Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Being eaten by the monster . . . . . . .

This photo was taken during the 1984 Normandy fortieth anniversary trip, I can't recall what needed doing but it was only something minor I believe, I had removed the horn to reach what I was looking at, this was my long wheelbase GMC 353, 6 x 6 truck.

That was quite a journey with only eight miles to the gallon. Hahaaa

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2019.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ken, now that's what you call a hoody (or were you looking for a bee in the bonnet -_-)

Rene

Hi Ken, I sadly joined too late to have been able to interact with Ian. I've read several of his posts and comments with great pleasure and I'd like to think that we would have gotten along just fine.

Rene

This place attracts only the finest minds. Well, at least until I showed up anyway.

Mikie

Being eaten by the monster . . . . . . .

This photo was taken during the 1984 Normandy fortieth anniversary trip, I can't recall what needed doing but it was only something minor I believe, I had removed the horn to reach what I was looking at, this was my long wheelbase GMC 353, 6 x 6 truck.

That was quite a journey with only eight miles to the gallon. Hahaaa

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2019.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

For some reason, this reminds me of my last trip to the dentist.

Mikie

Vehicles . . . . . . . . . . .

I always thought that the US Army had some great looking vehicles during WWII.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_294d.jpeg

As a kid, the thing I loved about US wartime vehicles like these trucks is that they were much easier for an artistically challenged person like me to draw than some of the British and German ones.

Mikie

My first attempt at a "Then and Now" comparison. Nowhere as nearly difficult to find as those shown in this thread, I did have to wait until I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee to get the "Now" shot. This is a photo of Umbrella Rock, which throughout the late 19th Century was a place for people to have their photos taken. The following is a description of the site which is located in the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park.

"Point Lookout, a rocky outcropping atop Lookout Mountain, commands a sweeping view of the Tennessee River and the city of Chattanooga.
The mountain was captured by Union forces in 1863, and shortly thereafter an enterprising photographer opened a summit studio, taking portraits of Union soldiers posing on the cliffs and on the distinctive formation known as Umbrella Rock.
Soldiers returning home with photos of the magnificent view helped raise the profile of the scenic spot, which became a major tourist destination. Thousands of people climbed to the point to have their pictures taken on the precarious-looking stack of rocks, which was finally fenced off in 1940 over safety concerns."
Here is a view of Civil War era soldiers sitting on the rock, a more typical view with civilian perched atop of the rock and a modern day photo of umbrella rock. It was fenced off in the 1940s and only the side opposite to the most photographed views can easily be seen.
post-203-0-55325300-1571417159_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at a "Then and Now" comparison. Nowhere as nearly difficult to find as those shown in this thread, I did have to wait until I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee to get the "Now" shot. This is a photo of Umbrella Rock, which throughout the late 19th Century was a place for people to have their photos taken. The following is a description of the site which is located in the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park.

"Point Lookout, a rocky outcropping atop Lookout Mountain, commands a sweeping view of the Tennessee River and the city of Chattanooga.
The mountain was captured by Union forces in 1863, and shortly thereafter an enterprising photographer opened a summit studio, taking portraits of Union soldiers posing on the cliffs and on the distinctive formation known as Umbrella Rock.
Soldiers returning home with photos of the magnificent view helped raise the profile of the scenic spot, which became a major tourist destination. Thousands of people climbed to the point to have their pictures taken on the precarious-looking stack of rocks, which was finally fenced off in 1940 over safety concerns."
Here is a view of Civil War era soldiers sitting on the rock, a more typical view with civilian perched atop of the rock and a modern day photo of umbrella rock. It was fenced off in the 1940s and only the side opposite to the most photographed views can easily be seen.

Pretty good job for your first Then and Now! I'd love to visit there one of these days.

Mikie

General Apathy

.post-344-0-83326800-1571440763_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mikie! It's a beautiful site.

Hi Erick, yes Mikie's right that's a great shot, I still can't figure out which one is you . . . . . . . . . . . . :o don't know if Mikie can :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 19 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Rene, Owen, Bob, I have taken screen grabs of your comments regarding Sabrejet and emailed them to him, he's deeply grateful for your regards you send to him. . . . . . . . . . . . :blush:

.post-344-0-11367900-1571441612_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-41407000-1571441657_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Repurposing a massive WWII flak tower . . . . . . . . . . .

it appears reading the link below that a WWII German flak tower in the centre of Hamburg is going to be renovated into a 126 room hotel with roof gardens, bar, restaurant etc . . . . . . . . . . they were too costly to destroy at the end of WWII so they initially housed local citizens and council offices inside them whilst rebuilding of the city went ahead.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/nazi-bunker-hotel-scli-intl/index.html

Hi Erick, yes Mikie's right that's a great shot, I still can't figure out which one is you . . . . . . . . . . . . :o don't know if Mikie can :lol:

Ken, its obvious, Im the photographer! ?

General Apathy

Ken, its obvious, Im the photographer! ?

That's a shame, I thought that your girlfriend took it before you were married . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

Normandy Farm Find . . . . . . . . . .

I was sent this photograph a couple off days ago, appears a farmer in the Normandy area recovered this from his field, short lightweight recoiless cannon used by German airborne forces . . . . . believed to be found in 6th Fallschirmjager area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 20 2019.

.post-344-0-54251100-1571608865_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-72982300-1571608993.jpeg

General Apathy

I am really sorry to have to bring this to the attention of the forum members . . . . . . .

Today I received this photograph from a militaria friend Ian ( Sabrejet )

Have you seen this Ken? Popped up on social media today. Apparently it occurred just yesterday! They need to be identified and then named / shamed! 1f620.png
Is there a possibility that they are from the state of Utah as they have left that clear . . . . . . . . . . . ????
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 24 2019.
.post-344-0-64897500-1571921775.jpeg

General Apathy

On a jollier note I would like to introduce one of my life-long friends Jim Dowdall, Jim has been in the film / stunt industry pretty much most of his adult life. Here he's talking about some of his experiences whilst filming with military vehicles, I have worked on several films where Jim has been the stunt man or stunt director. He has worked on many films outside of the war movie genre, he stunts on the British television car series Top-Gear, way back the 1977 New Avengers ( featuring the delicious Joanna Lumley as Purdy ), Star-Wars, and many more.

Jim was born on the same day as myself but the preceding year, I often meet up with Jim and a gaggle of friends and partners for an evening out in London at the time of our birthdays, however this year I have a party going on here about forty-eight friends attending.

I hope you enjoy this short insight into the background of military vehicles used in fieldwork.

I am really sorry to have to bring this to the attention of the forum members . . . . . . .

Today I received this photograph from a militaria friend Ian ( Sabrejet )

Have you seen this Ken? Popped up on social media today. Apparently it occurred just yesterday! They need to be identified and then named / shamed! 1f620.png
Is there a possibility that they are from the state of Utah as they have left that clear . . . . . . . . . . . ????

Morons, they are a waste of breathable air.

Simon Lerenfort

Normandy Farm Find . . . . . . . . . .

I was sent this photograph a couple off days ago, appears a farmer in the Normandy area recovered this from his field, short lightweight recoiless cannon used by German airborne forces . . . . . believed to be found in 6th Fallschirmjager area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 20 2019.

.attachicon.gifIMG_0712.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_29bc.jpeg

That is one rare piece of equipment, a Leichtgeschütz 40!!

Hope it gets to a museum, looks like the locals re-purposed some parts before it got heaved into the hole!

General Apathy

Seems the premises will be packed Have a great party!

Hi Johan, you're right is seems that the old barbecue shack is going to be stacked out with that number . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 28 2019.

.post-344-0-11161700-1572270205_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

That is one rare piece of equipment, a Leichtgeschütz 40!!

Hope it gets to a museum, looks like the locals re-purposed some parts before it got heaved into the hole!.

Hi Simon, I have to say that I have no idea what the intentions are for this find, however you are right it would be nice to see it in a museum.