• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thought perhaps the medal collectors out there might like to see closeups of the 1931 NAVY CROSS with original ribbon bar as awarded to Col. Archer and shown on the USMC Navy Cross Nicaragua thread posted previously. As shown below, it appears to be what is referred to as the "Black Widow" type from the early WWII era but it is not.

Creat0001A.JPG Creat0001.JPG

Below are three different period Navy Crosses for comparison.

Navy_Cross_Comp_OBV.JPG
Navy_Cross_Comp_REV.JPG

On the viewer's left is a 1943 award of a so-called "Black Widow" type cross. It is of one-piece construction, finished in gun-metal black on all metal parts. Note the full-wrap brooch with ball-type lock, as manufactured by the U.S. Mint under Navy contact. In 1944, the cross was awarded in a bronze finish (not shown).

In the middle is Col. Archer's 1931 award, which is clearly transitional. It has a U.S. Mint split brooch with ball-type lock and is of three-piece construction, i.e. both disks are manufactured separately and braised to the obverse & reverse of the cross, just like it's WWI original counterpart, but it is finished in a medium dark bronze finish on all metal parts. Not too many of these "between the wars" Crosses are known as the award numbers were few.

On the right is the first type WWI Cross as awarded to Capt. Wass USMC in 1920. It is of three-piece construction and finished in a pleasing bronze finish, as is the split brooch. However, note that this production, manufactured by Bailey, Banks and Biddle of Philadephia, has an open catch. The ribbon is of the original production with a narrow 1/8th inch white center stripe. Unfortunately it is deteriorating which is a common problem for this early silk ribbon. The ribbons on the earlier Crosses are Navy Blue, appearing almost black. The later ones are ribboned with a slightly lighter blue color.

Please feel free to ask any questions.
Bobgee

#2 dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina
  • Members
    • Member ID: 573
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for posting such great medals for us. Its very helpful to see them side by side for comparison. Do you know why the NC made their ribbons one and a half inches wide? I dont believe a SS PH or DSC of the same vintage were made that way.

#3 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for posting such great medals for us. Its very helpful to see them side by side for comparison. Do you know why the NC made their ribbons one and a half inches wide? I dont believe a SS PH or DSC of the same vintage were made that way.

Sorry, I don't know specifically. I've got to assume that the Navy Dept specified it at the time. Perhaps more specific info is hidden away in a reference. I'll keep my eye out. Or, maybe a Forum member can answer the question?
Thanks....Bobgee

#4 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,633
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Bob thank you for the information.....learned my thing for today....

#5 Navy Dan

Navy Dan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,552
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

Bob,
Thanks for posting your Navy Cross photos .Here are 2 from my collection the left one is the early one and the right is from VN.
To add to the thread the early one has its issues with the ribbon but I'm leaving it in its original shape.
Thanks Dan

Attached Images

• MVC_024S.JPG
  • MVC_025S.JPG

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:56 AM

Bob, thank you for sharing these period original medals - excellent visual reference for the forum. Re the "deteriorating which is a common problem for this early silk ribbon" - are there any methods by which this can be stopped and or controlled? s/f Darrell

#7 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,422
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Bob, Thanks for the education - I love these NC's as much if not more than the DSC's. When I started acquiring WW1 Navy Cross groupings, I was unaware that there were three different criteria in which one could receive the NC. - I'm sure you know that all were not awarded for valor. My Navy Cross group to Roben was awarded for Merit while a squadron commander in the First Marine Aviation Forces. He was however cited for valor (and wounded) in Haiti. When purchasing a NC, one should determine what his citation reads as it plays a real part in determining value. The history of this award is a fun study!

Best, Dennis

By the way, - You have some wonderful items in your collection.

#8 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

Bob, Thanks for the education - I love these NC's as much if not more than the DSC's. When I started acquiring WW1 Navy Cross groupings, I was unaware that there were three different criteria in which one could receive the NC. - I'm sure you know that all were not awarded for valor. My Navy Cross group to Roben was awarded for Merit while a squadron commander in the First Marine Aviation Forces. He was however cited for valor (and wounded) in Haiti. When purchasing a NC, one should determine what his citation reads as it plays a real part in determining value. The history of this award is a fun study!

Best, Dennis

By the way, - You have some wonderful items in your collection.

Thanks, Dennis. Check out this link for Col. Archer's medals. You may have missed his Navy Cross for Professionalism in Nicaragua.
Semper Fi......Bobgee

http://www.usmilitar...mp;#entry233917

Edited by bobgee, 01 December 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#9 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,422
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thanks, Dennis. Check out this link for Col. Archer's medals. You may have missed his Navy Cross for Professionalism in Nicaragua.
Semper Fi......Bobgee

http://www.usmilitar...mp;#entry233917

Bob,

I did miss this link! - Your "pile" makes one quite humble. Just incredible! Thank you -

Dennis

#10 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 387
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

Sorry, I don't know specifically. I've got to assume that the Navy Dept specified it at the time. Perhaps more specific info is hidden away in a reference. I'll keep my eye out. Or, maybe a Forum member can answer the question?
Thanks....Bobgee

I do not know if i can reproduce this or not OMSA book. However, I will for the sake of education and for educational purpose only. This OMSA book has been in my possesion for sometime. 1994. It is 1-9
I hope this helps this thread BOB.
4starchris

Attached Images

• Omsa_navy_cross_1.JPG

#11 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

Nc_2_1_2.jpg

2-9

#12 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

nc_3_1_2_3_4.jpg

#13 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

nc_3_1_2_3_4.ajpg.jpg

4-9

#14 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

nc_5_1_1.jpg

5-9

#15 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

nc_5_1_1a.jpg

5-9a

#16 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

nc_6_1_1.jpg

6-9

#17 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

nc_6_1_1a.jpg

6-9a

#18 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

nc_7_1_1.jpg

7-9

#19 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

nc_7_1_1a.jpg

7-9a

#20 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

nc_8_1_1.jpg

8-9

#21 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

nc_8_1_1a.jpg

8-9a

#22 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

nc_9_1_1.jpg

9-9

#23 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

nc_9_1_1a.jpg

9-9a

I hope this helps. I had to divide some of the page to be ablt to upload them.
Bob thanks for letting me post on the thread.
4starchris

#24 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

#25 alef_bet

alef_bet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,376
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

Please feel free to ask any questions.
Bobgee

Can you make pictures of rim of col. Archer's NX ?
Thank you !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users