• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#276 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,143
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

Duke, no problem. As long as the images and information is relevant, post as much as you'd like. The more information we can gather on gas-masks as used by the AEF in one place, the better.

Speaking of gas-masks and respirators,  here's a photo of, from left to right. a French M2 mask, an American corrected English (CE) mask, a French 1917 ARS mask and a 1917 German Lederschutzenmaske worn by American ambulance personnel.

Attached Images

• Gasmask-Types.jpg

#277 A Gustaf B

A Gustaf B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78,812
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

Photo No. 149: Although they were primarily used as messengers, pigeons carrying small cameras were sometimes put to use as aerial photographers. Before launching, a timer was set on the camera, which snapped the camera’s shutter at predetermined intervals while the pigeon flew over enemy territory.

Having seen a number of the photos with pigeons with cameras strapped to them, I seriously doubt that they were ever used during WWI.  I do know that a photo was taken from a pigeon before airplanes were around, but the chance that a photo would be of any value from such a device is slight, and this type of camera could only take a single photo, as there was no auto winding mechanism.  But the biggest  problem I see with the cameras show is negative effect they would have on CG, with that much weight so far forward, it is unlikely the bird could fly at all.

Having said that, this is an outstanding thread on gas masks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users