50 percent and temperatures of 60°F to 70°F are recommended. Avoid extreme fluctuations of humidity and temperature levels, such as exist in attics and most basements."

• 1 year later...
I recently received a grouping of WW2 uniform items that smell like mildew and appear to have light mildew stains. Any suggestions or ideas about the best treatment and removal options? Thanks.

Take them to the dry cleaners and have them cleaned. That's about the only way to guarantee you'll stop the mildew damage. I've done it to several Chief and early Navy groups and all of them have come out beautifully.

Your other choice is to air the items out in fresh air for a couple weeks...but this time of year that's tough to do, unless you live in a really dry (and warm) place.

Dave

Sgt Saunders

Here's an idea that I've used that works.

All tho it's a personal choice, I feel it's the best.

This is what professionals use for remediation of

mold, smoke damage and the like. If you chose

to go this path I would still have it dry cleaned to

remove any dead mold spores as it will kill them

but not physically remove them. Study the sight carefully

and read it all then decide. It really is amazing. I have friends

that use the smaller ones to deodorize there hunting clothes

before a hunt. It also takes the cigarette small out of anything.

My secretary had her car stolen last year and when it was found

a crack head was living it it. She was beside her self. After 2 bottles

of Fabreeze it still stunk to the high heavens. I lent her my generator

and she gave it a full blast for 5 hours. Then she let it air out for

the same amount of time and odor gone! I will admit she was a little

skeptical at first but the smile on her face when she brought said it all.

She still has no problems a year later. True story.

Enough said, check it out.

As always just my 2c.

http://www.jenesco.com/index.html

You can remove mildew by putting rubbing alcohol on a sponge and wiping the affected area down. Don't saturate the sponge or the uniform rump a little goes a long ways, but you'll see INSTANT results.

Oh yeah, keep cleaning the sponge or you'll just smear the black gunk around.

Allan