• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#226 Kadet

Kadet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:35 AM

The vet that I believe wore this helmet is seated in the front w/ the dark coveralls and UDT coral boots. This picture was take on the beach at Little Creek, VA in the early post WWII era

Attached Images

• 2009.0088.10.jpg

#227 hink441

hink441
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,825
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

Kadet,

That is a great looking UDT helmet!! Thanks for posting.

Chris

#228 KRIS FORD

KRIS FORD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 176,157
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

Oh, I really miss the sound of the needle gun at work on the deck directly above your rack!!! Great times!!

Yep..good times! That, with flight ops..if you had a late watch..good luck getting any rack time!

. Oh yeah!! Red Lead Primer. Out lawned by the Navy in the late 1980s, still chipping it up in the Mid 1990s. I actually enjoyed Needle Gunning. You could just find a spot, and shut everything else out. I was still doing it as a Senior Chief. I'd dump the paper work on my SM1 and go "Bust Rust" ⚓️

Writing obscenities in a big square of non skid with the needle gun was always a hoot too! Then bust sweetheart trying to needle it up SNICKERING AND LAUGHING like little kids before someone got mad LOL. Also, seemed like there was never enough hose!

But yes..there was a certain ZEN of getting in the zone with the needle gun and was oddly satisfying when you were done with a spot..then primer and paint with pride, and it would look like a million bucks if you did it right! (or re-lay non skid..have done a few acres worth of that too! Kind of like a stucco, really..)

Don't forget to Nevr-dull any surrounding brightwork! ;)

Topic related..trying to rack my brains about the helmets we had on CVN-73..there were bulkhead mounted racks near the Damage Control lockers.. I want to say they were either OD green, and some were gray..(MAYBE?? :huh: )..for the fire party, we had actual red fireman's helmets..when I was on the .50 as an Airman in Weps, it was a red flight deck cranial (built in eyes and ears were nice with that..) the phone talkers were gray..and always got a Spaceballs joke or two! (phone talker was always the butt of a few Darth Helmet jokes.. :P )

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)