WWI Bolo and USMC Bolo

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

I picked these up today and was trying to find a value based on condition...

the first is a USMC bolo ( I think), no sheath/scabbard

the second is a WWI Bolo (I think) with the wrond scabbard??? It fits but the scabbard has tab that prevents the knife from going in all the way...

Any idea on value?

post-155518-0-62054600-1440290899.jpg

post-155518-0-11546600-1440290906.jpg

I think that is one of the correct scabbards for that bolo. Doesn't the knife fit in the scabbard fine one way bun not the other. One side of the crossguard is longer than the other. I have that combo. I'll have to take a look. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong knife.

The metal scabbard is correct for the Model 1917. The leather tab should just move out of the way. OK, are you talking about the leather tap that has the belt hook, or is there a tab inside the scabbard that is causing the problem?

Marv

phantomfixer

these pics might help idemtify the problem....so I am still thinking not the correct sheath

....any idea of value for the two???

post-155518-0-33540200-1440332355.jpg

post-155518-0-27605500-1440332361.jpg

I do have a question for the group. I've only seen these metal sheaths marked "LF&C". I remember that Cole's points out that many crates containing 200 individually wrapped sheaths have been uncovered.

Is there any provenance to say that at least some of these sheaths were intended as replacements for the earlier canvas/leather sheath? I'm wondering if this metal sheath could be considered as a correct match to the Springfield and Plumb versions of the 1910 bolo. WWI is outside my usual area of interest.

sactroop- The M1910 scabbards are seen issued w/ all the various makers, with, or w/o the retainer hook. Can't imagine why the metal LF&Cs would not have been used as replacements. I have three of the metal scabbards, 2 are mint, still in the wrapper, and the third, came with a Plumb M1917 Bolo. Who knows? One thing is true, the way the scabbards were packed in the boxes, they all have the same little dent in the lower part of the scabbard. That is a good verification of authenticity. SKIP

The following information is from Frank Trzaska, Knife Knotes 10:

We can note the writing on the side of the packing crate to find the Nomenclature, Bolo Scabbards, Model, 1918 and the fact that Experimental is written on them just as shown in the Cole books. Inside the crate when opened we can find the packing slip put there in 1918 by the LF&C worker and or Ordnance Inspector. In this small piece of paper we can find that the owner of the material is the US Ordnance Department. That should put to rest the thought of what they are and who they were for. It also shows us that a brand new out of the box scabbard has that small dent in the bottom of the scabbard they almost all exhibit. This was due to the packing of the scabbards heel to toe and overlapping which caused the larger mouth piece to press against the bottom of the underlying scabbard causing the dent. We can also find that the packing slip is dated August 13, 1918. This would be very late to actually get into the war before the Armistice was signed on November 11, 1918 showing why virtually all the scabbards now seen are still in very good or better condition. These were probably stored and never distributed by the crate load at some Ordnance facility. The Experimental marking accounts for why did not show up in any catalogs of Ordnance or later Quartermaster when the assumed responsibility for all edged tools. LF&C made 204,217 of these scabbards so they are not particularly rare but they do seem to be scarce at times. These scabbards are merely a footnote in the history of the bolos but none the less it is very satisfying when we can put it all together.