Color of paint on USN helmets

ccmax

. Wow, someone went all out with putting on the position on this. Usually, you were lucky to have what repair locker it belonged to

I forgot to mention that it has "unit 72" stenciled on the back.

Chris

Salvage Sailor

Here is one I got from eBay. Strange looking combination. This is a rear seam, swivel bail, Schlueter made with a heat lot of 446A.

Has a dark gray, light gray, and the red paint.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

BTW, to me this salty helmet looks like sunfaded haze grey and red lead primer sloshed over the OD/white etc.

BTW, to me this salty helmet looks like sunfaded haze grey and red lead primer sloshed over the OD/white etc.

Holding this helmet in hand, it appears the shell was first painted dark gray over the original green. The red stripe was then painted over the dark gray. Then eventually the light haze gray was painted over the entire helmet. The light haze gray has been partially stripped (by previous owner) to see the other colors. I hope this picture will show what I am trying to say.

post-10825-0-94524000-1433708882.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Thanks,

We may clearly see the DC red now, not red lead.

And for the purists out there, this is what I would call 'haze grey', the darker grey is 'deck grey', all colors used from the 1950's to the 1990's.

Salvage Sailor

USN Corpsman helmet.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's a nice Corpsman's helmet. All of the White helmets I saw used during my service were Medical (MO's, Corpsmen, HMC's, etc)

Steve has mentioned Yellow DC helmets a couple of times. I've seen those used too, but only saw them in Aviation units or flight deck crews (unrep). I mostly saw them in use on bird farms and air stations, especially by the shore based fire fighters at NAS facilities.

On bird farms (carriers) I've also seen dark green helmets worn for fueling/defueling transfers while waiting our turn to fill up. Carriers always had the greatest variety of colors used on gear. I never served on one, but served with several. You can see quite alot going on aboard the other vessels when you're steaming close aboard in a replenishment formation.

Photo: USS LUCE (DDG-38) Bermuda Triangle 1979

Unrep 1979.jpg

Here is another USN helmet. This one is stenciled "QM" and is rather salty. It is also labeled "JOOD Oboyle" on the inside.

post-10825-0-24837600-1434394837.jpg

For the readers: JOOD = Junior Officer of the Deck, usually an Ensign or LT(jg)

Here is another red helmet. I would say the paint was actually poured onto the helmet rather than actually painted. Helmet is filled with typical USN graffiti. Even though this helmet is the proverbial SH#% BA} helmet, I really like this one.

post-10825-0-21813700-1434395107.jpg

Another beautiful shot?

post-10825-0-49750700-1434395307.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

one of my nicest USN helmets, this one attributed to a 1st Loader, AA gun ... I guess from a 40mm gun crew.

E

post-17306-0-13566800-1437382228.jpg

Hello,

one of my nicest USN helmets, this one attributed to a 1st Loader, AA gun ... I guess from a 40mm gun crew.

E

. It would be "Anti-Air Craft Gun #4". That would be on Starboard side. Port "Stuff" is odd numbers, Stbd is even. So, basically, second gun, Starboard side, from forward. Depending on ship type, could be 20MM, 40MM, or even 3in .50

. It would be "Anti-Air Craft Gun #4". That would be on Starboard side. Port "Stuff" is odd numbers, Stbd is even. So, basically, second gun, Starboard side, from forward. Depending on ship type, could be 20MM, 40MM, or even 3in .50

Thanks Steve for these additional informations ... you're right, possibly any type of AA gun but the 40mm is my favourite since I read (several times, when I was a teenager) Pacific War Diary by James J Fahey B)

Thanks Steve for these additional informations ... you're right, possibly any type of AA gun but the 40mm is my favourite since I read (several times, when I was a teenager) Pacific War Diary by James J Fahey B)

. Excellent book. In the early 1960s my father was stationed aboard an old LST. Some times on weekends if he had duty aboard I would run around the ship. It had both 40 MM AND 20MM. I MUCH PREFERED THE 40s. More fun to play on ?

. Excellent book. In the early 1960s my father was stationed aboard an old LST. Some times on weekends if he had duty aboard I would run around the ship. It had both 40 MM AND 20MM. I MUCH PREFERED THE 40s. More fun to play on ?

I had the opportunity to fire both, during an amphibious exercise ... compared to our 5.56mm assault rifles (I was a infantry platoon leader), 40mm guns were monsters ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Shore party or shore patrol (police)?

shore Patrol did NOT wear steel helmets. They were a force to regulate liberty parties in the States and friendly ports. Those that were permeate ly assigned wore white helmet liners (like Army MPs). This would be Shore Party. A Sailor assigned to any one of a meet of jobs ashore during an amphibious landing

• 1 month later...

I do not believe any Navy helmets were painted at the factory in anything other than OD.

. Agree. They came new to the ships from the factories in OD Green. If they were painted, we did it on the ships. If this is spray painted, then a bunch were set up and painted all at once with a spray rig. Not uncommon

Hi, even having it in hand, it's very hard to tell if this is a factory paint job or not. But it really looks like there's only one layer of top paint. There's a red primer with some green 'freckles' here and there, but nothing enough to make me think that a full blown underlying green layer of paint exists.

Maybe the layers are just too thin, I don't know. Sure looks like a 'quick' paint job, so perhaps it was done on a ship after all. Can't say for sure.

Some detailed pics

2015_09_09_002_004.jpg

2015_09_09_002_006.jpg

2015_09_09_001_006.jpg

2015_09_09_002_002.jpg

Have to agree with Sigs and he saw them first hand...the Navy got them green.

I bought a stack of 15 helmets once back in the mid 1990s.All were swivel bales with sewn straps and fron seams.All mint with paper seperating the helmets.The surplus wholesaler told me they came off decommisioned ships and storage at a naval facility.All were WW2 and all were green.

Yeah, if you look at the chin strap, you se Zhaze gray. We sprayed these things deck gray when we could get it in cans. I can't get the first pic to I large, but looks like it's been repainted. The red led Ship board primer (pre 1990) is showing. And, yes, when we repainted helmets, we did indeed do the inside too. Rust is rust. We sanded it out, primed and pointed. If we could get some shade of gray (Deck Gray in this case) we used it. Very nice Zander well preserved Navy helmet. Not factory gray as they didn't do that, but nicely done "Squid" paint job