Was there a DUI for the USAAF 8th Bomber command

AZPhil

Hello All,

I think the 8th AF had the 8 ball with wings for their DUI.

Did there predecessor the "8th Bomber Command" have a DUI they wore?

If so, does anyone have a pic of it?

Thanks In Advance

Semper Fi

Phil

ASMIC does not have a cataloged DUI for 8th Bomber Command that I could find. I would highly recommend joining if you have an interest in DUI or patches.

I have an interest in the USAAF 8th Air Force and the 8th Bomber Command. My Uncle served them both and I'm am putting a display of uniform and flight gear together to honor him. If there is something I can add to my current collection in connection with his service I wish to do so.

Thank you for your reply and taking time to look for me.

Semper Fi

Phil

No known insignia has turned up for 8th Bomber Cmd. The patch for the 8th AF has a numeral 8, not an eightball, with wings and a red centered star. There are patch type DIs for 8th AF. Depending on what sub unit of the 8th BC/AF your uncle served with, there may have been an insignia for that unit, e.g. bomb Squadron, air base security unit, etc.

He started in January of 43 as the 6th Services Squadron at Grafton Underwood station #106 in England. The when the 384th Bomb Group was assigned to that airfield on June of 43, He volunteer for flight duty and became a B-17 Gunner/Togglier/Top Turret/ waist Gunner then he finally was the tail gunner on the B-17 "Mrs Geezil", assigned to the 384th BG 545th Bg. He was shot down on April13th 1944 Schweinfurt Mission and became a guest of the third Reich at Stalag 17B for the duration. I have the patches. I know the 8th AF and what it looks like. I have several uniforms. Sorry if my 8 ball with wings didn't hit the funny bone.

I do know about their DUI. I have seen the 8th AF DUI, But I don't know if the 8th Bomber Command had or wore some type of DUI on their uniform.

Hence my question.

Thank you for the reply.

Semper Fi

Phil

Ok, with the additional information I do not beleive that the 384th BG had a DUI, but I did see that they have a very neat theater made scroll that reads "keep the show on the road" which was their moto. Ill keep an eye out for a picture of one to share with you because I haven't yet.

I know about the 384th Bomb Group. I am a member and assisted on there web site. I have the patches for them. What I am looking to see is if their predecessor the 8th Bomber Command had a DUI?

I do appreciate your assistance,

What I wanted to know was what if anything did the members of the 8th Bomber command wear on their uniform as far as a DUI is concerned.

Semper Fi

Phil

Not every unit in the Army wore DIs during WW II, authorized or not. According to both Massaro and Capistrano, there is no known DI for the VIII Bomber Command.

Thank you Sir for that answer. I am not very familiar with these and do appreciate you taking the time to look for me. and sharing that information and giving me a definitive answer to my question.

Thank you to ALL that assisted in this matter. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care

Semper Fi

Phil

For your Reference Phil, this is a Patch Type Crest, tredhed was mentioning, a piece of insignia copying the cloth shoulder patch in metal and enamel in the manner of the regimental and or battalion and or service schools and worn in the spots a DUI would of been worn. Some will be U.S. Made, some Foreign made, notably English, and Post War German and or Japanese mainly. Here's one for the 8th Air Force, U.S. Made, sold a long time ago of Flying Tigers Antiques, a original WWII type, one see's these PTC all the time on Ebay, but many times they are repro, modern and or vet pieces.

aaf8afptchstylediltwwiiobv.jpgaaf8afptchstylediltwwiirev.jpg

Thank you Patches,

I have seen them on ebay, These are not something I've gotten into, But do like the way they look!!

So when was this one worn/authorized to wear?

Thank you for the information about these..

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you Patches,

I have seen them on ebay, These are not something I've gotten into, But do like the way they look!!

So when was this one worn/authorized to wear?

Thank you for the information about these..

Semper Fi

Phil

From the late 30s into the 60s, see topic below, go though it, along the way you'll see several U.S. Army Air Corps and U.S. Air Force Patch Type Crests being worn.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171731-post-the-patch-type-crest-being-worn/

WOW Patches, That was an fantasic thread you started. I loved it, Even though I was there to look for AAF, The rest just had me going page by page , Pic by Pic. Which I have to say there were some amazing photo's which made this a excellent visiual reference. I saved about 10 pic's out of the 13 pages. It also peaked my interest in the CBI PTC's ( I was about to ask what PTC meant but found the answer in the following post) . My Aunt was a WAC in the CBI attached to the USAAF, It made me wonder if I need to add that to her uniform I have. They were all there. It also had me wondering if the 8th Bomber Command would have worn the AAF GHQ DUI/PTC. I'll dig more on that one. I guess I need to find some pic's of personnel attached to those units and see if they are wearing the " Army Air Corp Aircraft marking" DUI.or the AAF GHQ's

This was really helpful, I had 2 sticky pads with notes as I went through that one.

Thank You It was a great read!

Semper Fi

Phil

Collectors should remember that not all Army organizations had DUIs authorized for them to wear. The socalled "patch type" DUIs sometimes worn were, for the most part, not authorized. Only a few units had the patch types as Army authorized insignia. Soldier's desires to fill that lower lapel or, for officer's, the shoulder loops, and caps drove the market for unauthorized DUIs.

WOW Patches, That was an fantasic thread you started. I loved it, Even though I was there to look for AAF, The rest just had me going page by page , Pic by Pic. Which I have to say there were some amazing photo's which made this a excellent visiual reference. I saved about 10 pic's out of the 13 pages. It also peaked my interest in the CBI PTC's ( I was about to ask what PTC meant but found the answer in the following post) . My Aunt was a WAC in the CBI attached to the USAAF, It made me wonder if I need to add that to her uniform I have. They were all there. It also had me wondering if the 8th Bomber Command would have worn the AAF GHQ DUI/PTC. I'll dig more on that one. I guess I need to find some pic's of personnel attached to those units and see if they are wearing the " Army Air Corp Aircraft marking" DUI.or the AAF GHQ's

This was really helpful, I had 2 sticky pads with notes as I went through that one.

Thank You It was a great read!

Semper Fi

Phil

Praise Indeed from a Marine no less on Army Insignia :D

Commendations of course for all the interested members who have contributed their collections or Foto Finds, on this ongoing topic.

General Apathy

Collectors should remember that not all Army organizations had DUIs authorized for them to wear. The socalled "patch type" DUIs sometimes worn were, for the most part, not authorized. Only a few units had the patch types as Army authorized insignia. Soldier's desires to fill that lower lapel or, for officer's, the shoulder loops, and caps drove the market for unauthorized DUIs.

Hi Phil, I agree with Patches and atb about some insignia not being approved or authorised, it's extremely rare to see WWII USAAF officers and / or enlisted men wearing insignia other than the wing & prop insignia, officers or disc enlisted mens versions.

Here's a pair of enamelled 8th Airforce discs from the estate of a veteran possibly private purchase, being still on the card it's debatable as to whether he ever wore them or maybe infrequently if he did.

lewis

.post-344-0-55485600-1575590301_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Gent's and thank you Lewis for chiming in with that information and showing those Beautiful 8 Ball's.

That set in the Gemsco box just makes that even more appealing to the eye's..

I hope you don't mind if I save that image??

Semper Fi

Phil

General Apathy

Thanks again Gent's and thank you Lewis for chiming in with that information and showing those Beautiful 8 Ball's.

That set in the Gemsco box just makes that even more appealing to the eye's..

I hope you don't mind if I save that image??

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks, please help yourself to the image, they are a particularly nice set, very slightly domed and the enamel is nice as well. I believe about six people have downloaded it, it's fun sharing photo's or information with fellow collectors.

regards lewis.